Thread: Umbrella holder (NOT a bimini!)

Umbrella holder (NOT a bimini!)

I know this mod might pale in relative comparison to all the cool engine stuff some are doing, but I am happy with how it turned out. Plus, modifications are all relative, right?

My umbrella erection system (NOT a bimini!) allows us to pop up a standard 8' beach umbrella with its 1" pole while we are at anchor. Umbrella stows in the bow, and holder fits neatly in the front of the in-floor locker. Some of you remember my last holder system, but I was never happy with it.

This time I used a stainless rod holder ($2.50 @ a resale shop), then glued 1" foam pipe insulation ($.97) to the umbrella pole. At first the fit was too snug, so I relieved some material with my table saw. Now it slips in and out of the rod holder perfectly, and has a cushion capability to withstand rolling water at the sandbar. Voila, 'eh?

So...does this post qualify for the least expensive mod ever?
    Didn't we have a post about that once?

Last edited by Tony; 08-27-2009 at 05:51 PM. Reason: ...just a slight ****-up!

Member: Red Boat Club
    1996 22' Classic
    Volvo 7.4GSi/DPX (E-4 props)
    bone stock 72.8 gps mph

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    I know this mod might pale in relative comparison to all the cool engine stuff some are doing, but I am happy with how it turned out. Plus, modifications are all relative, right?

My umbrella erection system (NOT a bimini!) allows us to pop up a standard 8' beach umbrella with its 1" pole while we are at anchor. Umbrella stows in the bow, and holder fits neatly in the front of the in-floor locker. Some of you remember my last holder system, but I was never happy with it.

This time I used a stainless rod holder ($2.50 @ a resale shop), then glued 1" foam pipe insulation ($.97) to the umbrella pole. At first the fit was too snug, so I relieved some material with my table saw. Now it slips in and out of the rod holder perfectly, and has a cushion capability to withstand rolling water at the sandbar. Voila, 'eh?

do you have to remove the floor locker cover and leave it off to use it?
    machinist ,bore it deeper,ream it bigger, and lap it to a fine finish

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...=2&theater

Yes, I take it off, turn it 90 degrees, and then place it mostly over the locker compartment.
    It is lipped up a couple inches, but still serves as the floor, kind of.

1996 22' Classic
    bone stock 72.8 gps mph

Nice clean job, I am impressed.
    Randy owner of Donzis since 1966
    High Performance props 3, 4, and 5 blade. Turbo and Stainless Steel props. Props for old Volvo drives.
    The reason congressmen try so hard to get re-elected is that they would hate to have to make a living under the laws they've passed.

Yes, I take it off, turn it 90 degrees, and then place it mostly over the locker compartment.
    It is lipped up a couple inches, but still serves as the floor, kind of.

Cool: I got to ask, where did you find the umbrella with the red and white?
    machinist ,bore it deeper,ream it bigger, and lap it to a fine finish

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...=2&theater

Cool. Is the UES (umbrella erection system) base mounted in the floor locker? (From the brackets in the pics I assumed it's screwed or bolted into one of the locker walls.)

Time to cut a nice piece of marine plywood (or build a nice teak grate) or something as a second locker cover, with a hole for the umbrella. Maybe even a 2-piece or hinged 2-piece if you wanna get fancy, and you can still get in the locker without pulling the whole thing out. Dress it up with a router and stain and oil/varnish--it'll be pretty swanky.

Of course this would bust your low-budget award...

(However I would recommend against mounting a bracket to hang the factory locker cover from the umbrella pole as a shelf. Though it would serve double-duty as the old favorite appetizer-tray/bait-cutting-board.)
    "I don't have time to get into it, but he went through a lot." -Pulp Fiction

Great idea

i like it i was thing on doing something like that on my boat. now i have some good ideas.can you post apicwith it in the holder on the boat.
    thescooter

Thanks for the compliment, Randy.

Joe, I got real lucky at a Meijers one day and found a red & white one.
    It is not a very common color in a beach umbrella.

A second locker cover is a great idea, as is making it out of teak.
    I work better with wood than I do with fiberglass...

When I get back up north I will post some more pictures...

1996 22' Classic
    bone stock 72.8 gps mph

Great pic, Tony. I remember that day like it was yesterday. What a great event...... except that Mr. Big had to complain that we did too much mooring and not enough running. And that he "wouldn't come back" as a result.

Fcuk him. It was a great event. Too bad his bad attitude caused the end of the Torch Lake event.

Excellent pic, Tony. A great picture of Donzi folks having a ton of fun. Thanks for posting it!!!!!
    Randy

This time I used a stainless rod holder ($2.50 @ a resale shop), then glued 1" foam pipe insulation ($.97) to the umbrella pole...
    Tony, I've been thinking about doing that mod ever since I saw your original post.

......and no, it doesn't qualify you for least expensive mod ever. The least expensive mods are free.
    Now if you could do a mod that gave you money back.......
    Why is faster never fast enough.

Thread Information