Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Speed Wax

Waxing that a** umm BOAT!

I put it up on a stand at the marina or hold it by the eyes. This year i'm in dry dock. Last year, the boat at in the water. When the green funky slime was about .5" long, it would slow my boat down around 5mph so I decided to keep her clean. I still don't believe this thread at all, where are all the testimonys!? Save your $$ for DIDI7 ; )
    DUNESMAN

Pipnit, I am too very skeptical but I was looking at the bottom of my boat at the transom Saturday when it was on the trailer and it had a hard film on it. Probably from our local lakes here that are very dirty. I got to thinking that this build up has probably been happening slowly over the last 5 years and cleaning the bottom up and waxing it may give me a mph or 2. Then I started thinking about how I could wax the bottom and visions of crushed fingers kept popping into my head!

wax

Hey Scott, yah that can be freaky standing under a boat. If you have just a slight film, I wouldn't think you could gain 2mph but I might be wrong. I have an 18' 2+3 '76 with a TRS and a 400hp SBC and when the bottom of my boat was FILTHY and I mean Filthy with the green hairy seaweed that grows in Lake Michigan my boat would slow down about 5-7mph so I don't see how removing the film would give you 2mph but again, I might be wrong. I want to hear from some of the people who bought this stuff. Where in Michigan are you? I'm in Michigan City Indiana about five miles from the s.w. Michigan border.

Geoff
    DUNESMAN

Geoff, I'm in Northern Michigan close to Traverse City.

I know I may not get any mph out of cleaning it. But it's worth a try and it will at least look better! MY "film" is more like a hard brown film. Not slimy at all, but REALLY hard. I figure it's worth a try to clean it up and try some of the speed wax.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dan
    :spongebob Just curious has anyone seen their Wax yet? I was hoping to try it this season.....just curious?

Doc
    Not yet Doc.
    1998 22 Classic

And the Lord said "LET THERE BE FEAR" and so was created a BIG BLOCK CHEVY. GOT BOOST!

Quote Originally Posted by blackhawk
    Geoff, I'm in Northern Michigan close to Traverse City.

I know I may not get any mph out of cleaning it. But it's worth a try and it will at least look better! MY "film" is more like a hard brown film. Not slimy at all, but REALLY hard. I figure it's worth a try to clean it up and try some of the speed wax.
    Hey Cadillac Scott..... Frankfort Randy here. I suggest using vinegar to cut the crud on that 'Hawk hull. My boat had alot from being moored in the Torch River. I tried all kinds of commercial products that didn't cut it. I put plain old vinegar in a spray bottle and it cut right through.

Good luck.

another Randy

Thanks Randy, I'll try that. I don't have access to anything that can lift the boat using the eyes, so what is the best way to get the boat off the bunks?

How often are you at Torch Lake?

Quote Originally Posted by blackhawk
    Thanks Randy, I'll try that. I don't have access to anything that can lift the boat using the eyes, so what is the best way to get the boat off the bunks?

How often are you at Torch Lake?
    When I wax the bottom of the gold-N-rod, I squeeze under the boat while it's on the trailer. It's so tight (how tight is it?) that I have to adjust the tongue to get around under there. I figure I get everything but the 3" x 20' (times 2 bunks) or so that's under the carpeted bunks. I don't have to worry that it will fall on me that way.

We used to go to TL every year and rent a slip at Dewitt's on the Clam. That was when we lived up there year 'round. Now that we live in E. Lansing and make the drive every weekend, it makes no sense to drive another 2 hours to TL. We have Crystal ( 1 mile) and the big lake (2 blocks) away. Those are both pretty good boating <grin>.

I stopped and drooled over your 'Hawk when you had it parked on 115 near the 4th of July weekend. Seems you could get most of the bottom by laying on your back underneath. If not, how about pulling it up on some RR ties or timbers? You should be able to get under it.

Have you had any bites, or did you pull it off the market? Sure is is a fine boat. Enjoy!

Randy

Thanks Randy. I pulled it off the market. I got tired of talking to all the strokes and finally got a chance to go out and enjoy it. Once I go out for a full day I fall in love with it all over again!

I've got a big floor jack that is 2 or 2 1/2 tons. But, I'm not sure where I should lift the boat and hold it up SAFELY.

God Smiled Down From Up Above!!!! I got it. I'll put it on tonight and try it.

I sent out the first batch on tuesday. I'm sorry it wasn't faster. I've been on the road for the last 3 weeks. I'll package more up tonight and get it out.
    EAGLEFLY
    1995 BLACKHAWK

Cool

:spongebob No Problem...Thanks For the update!

Doc

Well I got it. And he wasn't kidding around when he said it was slick. It did work, I got 3-4mph more from it. The only problem I see with it is that it's tough to take the wax off once it's dry. Did you buff it off when you put it on? It took about 45 min. to take it off and I only did the back 5 feet like you said to do. The other thing is, what the hell is this stuff made of?

Will you be selling in A Bay next week? I've got a 28 ZX I'd like to do a before and after on.

message sent

I sent you a private message- thanks

Thread Information