Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 13 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 LastLast

Thread: Ply or Coosa?

Messing with custom designed and fabbed windscreens is a nightmare. You have to make sure that you're absolutely satisfied with your design dimensions when you finally send the plans off to the manufacturer 'cause you're stuck with what comes back forever.
    Oh did I forget to say anything about 'expensive' .. lol

With all that said I think M is right . You'll be pleased with it in the end when you see it all nice and 'see through' and 'framed'.
    I'm sooo glad you improved on and lowered that mountainous peak that the original had.
    We did the same thing on the 25 and it's a huge, huge improvement .
    Just because something's old doesn't mean you throw it away !

Quote Originally Posted by scippy View Post
    Marshall.......it goes from 7-1/2" (corner 90*) to 10" at the center peak so there's a 2-1/2" rise to the center.
    Remember, Mario's template (which is exact to what I mocked up) starts about 2" below the V deck mine is
    placed on top ......reason is he needed that space to fasten the plexi to the deck....I think I should go 2" lower.

Artie.........the original windshied that came stock was like 16" at center - good protection, but waaay too tall!!
    Scippy,
    Now I'm confused! My windshield sits on top of the "Vee" deck riser. To this I mounted teak pieces to which the lexan is screwed.
    I have a new picture of the boat taken this weekend which I'll post.

My boat is a sit down , I am able to look over the top while on plane.
    image.jpg

Mario,
    Sorry to confuse, but I confuse myself sometimes!.....your plexi-windshield looked much lower slung so I assumed it was
    mounted lower.....but now I can see it's flush with the V deck. I used 1/4" luan to mock-up your template and because it's
    solid it gives the impression it's taller.

Morgan,
    I agree, that old monstrosity called a windshield did nothing for a hull so ageless & streamlined....plus the problem I have now
    with sending out the luan template to a windshield manufactuer is the irregularity with the surfaces on the port and stb sides
    neither side has the same measurements. that would be a big money disaster to pay for, but I have a solution!

Greg,
    I decided to go with something I can see through rather than a solid windscreen..........it should be high but not too high
    and it won't be frameless like Mario's.....a conbination of the 2......what would that make it?...I don't know, but i'm going
    to try and make something!
    1983 Cigarette 35' Mistress
    1976 Magnum 27' Sport
    1986 Donzi 18' Classic
    NEVER FORGET 9/11

Side by side, The orignal taller version and the cut down version ......which looks better?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1976 Magnum 27' Sport
    1986 Donzi 18' Classic
    NEVER FORGET 9/11

cut down
    Charter Member - WAFNC, SBBR, KWOSG
    1955 Perfect Mate
    1986 Hornet III, 502-415 TRS

www.donzi.org

Quote Originally Posted by BUIZILLA View Post
    cut down
    +1 on the lower version

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3
    1985 Eliminator 23' Daytona Offshore - Kevlar hull
    1988 23' Donzi CC F-23 with 250HP EFI Mercury OB
    1989 28' Team Warlock Offshore - single 548CID/600HP
    1990 23' Warlock Offshore - single 525HP
    Bill from Denison, TX - Lake Texoma

Side by side, The orignal taller version and the cut down version ......which looks better?
    Pete I was out yesterday on Fox Lake testing a 28ss Cigarette it had a cut down vee windshield that's was not as tall as your cut down version . . If you want one that blocks the wind & water spray a low cut down windshield is useless but looks cool. If you want function go with your taller one especially if you go with stand up seats. Mark

I agree that it is "look" versus "function".

Maybe a set of wind-aways would allow you to keep the screen low. You could also mount a set of channels on the inside and just pull out windshield extensions and slide them in when you want to double the height.
    1972 16 OB - C16B-63 - "Surface Tension" Resto Project
    1974 16 OB - DMR16106017-B - "The Mule"

Or, if the plastics guy you choose is good, have him add a "curl" to the top of the windshield (similar to a Minx windshield). Shouldn't cost much, and would be pretty effective.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Mine is at the height where I can see over the top while seated, yet if I was to add a curl at the top like an older Donzi 22 it would block my vision . . with my dark tinted lexan. Who sells the "windaways" ?

I do get wind in my eyes at speed if sitting . .

Mario L.

Finneys in Lake Havasu has them. I also believe that a few guys on here might be using them.
    1972 16 OB - C16B-63 - "Surface Tension" Resto Project
    1974 16 OB - DMR16106017-B - "The Mule"

Quote Originally Posted by gcarter View Post
    Or, if the plastics guy you choose is good, have him add a "curl" to the top of the windshield (similar to a Minx windshield). Shouldn't cost much, and would be pretty effective.
    I decided to go low slung, but also add a "curl" at the top. hopefully it will help deflect some wind......I'm doing all this myself (mockup & glass work))
    pictures below show a plain low slung windscreen and the same windscreen with a 2" flair at the top. ofcourse, curling the top will take alittle body work.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1976 Magnum 27' Sport
    1986 Donzi 18' Classic
    NEVER FORGET 9/11

Good choice, I think!
    I wish you well on the fabrication.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

I decided to go low slung, but also add a "curl" at the top. hopefully it will help deflect some wind......I'm doing all this myself (mockup & glass work))
    pictures below show a plain low slung windscreen and the same windscreen with a 2" flair at the top. ofcourse, curling the top will take alittle body work.
    Where do you get the 'curls'?

Quote Originally Posted by wwahl View Post
    Where do you get the 'curls'?
    Just how it says, "I'm doing it all myself"
    1976 Magnum 27' Sport
    1986 Donzi 18' Classic
    NEVER FORGET 9/11

Thread Information