Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Donzi 22 Re-Power 377 Scorpion

He said it was a Sunbird going 90MPH not a 22
    machinist ,bore it deeper,ream it bigger, and lap it to a fine finish

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...=2&theater

Not debating what boat does what speed

I was posting that for a debate. I was trying to get a point that the omc is one heck of an outdrive. Hard to get parts for sure, but they hold up to some power.

The main point is put either a BBC or a SBC in with the omc. Save a boat load of cash and then sell it when ever you want and buy the 40th anniversary when your not upside down in an old boat.

Quote Originally Posted by joseph m. hahnl View Post
    He said it was a Sunbird going 90MPH not a 22
    Could be wrong, but I haven't seen a 24 degree by seven Sunbird yet..

Quote Originally Posted by roadtrip se View Post
    And yes,
    the lake is normally full of "80 mph" performance boats that get passed at 65. Seriously.
    Oh so true roflmao, I just had a "triple digits" flashback
    2006 CLASSIC 18 WHIPPLED MX 6.2, BRAVO 1, STAINLESS MARINE EXHAUST, LATHAM STEERING, IMCO 2" SHORTY, LABBED MIRAGE PLUS

TALK IS CHEAP, I'M FROM THE "SHOW ME STATE" SHOW ME

Trying to be gentle here. Not possible, unless that thing is a 450HP small block attached to a 2x4.
    It takes 650-700HP to pass 90 in a 22 Classic Bravo configuration for comparison purposes. And yes,
    the lake is normally full of "80 mph" performance boats that get passed at 65. Seriously.
    Completely true. In my case it took a bit over 700 to reach 90 and 800hp to reach 100mph. For the same goals i think it can vary 50hp up or down depending on rigging and how good hull you have. When it comes to speed i hate 3 things. Rumors ,Bull**** and waterspeedos

Not a 22 but it'll take ya about 575-580 to go 90 in an 18.
    2006 CLASSIC 18 WHIPPLED MX 6.2, BRAVO 1, STAINLESS MARINE EXHAUST, LATHAM STEERING, IMCO 2" SHORTY, LABBED MIRAGE PLUS

TALK IS CHEAP, I'M FROM THE "SHOW ME STATE" SHOW ME

At one point you said you were getting a rebuilt 454, but then dad stepped in with $10k for the merc package. What did you finally decide?
    Why is faster never fast enough.

Could be wrong, but I haven't seen a 24 degree by seven Sunbird yet..
    Exactly, hence the claim of 90 mph with 450 hp.

Quote Originally Posted by osur866 View Post
    Not a 22 but it'll take ya about 575-580 to go 90 in an 18.
    I think it takes about a 100HP for every 10mph. I used the base line of the my old 270HP 350 Mag to calculate the Phoenix 400's HP in the Minx. It's ball park but gives me an idea of where it is. But realistically the HP curve is not as important as the torque curve. Which is why a big block in a 22 will always dominate a small block Now mechanically aspirated engines are more apt to use the HP curve But personally I'm not fond of revving a pushrod motor past 5250RPM

Quote Originally Posted by joseph m. hahnl View Post
    I think it takes about a 100HP for every 10mph. I used the base line of the my old 270HP 350 Mag to calculate the Phoenix 400's HP in the Minx. It's ball park but gives me an idea of where it is. But realistically the HP curve is not as important as the torque curve. Which is why a big block in a 22 will always dominate a small block Now mechanically aspirated engines are more apt to use the HP curve But personally I'm not fond of revving a pushrod motor past 5250RPM
    Torque is king, but the HP to speed result curve is not linear. If it were, I would be running 100+ at will, but I'm not. There are a ton of other factors that impact the performance of these things, other than what is sitting in the engine bay. This is why I always get suspicious of speed claims coming from odd corners. Agree with the displacement discussion, and I really like the Scorp package, as I had one for awhile, in an 18. RPMs? Totally dependent on what kind of components you have inside the block. I spin at way over 5250 with a NA BB 540. Cheers!

HP is the criterion for determining WOT speed, but as noted, it's not linear with speed. When up in the 55-75 range, in a 22C, my guess is 10-15HP per additional MPH.

(Torque is essentially irrelevant for WOT speed, but very relevant in the sense that you need a torque curve that allows you to reach speed. A big enough dip in the torque curve would mean you couldn't reach max HP without a push. Given that boats deal with sloppy surface conditions and varying loads, torque and cubes are your friends. Good to have lots of both.)
    "I don't have time to get into it, but he went through a lot." -Pulp Fiction

I need to make the decision this week. I've wasted half the summer!

I still really want the 40th, and I'll get one when I can get the right price... the New Jersey guy with the one for sale at the Marina and listed in the Classifieds never got back to me and I was tired of trying to track him down.

I am leaning toward the "new" stuff and my father chipping in $10G... but that also means he will take it out whenever he wants because he put money into it... I think that's his reason for offering to pay some money, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by yeller View Post
    At one point you said you were getting a rebuilt 454, but then dad stepped in with $10k for the merc package. What did you finally decide?

Quote Originally Posted by TheSharkGuy View Post
    I need to make the decision this week. I've wasted half the summer!
    Well, you brought it on yourself by asking for opinions. Now the decision making process is even more confusing.
    Why is faster never fast enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    HP is the criterion for determining WOT speed, but as noted, it's not linear with speed. When up in the 55-75 range, in a 22C, my guess is 10-15HP per additional MPH.

(Torque is essentially irrelevant for WOT speed, but very relevant in the sense that you need a torque curve that allows you to reach speed. A big enough dip in the torque curve would mean you couldn't reach max HP without a push. Given that boats deal with sloppy surface conditions and varying loads, torque and cubes are your friends. Good to have lots of both.)
    Torque is relevant to any engine running at or below 5250. Most stock Merc motors run in the torque band not the HP band.

Smile

Lol, I stand by every word.

the HP/torque war is neverending and likely is pretty silly. Prompted for a recommendation, I suggest big cubes along with HP.
    "I don't have time to get into it, but he went through a lot." -Pulp Fiction

Thread Information