Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: The new Sutphen 16

The new Sutphen 16

Looks like they think the market for small affordable sport/go fast is still viable

If I make it over to Lk Hopatcong this sunday I will take a look

http://www.sutphenboats.com/

pretty poetic that is where it all started for Sutphen back in the day Lk Hopatcong
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Interesting, but they are showing it with a 40 hp engine? That doesn’t really promote the “high performance” image.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “Oh right, because you walked into strippers discount warehouse and said ‘Help me showcase my intellect.’” - Archer

Bill
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    1985 Donzi Criterion SS
    1967 Donzi 16 Ski Sporter, C16-409, Has a new home!
    38' Carver Aft Cabin
    1968 Sea Ray SRV 180 w/1975 70 hp Evinrude
    10" RIB w/15 hp 1984 Evinrude

yeah probably their entry level model that's why I said sport/go fast . wonder what the numbers are on the 40 ?? as a kid we had an invader 10 footer with a 40 merc not sure it was high performance but it was exciting

will try and get more info if I see it Sunday
    Last edited by mattyboy; 05-10-2013 at 11:50 AM. Reason: spilling
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Matty, nice find. It will be interesting to see what you are able to dig up. Correct me, but didn't Richie Sr start the business in Lake H, or was the business started by the great grandfather and now in it's 3rd generation. A lot of lineage there and nice to see.
    1972 16 OB - C16B-63 - "Surface Tension" Resto Project
    1974 16 OB - DMR16106017-B - "The Mule"

Wow

WOW! $67000.00 for a 21' with a 350 up to $120000.00 for fully loaded 21.
    I don't know how to comment. That the price listed in the Canadian Power Boat magazine.

You guys think that's a good deal?
    I have far too many boats, just ask my Wife.
    If you have something of great quality, and you take care of it, it will last forever.
    Never Economise on Luxuries

That magazine issue is from July of 2012 and you got to love a writer who opens an article with prices! That said, wouldn't a 22 Classic cost the same if you could buy one new? The 525 Sutphen 21 GPS'd at 93.4mph.

----I know its a new boat and all but I think Id rather plop (lets just say) $60 to $90 in an old Cig 20 than one of these. As well, Im not really a big 22 Classic fan (oh please,,,dont hate me) but with that said Id rather have a 22 classic with a 500 or 525!!! At least you would have some hope of a resale value when selling.......Bill S

I like seeing boat companys trying to make boating more affordable and accessible, so I applaud Sutphen for attempting the 16 outboard combo. But 40HP? That would suck to be passed by a tri-toon first time out in your new "performance" boat. Checkmate is doing something similar in an 18 bowrider, but it is powered to start by an Optimax 115. And it retails at $30-ishK with that package. Still within reach of a normal income. That 16 would have to be dirt cheap in comparsion.

As for the 21, no way is it comparable to a 22 Classic. That deadrise may improve a top end number, but the handling costs were obvious in the 496HO version I rode in. I've said it before, but the handling felt like a wet popsicle skipping aross the water, as it just wasn't planted. No way in hell, I would want to get in that hull and run 90+ in any sort of real world conditions. I would do it all day long in a 22 Classic, and have.

Perhaps the 40Hp is to show it will go with minimal HP and cost . I would think the CG rating would be conservative around 70Hp. Personally, I don't particularly find Stuphens that appealing. They are sharp! But something about them, just doesn't float with me.
    machinist ,bore it deeper,ream it bigger, and lap it to a fine finish

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...=2&theater

I'm behind anyone who is building new products in this economy and I think you are correct about keeping the cost down with a 40. Tuff Boats new 16 model has standard power of 90hp. They also build the worlds fastest production 21 at $80k out the door, which does 102mph with a stock 300XS........
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Guimond View Post
    Matty, nice find. It will be interesting to see what you are able to dig up. Correct me, but didn't Richie Sr start the business in Lake H, or was the business started by the great grandfather and now in it's 3rd generation. A lot of lineage there and nice to see.
    not sure who started it just know that is where they started and were big on Lk H and also my lake back in the 70's, i would imagine that this is Rich Jr .

in that pic that Bill was nice enough to post the lines remind me of that little invader. Looks to be an entry level sport boat with the bench seats and OB power.
    so if it doesn't rain tom. I'll be at the races and will try and get more info.
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Quote Originally Posted by roadtrip se View Post

As for the 21, no way is it comparable to a 22 Classic. That deadrise may improve a top end number, but the handling costs were obvious in the 496HO version I rode in. I've said it before, but the handling felt like a wet popsicle skipping aross the water, as it just wasn't planted. No way in hell, I would want to get in that hull and run 90+ in any sort of real world conditions. I would do it all day long in a 22 Classic, and have.
    Got to strongly disagree with you on this one even though I've been a Donzi fan for decades andowned a new 22 Classic back in the eighties. Did not keep it very long as it had rather odd handling issues such as bow steer... I've spent a lot of time in the 21 Sutphens and have a 2010 350MPI powered one here at my house. It handles incredible, much more stable than the 22 Donzi and handles moderate chop with ease, getting on top and running flat. It's also very efficient, running 73 mph with a labbed 27p Mirage Plus.

Regulations

If a boat has a capacity of two passengers it is exempt from Coast Guard flotation requirements and testing therefore they can make and sell them at a much lower price. Craig Cat is an example. Also, you can rent them out like they do with Craig Cats and you do not need a Coast Guard approval.
    I have far too many boats, just ask my Wife.
    If you have something of great quality, and you take care of it, it will last forever.
    Never Economise on Luxuries

I believe that only Tuff, Sutphen, and Checkmate are currently building new "production" 16 foot speedboats.

uhhhh

a 40hp 4 stroke weighs as much, if not more, than a 70hp 2 stroke...
    Charter Member - WAFNC, SBBR, KWOSG
    1955 Perfect Mate
    1986 Hornet III, 502-415 TRS

www.donzi.org

Thread Information