Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: More ponies for the family boat

Quick update on this ongoing project. Still haven't made any meaningful progress on the four barrel conversion, but getting closer. I am getting ready to re-baseline my numbers with stock power on both props (19P 3 blade Vengeance and 22P 4 blade B1) as soon as I get the drive back on and the weather cooperates. Going to use a shop tach and better GPS this time.

I did get some maintenance done over the winter:

- All new exhaust / driveshaft / shift bellows. The ones that came off appeared to be the originals from 1998.
    - New lower shift cable. Old one was shot and it was getting tough to shift.
    - New gimbal bearing. Had the dealer throw one in when I bought the boat and they did a poor job. Really banged up the bearing installing it. Found a new mechanic that seems to be great.
    - Aligned bearing & coupler.
    - Pair of new Interstate 1000 CCA marine batteries.
    - New sacrificial anodes.
    - Built a rolling drive stand so I don't give myself a hernia on the drive installation.

Also picked up a Thunderbolt V ignition module from a HP500 to lose the stock rev limiter. It has 20deg of advance built in by 3k, so I'm going to shoot for 10-12 initial and 30-32 all-in. The Vortec heads are apparently picky about too much timing. I know about grounding the purple/yellow wire to get the TB V in base timing mode.

Going to install a remote oil filter mount and a 2qt filter to add some capacity, hopefully lower temps a little, and make oil changes easier. Haven't decided on an oil cooler yet, but I will probably mount a temp gauge to the filter mount to help monitor it and see if it is necessary. Last summer oil pan temps were in the 240-250 range after a hard run, tested via IR temp gun. This is about the max I am comfortable with, but I'm afraid a cooler might not allow the oil to heat up enough to burn off condensation. Water temp never gets above 175 and normally hovers around 165 (with a 160 tstat).

To add some intrigue on the prop testing, I noticed that I have a shallow-v pad about 12" wide on the keel of the boat from the step all the way to the transom. So it is a 21deg, single stepped hull with a pad. Pretty complex for a bowrider... I think some of the ZXs (26/27/28) were running twin steps and a pad. I will hang some pictures on here at some point.

More to follow, just trying to keep all of this updated on one place.
    "Speed's fine, but accuracy is final."
    - Bill Jordan

1998 Donzi 21LXR
    1971 Boston Whaler 13

I think the vortecs can safely advance to 30 but after that u are on your own.
    better to die on your feet, than live on your knees

Holy smokes, can't believe my post finally showed up (from 25 Feb). Guess that means I got approval from a mod!!

No progress was made in the previous two weeks due to weather, so no updates. Going to be nice this weekend so I am going to stock the beer fridge and get hot getting her ready to baseline.

Quote Originally Posted by smokediver View Post
    I think the vortecs can safely advance to 30 but after that u are on your own.
    Thanks, definitely starting with 30 total and see how she does. Not much point in running the timing right on the ragged edge of disaster, especially with occasional marina fuel in the tank.
    - Bill Jordan

1998 Donzi 21LXR
    1971 Boston Whaler 13

Finally had nice weather so the Donzi got to see the light of day for the first time since Nov. Time to hang the drive...

spring cleaning.jpg
    Here she is coming out of the shop.

drive stand.jpg
    And the homemade drive stand. Norm Abrams I'm not, but this made it a heck of a lot easier than last year. My wife probably appreciated it more than me!
    - Bill Jordan

1998 Donzi 21LXR
    1971 Boston Whaler 13

Got the drive buttoned up other than the drive shower. Now it's time for the fun part - hanging shiny new stuff under the hatch...

Here is the engine compartment as purchased - stock 250hp Merc motor is buried in there somewhere under the bimini and between the big starboard dividers.
    12. Mercruiser 350.jpg

And here it is at the end of last summer. Moved the bimini, removed the dividers to give access for maintenance, new risers & manifolds, Corsa diverters, monster stock flame arrestor:
    2013-03-09_11-48-16_184.jpg

Next up, new parts!
    - Bill Jordan

1998 Donzi 21LXR
    1971 Boston Whaler 13

Stuff has been piling up in the shop since Christmas. I think I have everything except the new remote oil filter setup at this point.

Parts.jpg

Edelbrock Performer RPM Vortec intake, 1409 600cfm marine carb, FP gauge, flame arrestor, misc plumbing:
    Intake.jpg

And a comparison of the props (19P Vengeance and 22P B1):

2013-03-09_11-45-50_268.jpg

The B1 was a NIB Merc dealer demo prop I found on ebay. It was painted in the demo smurf blue, so I stripped it over the winter and hit it with the buffer & some flitz. I hope it will work well with this hull in combination with the extra power.

So more to follow, going to start pulling stuff out from under the hatch and cleaning it up in preparation for the new stuff.
    - Bill Jordan

1998 Donzi 21LXR
    1971 Boston Whaler 13

Hi Duck,
    Looking good. Don't we all love new parts - . I hope you can swing the 22P Bravo prop. Bill

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3
    1985 Eliminator 23' Daytona Offshore - Kevlar hull
    1988 23' Donzi CC F-23 with 250HP EFI Mercury OB
    1989 28' Team Warlock Offshore - single 548CID/600HP
    1990 23' Warlock Offshore - single 525HP
    Bill from Denison, TX - Lake Texoma

Quote Originally Posted by Conquistador_del_mar View Post
    Hi Duck,
    Looking good. Don't we all love new parts - . I hope you can swing the 22P Bravo prop. Bill
    Bill,

You and me both brother! Since this was the factory prop with the Z22 and 22ZX with the same hull and small block I am hopeful...

Made good progress today. No drama pulling hardware off the motor like last winter doing the manifolds, which was a nightmare.

Long block looks super clean. No sludge and only a little rust in the water passages. Will check valve lash and do a little cleaning while I'm in here and call it good:

long block.jpg long block 2.jpg
    Last edited by duckhunter; 03-10-2013 at 07:48 PM. Reason: picture difficulties...
    - Bill Jordan

1998 Donzi 21LXR
    1971 Boston Whaler 13

So here's the comparison between stock 2bbl and the new 4bbl setup. It is more dramatic in person...

Stock 470? cfm Merc 2bbl vs. 600cfm Edelbrock:

carbs 1.jpg carbs 2.jpg

And stock low-rise cast iron intake vs. the Performer RPM:

intakes 1.jpg intakes 2.jpg

Dressed - seems like it should flow a little more air & fuel...

dressed intakes 2.jpg dressed intakes.jpg

Need to fab up a bracket or two and break out the Krylon to get everything else up to par with the new bling.
    - Bill Jordan

1998 Donzi 21LXR
    1971 Boston Whaler 13

Ok, just relooked at the long block pictures. With the thing blown apart this far it wouldn't take much to pull the heads... Some beehive springs & roller rockers would be sweet to go with a new roller cam.

The only thing holding me back is that it would be a nightmare to pull the cam with the motor in the boat (see picture way above for perspective). No way to do it without taking the majority of the back seat out. And R&R of the timing cover without dropping the oil pan is a recipe for a nasty bilge - probably a 50/50 shot of pulling it off without a big ass leak.

So I'm sticking with the stock valvetrain for now!
    - Bill Jordan

1998 Donzi 21LXR
    1971 Boston Whaler 13

Final project last night was to fab up a bracket for the remote oil filter mount. Definitely not as fancy as the factory Merc mounts, but not $200 either. Made it out of some stainless that I had kicking around in the scrap bin. And to think, my wife gives me a hard time about keeping "junk." I would rather have it and not need it vs. the alternative!

Still have to clean up some rough edges & either paint or polish it after I drill some holes for the remote filter head. Overall pretty pleased with how it turned out.

remote oil filter bracket.jpg
    - Bill Jordan

1998 Donzi 21LXR
    1971 Boston Whaler 13

Duck,
    It all looks great! Nice fabrication work on the bracket, too. Bill

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3
    1985 Eliminator 23' Daytona Offshore - Kevlar hull
    1988 23' Donzi CC F-23 with 250HP EFI Mercury OB
    1989 28' Team Warlock Offshore - single 548CID/600HP
    1990 23' Warlock Offshore - single 525HP
    Bill from Denison, TX - Lake Texoma

how about 1.6 ratio roller rockers?

How about a little more lift while you're making upgrades.
    Thank you, Patrick
    1994 18' Classic 350Mag Alpha

Previously owned Donzis -
    1996 22' Classic, 502Mag Bravo
    1987 20' Minx, 350Mag Alpha
    1975 18' Classic, 350Chevy Volvo 280

Quote Originally Posted by Pat McPherson View Post
    How about a little more lift while you're making upgrades.
    Thought about that quite a bit. The only way to do it would be to relieve the pushrod holes (would require pulling heads) or adding guideplates & hardened pushrods (again, pulling heads to install screw-in spring pedestals). I don't feel like getting that far into it just for the bigger rocker arms, and blowing the interior apart for a cam swap isn't in the cards this season.

Still contemplating some Comp Cams Magnum 1.5 rollers. Horsepower TV picked up 14hp on a SBC with just the rockers - said the stock stamped rockers were not very precise and varied from 1.4 - 1.5. Pretty sure I would have to relieve the oil control baffles inside the valve covers to clear the magnums though. It is a definite "maybe" at this point...
    - Bill Jordan

1998 Donzi 21LXR
    1971 Boston Whaler 13

can you use self aligning rockers? The 1.6's would be like adding a mild cam and if the self aligning would work that's an easy job.

Thread Information