Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Gauging interest - Don & the Beatles

Gauging interest - Don & the Beatles

I spoke with Michael Aronow today. He sent me some photos with the following verbiage. Read it. Its an interesting read.

"The Beatles arrived in New York on February 9, 1964 and performed live on the Ed Sullivan Show on Sunday the 11th, singing I Want to Hold Your Hand.

They flew to Miami on Tuesday and on Thursday the 15th, they spent the day at the home of Morris Levy, the owner of Roulette Records and a friend of the family. I was 13 years old, in eighth grade and home from school with a slight temperature on that fateful day. At about 11:30 AM, my father called from his powerboat plant and asked me if I was still home and if I would like to spend the afternoon with the Beatles. I thought he was kidding and said, "Sure, Dad -- I'd love to spend the afternoon with the Beatles!" Right...

He said to be on the dock in the backyard in twenty minutes and he'd be right by to pick me up. I went out back and, sure enough, my father pulled up in one of his new Formula 23' powerboats (This was actually first formula 23 and #16 raceboat). Off we went to Morris's house!

Morris lived on the Intra-Coastal about a mile and a half from the Fountainbleu Hotel. We pulled into the dock, docked the boat and when we entered Morris's backyard, there THEY were. John was sitting with his first wife, Cynthia, off to my left under an awning. George and his girlfriend were on a lounge a couple of yards from John. Ringo was in the pool and Paul was milling around, socializing and talking. Among the crowd was their host, Morris; Brian Epstein; Murray the K (the WMCA disc jockey known then as "the 5th Beatle") and security everywhere. My father and I joined the party. It was too good to be true. Morris introduced me to the "boys", leading me over and introducing me to them one by one.

Later in the day, my father took them out for the boat ride of
    their lives. My father was a champion powerboat racer and he took the Beatles and Murray the K out for a wild ride into the Atlantic Ocean in his new Formula racer, called "The Cigarette".

Three days later, the Beatles made an encore appearance on the Sullivan show "live" from the Deauville Hotel in Miami Beach and sang "She Loves You".
    Recently, Ringo Starr has said that his day on the ocean was a day he'll never forget.

These pictures were taken that afternoon, the 15th of February, 1964.

They are from my personal collection and have never been widely publicized. On this, the 40th anniversary of their visit, I am making a limited number of them available.

Note from Harbormaster (notice the boat name is same font as the cig logo)

Mike is making 8x10 prints of these photos from the original negatives available only through the Donzi Registry. The registry will get a portion of the proceeds. I am posting proofs of the photos in order to gauge interest on which ones folks would be interested in. Reply to this thread if you are remotely interested in any of these prints and which one (They are in order)

Scot,
    I would be interested in the last one. #10

Thanks.

I am interested in 5 of them. #s 3, 5, 7, 9, & 10.
    Big Boat Bob

Cool

Scot,
    I want them all.................
    Rich P.

I'm intersted in the last one, thanks!
    Digger
    1996 33ZX "FREEDOM II"

matt@unitedyacht.com

Smile

Holly Molly Batman what a fantastic offering, please from me and I am very sure many others thank Michael. They got popular a few years after I got out of the Air Force, I watched those shows live, danced to it in the bars and watched them grow. Bonnie is still an avid fan me too I guess, I will have her look over the photos to see if she would like a few.
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

HM,

I am interested.

Greg Maier
    1995 Donzi 22 Blackhawk

count me in .....

HabbaMasta , I would be interested in # 10
    Thanks Michael
    North East Donzi Club
    NO TOOLS

Where is that Formula 233 now?
    Worth much?
    I think so.

Thumbs up

Im interested in all also could you ask, if he would do the same
    for pics of 007 like on page 44-45 in his book? pleaseeeee!!!
    WA-LO

1 5 6 9 10 sounds good to me

Cool. I'd be interested.
    " Sometimes the object of the journey is not the end, but the journey itself "

who are those guys?

ringo looks like he was into it, but john looks like he is praying to the zen gods to get to dry land.

they are all excellent, but 10 is the best.
    sink or swim

#9 and #10 please... very cool. Thanks Michael

Thumbs up

3,5,7,9,10 pls..Way Cool..Nice going....I wanna hold your haaand.
    http://www.donzi.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2807&dateline=1163742  168
    More Tab, More Tab, More...Damn

Thread Information