Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A story & visual tour of "Big-D" (1989 Z-33)

A story & visual tour of "Big-D" (1989 Z-33)

So, I bought a 1989 Z-33 in October of 2002. I actually wasn't looking for one, for I loved my Z-25 so very much and had spent 4 years re-building her. But, the Z-25 was sold to a great new owner, Dennis Bosch, of Vermont. When I brought the Z-33 home, I took the engines out and completely rebuilt them, with new starters, carbs, exhaust manifolds, oil pans, water pumps, risers, altenators, and electric fuel pumps. I cut through the engine room floor and installed thru-hull fittings for a water source of 1 inch, compared to the much smaller source through the outdrive. I also designed an easy flushing arrangement, whereby I can sit in the back seat and flush the engines. The outdrive oil reservoirs, trim pumps, outdrive pumps and batteries were re-located on the firewall for ease of inspection. I installed new Livorsi gauges and spent over 100 hours, re-wiring, heat shrinking, and installing buss & junction bars. A radio/cd player with hidden antenna was installed. I cut out the fuel tank, in pieces, with a saws-all, and had built & reinstalled the new 140 gallon tank, in the place of the 200 gallon tank. Now, it was time to rebuild to the outside upholstery, an 8 month project, first cutting and replacing every piece of plywood with starboard, then taking it to Premier upholstery in Sarasota, (Donzi uses them too), a 5 month wait, then the reinstall. I then turned to the inside and cut the entire inside out in a day, with a sawsall right down to the fiberglass, and started the whole process over again. I measured and cut every new styrene panel for the inside. The seats were the most challenging, for every piece was a different angle. That process alone, took, several weeks. I purchased 175 feet of 5 ft wide foam backed naugherhide from Premier and began the long process of re-installing the inside side upholstery and headliner. I took the two seats, again, to Premier for their first class workmanship. When I went to pick the seats up, after 4 months, I had requested 158 buttons, that they had forgotten to produce. So, they sat me down on the button machine for a hour or so, to make my own buttons. I rebuilt a step at the entrance to the inside, along with new hatches in the front, where the bed was. Except for a new windsheild, yet to come, this vessel has had every inch touched and re-built by myself. It's been my pleasure to make this 30 month journey. It's not a bragging thing. But, I am often asked about how it has all turned out; so, with your permission, I will share "Big-D" with you.

"She's as close to a mistress as I will ever have. She takes lots of my money, all my time, is very pretty, is nice to be seen in public with and is forever damned expensive to maintain."
    .........Boats are proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!

The engine room

Here's pictures of the under helm wiring, engine room, thru-hull fittings, flushing system, firewall mountings of pumps and oil tanks for the outdrive.

Helm and hatches

Pictures of helm & hatches in the front under where the bed was located.

New interior upholstry & seats

All you see has been rebuilt and reupholstered. New lighting has been installed behind the valences. it's very pretty in the evening.

Talking That's pretty neat Richard!

Do you think you've set a new standard for yourself?
    You should be proud!
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Awesome work Richard, and a one of a kind boat you can be proud of!

Nice job!!!.

Now you'll need a new project...

Frank
    Triple Hatch.
    It's a classic Donzi, not a Donzi Classic.

Thumbs up

Rich it looks absolutely great, now what the hell will you do with all your sapre time?
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

Awesome!! you raised the bar again richard, it really looks fantastic!
    "Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

SEADOGs TampaBay
    SEADOG Outlaws- George is our king, all hail King George!!!

Richard, with your next project, you should save yourself some time and just start with a set of molds!

Cuda, yo're not wrong. In many ways, it would have been easier.

That was a GREAT post - thank you-I really enjoyed it, Id like to see some of the other Donzi owners on the sight do write-ups of their projects with all the pics-It gives inspiration to those of us that feel we are "closer to the beginning than the end" although half the fun is getting there!

Quote Originally Posted by DeepSouthF33
    That was a GREAT post - thank you-I really enjoyed it, Id like to see some of the other Donzi owners on the sight do write-ups of their projects with all the pics-It gives inspiration to those of us that feel we are "closer to the beginning than the end" although half the fun is getting there!

Look's great DONZI GO. Lot's of nice detail work.
    Thanks for all the nice replys on my 33 also.............

Tim.

Beautiful work!
    I know all too well the effort that this took you. Your time frame for this accomplishment is pretty awesome.
    Enjoy it!

Wow, awesome work! She looks better than new!
    1994 Donzi 18 Classic
    Carburated 350 Mercruiser Magnum/Alpha One

Thread Information