Thread: 1976 Donzi Sweet 16 outboard transom

1976 Donzi Sweet 16 outboard transom

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I just purchased a 1976 sweet 16 donzi with outboard transom. I believe that I made a good purchase, but after getting some quotes on getting it restored, I have a couple questions on if I should get it restored. Can someone please give input on what one of this year and model would be worth restored? The hull is in good shape, solid deck, stringers, and rebuilt transom beefed up to handle a 225 hp. It does have bottom paint. It needs to be sanded and It needs awlgrip all the way around , and new cushions. Motor is a 1986 merc xr2 150 that looks and runs great. Nice single axle trailer. Any input would be greatly appreciated...

Short answer: If you do the work yourself expect to get 50-75% back of what you have in it when you sell. If you have to pay to do the work...only do it if you never will want to sell it or want to get anywhere near what it is worth out of it. Depending on what needs to be done -- and I could argue for something built in 1976 -- "Everything", I wouldn't be surprised at a estimate of $30k to $50k on a boat that is worth, "restored", about $12-15k.

Another DONZI BABY

johnnyrobert, What is your H.I.N. ? Where do you boat ? Any pictures ? "HIGH LIFE"

Thank you for the responses...I will post pics upon delivery and throughout restoration process. I would greatly appreciate feedback and recommendations throughout restoration process as well...I am getting the boat delivered today with the title. I know that the transom was rebuilt and stengthened to hold a bigger motor. Can someone tell me where else i can find the h.i.n. on the boat? I looked on the back of the boat, but it is a new transom. It is a 1976...Thank you...
    Last edited by johnnyrobert; 12-19-2010 at 08:55 AM. Reason: added a few things

Is that the boat on Palm Beach Craigslist?

Johnny .......what is your HIN ? 1976 was a late build
    1972 16 OB - C16B-63 - "Surface Tension" Resto Project
    1974 16 OB - DMR16106017-B - "The Mule"

Quote Originally Posted by mermademarine View Post
    Is that the boat on Palm Beach Craigslist?
    Can you post that?Iam wondering if its my old donzi?

Thread Information