Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: I removed my forward storage bin today.

I removed my forward storage bin today.

There have been threads about this and most seem to agree that the underbow area of a 22 Classic is poorly utilized. So, screw it, I'm opening up the bow of my boat. This was not a hasty decision; I've been thinking about this since I bought the boat a year ago. I removed the forward storage bin and cut down the floorboard to the level of the center section. I bought edge trim at Boater's World that matches the existing trim around the dash.
    I will have the front carpet edge sewn and will install snaps. Next I will glass in a 1/2 inch plywood floor and will carpet the underbow area for lots of stowage space and a place to crawl into if I need to. I removed 43 pounds from the front of my boat today. Also this still gives me floorboards and I've noticed that my feet were always at the bottom of the floorboard anyway. I will post up-dates as I make progress. I know there will be some purists out there who will say that a killed the value of the boat but I don't think so and it isn't for sale anyway!
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

Don't Worry Carl : we'll give it to yah for just havin the Nads to cut your boat apart.

joe
    machinist ,bore it deeper,ream it bigger, and lap it to a fine finish

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...=2&theater

That's enough for me. I'll probably just remove the forward box section though and leave the foot rests in tact. I already have carpet up front but no floor.

Good job Carl and good idea on the edge trim.
    RickS-E

One more pic.........

Very interesting

Looks a little tight for a sleeping space but it does look like you have uncovered some more room. I can appreciate someone that has the guts to do that! My hat is off to you. Customizing is cool.

Keep the pics coming. Do you have any measurements of the headroom down there?

I would stop short of doing an open bow!
    2001 35 Fountain Lightning w500 EFI's
    1973 X-18 - Merc 383 Magnum
    1974 Chris Craft Roamer with 1271 TI's

Cool

:spongebob Carl, Couple questions:

What Tool(s) did ya use to cut it?

What's the plan for the Fuel Line?

What's the plan for the the Roof or under Deck?

How are you attaching the Ply to the hull?

What do you anticipate the Net Gain or Loss in Weight, 1/2" Ply is not light?

Doc
    Last edited by Dr. Dan; 05-03-2006 at 04:53 AM.
    Because Life Is Better When You're Wet!!!

"Yes...I see you Tennis Champion?" .... You think you own me? Oh that's right... you do own me!"

How are you going to stay in the boat with nothing to brace your feet on?
    U.S.C.G. Master Captain
    "Pioneer of insane speed concepts & creations"

I thought about this after I crawled up front to mount a sub in my blackhawk. I could not believe how much space they wasted!

I have to agree on the footrests though. Do you plan on making or buying some footrests? I used mine all the time to brace myself when running hard in the slop.

Doc, I cut it with a hand jig-saw and a coping saw but the floorboard turned out to be 1 inch thick cored glass so I had to cut away the inner edge of glass and coring to make a lip for the edging. I sealed the top with "Bondo-glass". That was a couple hours work I didn't expect. I'll probably just make a hole in the floor for the fuel lines and tie them over a little. I'll paint the underdeck white and install a light like the one in the engine compartment. I'll glass the floor in but not sure how yet. I can only now get in there. It'll be a little less then one sheet plywood. I'll keep track of the weight I put in but I already took out 43 pounds.

Mr X, I still have floorboards....................

Very nice!!! I could not see it that way in the other pics...

Hmmmmmm...........now where did I leave that sawsall?
    U.S.C.G. Master Captain
    "Pioneer of insane speed concepts & creations"

I didn't see that either. Very nice. Great job!!!

I predict a few more doing this......

it just makes perfect sense to me....

Charter Member - WAFNC, SBBR, KWOSG
    1955 Perfect Mate
    1986 Hornet III, 502-415 TRS

www.donzi.org

Good job. Ever since I saw Paul's 22 where he had this done, I've thought it was the right thing to do.

Phil

Way to go Carl! I agree with others...it does take a lot of guts to cut up a boat, especially a near new one. I've been planning on removing mine...long before I even bought one.
    I like the way you left some of the footrest in place. I hope to remove the entire thing in one piece though. Then I'll make up some type of removeable foot rests.
    I thought of inserting an elbow in the fuel line (at the tank) so it'll lay down better. I admit, this may case problems during fill up if the fuel starts to back up the line because of the 90.
    Why is faster never fast enough.

Rootst, I'm hoping to add no more than about 20 pounds from stock. I will use your tip to seal the underside of the floor. The top will be covered with one layer of fiberglass cloth and then carpeted. Boater's World has a service where they send you a template that you cut and return and they send you your custom cut and edged carpet. I don't know if I'll use snaps or glue it down. I will have the front carpet edge sewn. I don't think there's much I can do about the fuel hoses except work around them. This is mainly for stowage anyway; I'm not making a cuddy. Yeller, you will not get the whole bin section out without separating the boat halves; that's why mine is cut in 2 pieces in post #4. We're getting into the 70s today and sunny so the boat is back together now and I'll be boating today.

Thread Information