Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 19 ... LastLast

Thread: Donzi 16 OB Horsepower Questions

AndyDiSario Guest

Indecision; No Substitute for Real Experience.

Tom (Donzi Racer),

Ok, I don't mean to kill ya! I'm guessing I'm already pushing the limits quite far with the weight and power with which I'm working.

First, yes, good guess: you are indeed talking to a fellow CONTROL nut. Fern could tell you all about it. My take is you don't get to ride high-performance street motorcycles (in dangerous So. FL no less) nearly 30 years without insisting on attempting to control the vehicle and every dang thing around you, defend yourself and your passenger to the nth degree, etc. I insist on direct, immediate control in my vehicles, tools, garages, household, you name it. I hate Microsoft OS, and preferred OS/2 on these toy-computer PCs mostly because MS usurps too much control from the user. I have never owned an automatic transmission in my car nor motorcycle, though that is what Fern prefers in her car. (Yes, I did teach her and several others to drive a manual, ride a motorcycle, shift gears, drive boats, you name it.)

Yes, many of us guys are control fans, but I've found *we're not all the same!* Some are happy to let automatic transmissions, automated GPS'es, power seats, power tops, automated gizmos, women drive the remote, and so much more attempt to make the decisions. Not I! Some guys simply have no real mechanical interest either. And that's OK too. Believe it or not, We Are Not the Norm!

Just another example of insistence on direct control. Most younger guys now like turbos; what's with that? At least on gas engines, Not I! I hate 'em. #1 reason: Turbo Lag. Yech. No direct response, it's not for me. #2 reason: When I worked in the garage, I cannot tell you how many dead turbo'ed cars showed up in the shop, customer could not afford to replace the very-pricey turbo, and just continued driving the car with dead turbo, mandatory low compression engine, slug of a motor, etc.

Yeah, I thrive on crisp, responsive control. It's truly my thing. I'll bet most high-performance vehicle owners agree wholeheartedly.

Now, more to the point. You had put the fear of God, err... weight into me with your Black Max story. You were quite fortunate to have such a kind, fun grand-dad as a kid, and as he has surely passed by now, may he rest in peace. (I myself enjoyed wonderful granddads too, however none was the pure motorhead nor watersports-fan you mention, and that's OK too.)

I'm still waiting to learn the weight of your Yamaha 200, and likely treat that as a reasonable threshold. Just what model is it? I'd like to do some research. You are successful with the Yamaha and I'm just dieing to know some practical weight examples. I really don't want to repeat the Black Max story.

Mercury's Serial # tag on my Promax shows 375 pounds; I sure hope it's true. Yet, the Mercury Racing factory Service Manual I bought (great deal over EBay, by the way) shows under Specs, Standard 20" Shaft Outboard Weight of 428 lbs. Quite a difference. Any idea why the deviation?

In the meantime, one other very-knowledgeable fella, Greg also warned very, very seriously about every pound I add to the transom. Greg, are you there??

And what does that 5" or more of jackplate offset do? Could it cause the boat to porpoise?

I once tried to improve top speed of my 1997 Yamaha Waverunner GP1200, disappointed it was not the top-speed equivalent of its predecessor, the amazing-for-its-era, 62-mph-in-flat-water-only 1995 Waveraider 1100. I enjoyed favortism, short-cut a long line of waiting customers and got one of the first shortened, high-speed aftermarket ride plates from Riva Yamaha. Less resistance = more speed, or so was the theory. I bolted it on, sealed up the jet-pump with Marine Goop and headed out to Biscayne National Park with about 15 other riders for dozens of miles, back in the day, when PWC were legal there. The boat porpoised so badly, it wore out my knees; they hurt for weeks due to just trying to ride it with Fern aboard also for the day, refusing to back down. I still have knee ache, at least partially from that incident.

Now, again remember you are talking (writing, whatever) to a pure novice in this area with outboards, jackplates, propellers and more. I'm thrilled to be learning this wonderful game, yet fully realize There Is No Substitute for Real Experience. Double that now, as far as boating goes. So the best I can do at present, sitting here at my desk is pick the brains of you kind folks who know better.

>With the money you are spending on the rig, the motor, and the setup...

Wasn't it Ben Franklin who wrote "When a man says 'It's not the money, it's the principle,' it's the money"? Well, in this case, it's really not *just* the money.

Now, I'm gonna give you another perspective. No, I am not a wealthy man and value is the name of my game -- Good ole American Bang-for-the-buck. However, remember what I wrote: It's far cheaper than buying a senator! I really mean this.

Here is the competition, as I measure it:
    http://www.yamaha-motor.com/waverunn.../features.aspx
    1.8L, supercharged 250 hp, 68 mph in magazine tests. $13,199 starting MSRP. I've wanted this boat since 1990, If Fern would have let me, I'd have mortgaged the house for it, it's finally available, and thanks to politics, I no longer play this game. With this baby, I'd certainly max-out the extended warranty; at least a supercharger provides direct response, though admittedly, the direct hit of immediate throttle response is less significant with a boat than on a car or bike.

Nonetheless, after all these years, after several failed attempts, I now have seen the light. It is not an oncoming train. It's name is Donzi.

When my wonderful, versatile boat beats this baby and beats it fair and square ("Spanks it real good" as the younger generation says), then I'll be happy. Really, really happy.

That's my 2-cents worth for the evening.
    -Andy

AndyDiSario Guest

"Happy Photo"

Just Say N20,

Glad you enjoyed the photo. I know I sure did(!). So much so, it is my PC desktop background, and is posted in my garages.

-Andy

AndyDiSario Guest

Out On A Limb Here

Here I go again pushing the limits.
    This has nothing to do with Donzi, except there were many at this event and this pic was taken on their turf (err.. water, as it will). I've read the forum rules and if anyone finds this offensive, please post notice here, or email me directly. I will immediately remove it.
    Here's a picture of our unofficial Columbus Day Regatta Queen, Photo Contest winner 2006, taken in Biscayne National Park, Key Biscayne, at what I feel is one of the coolest boating parties on the planet, here in sub-tropical paradise; it's an entire 3-day weekend of thousands of boats and their crews relaxing, playing and partying like there is no tomorrow, for a Marti Gras-like celebration on the water.
    If you can ever make it here over Columbus Day Weekend, bring beads to share, and a squirt-gun to defend yourself.
    Enjoy! (Or complain if you must.)
    -Andy
    DiSario@bellsouth.net
    Last edited by MadPoodle; 05-23-2009 at 10:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyDiSario View Post
    Here I go again pushing the limits.

This has nothing to do with Donzi, except there were many at this event and this pic was taken on their turf (err.. water, as it will). I've read the forum rules and if anyone finds this offensive, please post notice here, or email me directly. I will immediately remove it.

Here's a picture of our unofficial Columbus Day Regatta Queen, Photo Contest winner 2006, taken in Biscayne National Park, Key Biscayne, at what I feel is one of the coolest boating parties on the planet, here in sub-tropical paradise; it's an entire 3-day weekend of thousands of boats and their crews relaxing, playing and partying like there is no tomorrow, for a Marti Gras-like celebration on the water.

If you can ever make it here over Columbus Day Weekend, bring beads to share, and a squirt-gun to defend yourself.

Enjoy! (Or complain if you must.)

-Andy
    DiSario@bellsouth.net
    nice! & Enjoyed.. No complaints here

AndyDiSario Guest

Pushing the Limits

Okiedokie.

I stand corrected.

If I'd found something written specifically prohibiting it, I wouldn't have posted it in the first place. Perhaps it's one's definition of "family friendly."

I will play Devils' Advocate here just for grins. In all of Europe, as well as South Beach Miami, and clearly-marked areas of Haulover Beach in Broward, this is accepted, common behavior. Funny, I've seen lots of children at these beaches and they act just as normal, healthy, well-adjusted children do and as children should, play in the surf, build sand-castles and are totally unfazed! It's the adults who seem to sometimes have hangups!

Oh well, that's the American Puritan way. Still, a great country, best on Earth, in my opinion.

By the way, you are fotunate my friend to have lived here (I assume you mean FL, "Just North of Cuba") all your life. Everyone should have the opportunity to live where he/she wishes, at least in adulthood. The US provides us that great opportunity. Anyway, I in contrast to you, grew up until age 14.5 years old, when my family migrated here, from NJ -- yes, even Newark, NJ. No offense to our fine friends in the NE, but for me, FL is Pure Paradise (excepting during hurricanes, of course).

I'll add that if anyone wants the photo directly, simply email me. No big deal, really.

Andy DiSario
    Boca Raton, FL
    DiSario@bellsouth.net
    Last edited by AndyDiSario; 05-23-2009 at 11:47 AM. Reason: Offer Photo Contest Winner to others

AndyDiSario Guest

Jack Plate Chosen

Update: My current jack plate choice is the BMS Ultra HD, at 37 lbs. on the transom:

http://www.bobsmachine.com/

-Andy
    Last edited by AndyDiSario; 05-31-2009 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Nixed the idea of using the BMS Versajac

AndyDiSario Guest

Looking for a prop now

Currently, the boat is rigged with the Mercury Pro Max 225X, new hydraulic steering and BMS 4" hydraulic jack plate. The motor starts and runs, so far in the shop only. Specs show maximum RPM is 6800. We're looking for a prop now. Suggestions appreciated.

First advice is to use at least a 24" pitch (from Michael of the Registry). The mechanic, Steve tells me a square hub assembly is used; we'll need something used to try to start with and all he has available is a 21. Seems this will be much too low a pitch, but obviously, I have no experience here.

(Greg, Tom, are you there?)

Regards,
    Andy DiSario
    Boca Raton, FL
    DiSario@bellsouth.net
    561-479-0578

AndyDiSario Guest

Searching for the proper prop

Tom (Donzi Racer) recommended previously:
    >get Grizz to help you prop it correctly

Grizz, any prop advice?

-Andy

Ok get me a base line like Scott said, type and make of prop. The problem is all the 16 OBs, have different engines, so every one is different.
    Randy owner of Donzis since 1966
    High Performance props 3, 4, and 5 blade. Turbo and Stainless Steel props. Props for old Volvo drives.
    The reason congressmen try so hard to get re-elected is that they would hate to have to make a living under the laws they've passed.

AndyDiSario Guest

"Damned Donzi" returns home

Update: the boat is home now. I've spent quite some time sorting out several items, a bit much to list now. Steve (the mechanic) did a fine job of getting the majority of mechanical basics sorted out quite well, however his technician did leave quite some electrical/gauge work to sort out, still in progress.

Took it on vacation to Captiva a little over a week ago, taking it out in the Gulf and Intracoastal over there (west coast). I was ultra-careful not knowing the powertrain, the limits of this beast, and especially the often-shallow-inside waters, using a borrowed prop.

Then, took the boat out this past weekend for the better part of a day in known local waters (finally!) with my wife, Fern and good buddy (and wealth of boating knowledge), Stuart.

This boat accelerates like none other I've ever experienced. Finally, I own a boat which can (almost) be compared to my Yamaha V-Max motorcycle in acceleration! Of the various components, it's the lift plate that impresses us (all of us) the most. It's simply amazing. Drop it down for a most-impressive holeshot. Cruise at an easy 30 mph at middle RPM in relatively-calm water, without touching the throttle, then lift the motor all the way up and watch the revs rise a little and speed increase up to 7 mph! Bravo!

Still wasn't able to get top-speed mph even with the 21" pitch prop, as I was careful not to scare my wife too badly, who calls this a "white knucle ride." I did see Yamaha FX160 (my last Waverunner) top speed numbers on the GPS at 56 and approaching 58 mph. There was lots of room left I felt in better conditions with more RPM, even that with the 21 prop.

Next objective will be to equal and hopefully better my old Waveraider 1100 top-speed numbers in the low 60s (63-65 mph readout in glassy water only, but in pre-GPS days using only a goofy water-wheel speedometer).

Then, I'd next like to equal and hopefully better the latest supercharged / turbocharged PWC which show up to 68 mph stock on the radar/GPS in mag reports.

After that, the sky's the limit. We'll see.

I have lots of small projects to do to the boat remaining, and unfortunately, our house also, which is currently undergoing major interior renovation (my wife's project really, as I'm much more of a garage guy); still, I get stuck as Mr. Fix-it of last resort around the house and the Honey-Do lists and construction people's work items for me kept getting in the way of my preferred vehicle work and activities.

As far as the Promax 225, we love its smoke-free operation, so much better than our old premixed OBs -- the Donzi's ex-Johnson, and our Stingray's Force.

Still, a high-priority item at current will be to quiet down that noisy Promax! It's way too loud for my wife, a bit much for my passengers I suppose, and even started to annoy me. I love the motor as it offers the most power-to-weight that can be bolted onto the transom (even better than my second choice, the pricey, 200 HP E-Tec), and it's bang-for-the-buck value is great too! Still, I gotta quiet this thing down.

Current thinking is much of the noise is due to that ultra-lightweight engine cowling, completely void of any insulation. Greg suggested using:
    http://www.dynamat.com/ This could be a real good alternative, I hope.

Another question: Does anyone know if I can purchase a quieter engine cowling for the Promax 225X, leaving me to sell the stock ultra-lightweight one? It'd surely be heavier, but a few pounds shouldn't make that much difference -- could be worth it.

-Andy

"All things in moderation. Too much of anything is no good, well ... except ... horsepower and garage space."

have you gone on the www.screamandfly.com site its an outboard boating site,out of long is.ny area.They know outboards.I just bought a 16 outboard with a johnson 200hp outboard.picking it up next sunday.So Iam no help to you right now,my 16 comes with cmc manual jack plate and foot trim.Ill post pictures and my plans soon.good luck.

AndyDiSario Guest

Another new Donzi 16 Classic Outboard Owner

Fasttrucker,

Thanks. Very cool. Best of luck with your 16 outboard. Do keep me appraised. If my very-limited (but slowly growing) knowledge about this boat can be of any use to you, don't hesitate to contact me.

I have browsed ScreamAndFly before. Is there any way to "Search" the forums for information, such as in the Donzi Registry? Do you know, does one need join as a "Team Member" in order to post?

Regards,
    Andy DiSario
    Boca Raton, FL
    DiSario@bellsouth.net
    561-479-0578

AndyDiSario Guest

Question about Mercury Promax 225X Outboard Weight

I'm considering the competition, 200 hp Evinrude E-Tec vs. my Mercury Promax 225X.

The E-Tec brochure shows its 200 hp, 20"-shaft, 2589 cc outboard weighs 419 lbs.

I have a question regarding the Promax'es weight. The motor serial number tag shows a weight of 375 lbs. In post #99 is a photo:
    http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthre...utboard&page=7

Yet, the Promax Service Manual shows in Section 1A - Specifications an outboard weight for the 20" standard shaft model of 428 lbs. Which is correct? Could it be the serial number tag weight does not include the Lower Unit, which is a Sport Master gearcase, in this case? Just guessing.

Accordingto Buizilla, "a 2000 year 225 ProMax weighs 392#." Ours is a 2002 year; should this be close?

As I recall, it was mentioned to me once (by Greg, I believe) a Promax indeed weighs right about 375 lbs on a fish-hook.

Just trying to compare apples to apples. Reason I'm interested is yesterday, I bought Dynamat insulation to help quiet down the Promax. If this does not work out, I would then consider selling this otherwise-wonderful Promax and looking for an E-Tec. Surely, I want to know what to expect if downgrading (in power) to the 200 HP E-Tec. Truthfully, if the Promax serial number tag is indeed correct (375 lbs), based on my experience now with the boat, it's very-likely not a good idea to add another 44 lbs to the transom in order rig an E-Tec, regardless of HP. Given this is the case (the Promax weighs 375, and a 419-lb E-Tec is indeed too much weight), the E-Tec is ruled out as a power choice, as the most-powerful model under 419 lbs is the 115 hp V4 at 369 lbs.

Looks like I better get to work quieting down that Promax!

-Andy

get a 200 HO
    Charter Member - WAFNC, SBBR, KWOSG
    1955 Perfect Mate
    1986 Hornet III, 502-415 TRS

www.donzi.org

yes e-tec 200 ho is factory tuned and makes more hp then 200.also has the faster/high performance lower unit iam told.Maybe faster then your pro-max?

Thread Information