Page 45 of 46 FirstFirst ... 35 41 42 43 44 45 46 LastLast

Thread: Building Surface Tension

Now that The Mule is out of commission for the Winter, time to get re-focused on the longest running build project known to man. I'm only able to get feedback out of the shop about every three months even though I have a bag of money waiting. Anyway, we did finally get the Yuma Yellow sorted out and laid the chosen color down next to the sample that board member William Wahl (wwahl) was good enough to send me. I'm glad I switched from red. Thanks Bill for the vinyl.

Yellow came out really nice.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1972 16 OB - C16B-63 - "Surface Tension" Resto Project
    1974 16 OB - DMR16106017-B - "The Mule"

Glad to see you're back at it!
    Sean Conroy,
    1964 Formula Jr. (hull #2) project

1972 Greavette Sunflash III
    1981 Kavalk Mistral project

"A man can accomplish anything... as long as he doesn't care who gets the credit."

Looking good so far!

However, you're going to have to drag this build out somewhat longer to take the longest build title from George.
    Why is faster never fast enough.

Greg, I've a question about the pad; because I know nothing about them. By adding the pad, you also end up adding a strake as such, to each side of the pad. That is....as opposed to just cutting and flattening the bottom of the boat to make the pad, which would not create any strakes.
    Is it normal to have a the "strakes" beside a pad on factory pad bottom boats? I'm just wondering....because the strakes are not running entirely parallel with the passing water, does that not scrub speed and negate the effects of a pad; or are the strakes necessary for the pad to work properly?

woobs, thx ...... your note got me to clear out the cob webs on the project.

yeller, at a VERY high level, there are two types of pads commonly used. I'm using a raised pad on my project. The second design type is a delta pad.

Think of a delta pad as flipping a 22 Classic over and taking a belt sander to the round keel. As you bite into the round part, it will become flat. You can do a little sanding for say a 2" wide flat delta pad, or more sanding for a 4" wide delta. In fact, I always thought more folks on this forum would install a delta pad of say 3" on an 18 or 22 Classic. The type of pad I'm using on this project as you say gives you a 90 degree raised edge thus it's called a raised pad. At a certain speed (high 60s) this type of pad will force the hull to "pop" up onto just the raised pad. You have to then balance the boat on just that pad surface as you increase speed but once you master that it is a faster design than a delta pad. One key to a raised pad which largely eliminates what you bring up above is sharp and true edges, another is a properly balanced boat with a known center of gravity.

On Surface Tension I decided to leave the inner lifting strakes at the shorter factory length so we raised the pad another 1/8". On The Mule (pic below) I have the strakes extended to full length.

Overall, I like a Delta Pad design a bit more as it rides better and is more forgiving for the driver at speed. It's not as fast as a Raised Pad but it will do more things well IMO for "all around" performance use.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Guimond View Post
    ... At a certain speed (high 60s) this type of pad will force the hull to "pop" up onto just the raised pad. You have to then balance the boat on just that pad surface as you increase speed but once you master that it is a faster design than a delta pad....
    That is not to say as with any pad, there are also trade offs with handling behaviour (and ride quality too). The boat may become much more sensitive to turning input at speed, react more quickly and be less forgiving if you have already gotten yourself in trouble. Ride will be more harsh. I believe it takes a practiced pilot to drive extreme pad designs at the limit.
    Sean Conroy,

"A man can accomplish anything... as long as he doesn't care who gets the credit."

Quote Originally Posted by yeller View Post
    Looking good so far!

However, you're going to have to drag this build out somewhat longer to take the longest build title from George.
    I think I'll be in the running for this...
    Sean Conroy,

Now that The Mule is out of commission for the Winter time to get re-focused on the longest running build project known to man. I'm only able to get feedback out of the shop about every three months even though I have a bag of money waiting. Anyway, we did finally get the Yuma Yellow sorted out and laid the chosen color down next to the sample that board member William Wahl (wwahl) was good enough to send me. I'm glad I switched from red. Thanks Bill for the vinyl.

Yellow came out really nice.
    Glad I was helpful.
    Bill Wahl

Stainless plate on front of the hull?

Anyway, we did finally get the Yuma Yellow sorted out and laid the chosen color down next to the sample that board member William Wahl (wwahl) was good enough to send me.
    Greg,this is looking great! In picture 4 you have a plate around the front eye. Did you fabricate this or buy it premade? If you bought it where did you find it? Thanks!

'07 22 Classic Shelby GT
    '96 18 Classic - sold
    '69 16 Ski & Sport - sold

Greg, it is the Delta pad I was trying to explain in my post. Thanks for the explanation.

Chip, I asked him the same question a couple years ago. It's the nicest protector I've seen. I believe he found it at a swap meet or someplace like that. I looked for a long time and eventually found a similar product, but didn't buy it at the time, and I never saved the link.
    Seeing it again, makes me want one again. If you end up looking and find one, let me know where.

If you end up looking and find one, let me know where.
    I definitely will. It would cover up an ugly mar on my boat so I'll be looking.

'07 22 Classic Shelby GT
    '96 18 Classic - sold

Cobalt boats had/have that bow protector plate on their boats.

Ken

Greg, where did you get that bow eye shield? That's a decent looking piece. The rumble seat is turning out awesome.
    Thanks man. I found that shield back in 2011. A guy on Orange County Craig's List was selling it along with some other small stuff. I snapped it up knowing that Clint would have to modify the boats nose a bit to have it seat properly.
    Quote Originally Posted by chip w View Post
    Greg, this is looking great! In picture 4 you have a plate around the front eye. Did you fabricate this or buy it premade? If you bought it where did you find it? Thanks!
    It is not a stock piece Chip, I stumbled upon it in 2011. Ken is correct that Cobalt has some unique stuff that they OEM. Pricey but always high quality so check with them.

And I thought my 2 year project took long...........
    C16B67 My "baby"
    2012 World Cat 320EC 4.2L V6 F300 Yamahas

Thank you!

It is not a stock piece Chip, I stumbled upon it in 2011. Ken is correct that Cobalt has some unique stuff that they OEM. Pricey but always high quality so check with them.
    Thanks Greg. I'll check that out.

'07 22 Classic Shelby GT
    '96 18 Classic - sold

Thread Information