Page 32 of 52 FirstFirst ... 22 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 42 ... LastLast

Thread: Donzi 16 Timeline - The Boats Built During 1964

Quote Originally Posted by mattyboy View Post
    Greg what info do you have on two boats at the nyc show??? I think this list is about 4-5 hulls high. the 16 donzi hornet ? motor boating you had one job really????
    .......... another recollection I have is a discussion with Walt at the Dustoff. we were talking to Dave Hartman of Hornet Marine who gave Walt a picture of Walt and Dave's father in a race boat. Dave was having some issues so he worked all night to get it to the docks the next morning . Walt said that brings back memories working all night to get a boat ready for a show. So I wouldn't be at all surprised if the NY or Toronto show boats were popped and finished in early Jan of 65 .
    Quote Originally Posted by woobs View Post
    So ...... which 2 hulls went to the New York boat show opening January 15, 1965? And which one of those continued on to the Toronto boat show a couple weeks later or, was that yet another boat?
    I thought I had some info on the number of Ski Sporter 16's at the NY Show, I just had to find it. 'Ol Matty musa missed this but below is a post on the matter from a prior board member here at .net who is long gone.

Note also (because days matter lol) that any boats being exhibited at the 1965 NY Boat Show had to be on the floor be end of business January 13 as the press were invited in for previews the next morning at 9am. So the simple question is can you pop two 16's from the mold at 9am January 2, have them fully rigged and show ready, and then transport them through a snow storm to be in New York and inside the Coliseum in 11 days?

11 Days ................... from birth in Miami to shiny debut in NYC at the countries largest marine show. I have to think on that a bit

http://cache3.asset-cache.net/xd/484...E20CF1E3038641

Quote Originally Posted by boldts View Post
    One day on my way to dinner, I got a call on my cell from a guy who said he had an original 16' Donzi from the 1965 boat show. He told me there was a red one and a blue one at the show. Don Aronow was at the show and it was the introduction of the 16 to the world. Now maybe by red and blue, he meant the stripes on the boats. Its been years and I don't remember all of the conversation anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by boldts View Post

Anyhooooooo, both the boats at the show went home with him. However, I remember him telling me the red one was destroyed in either a fire or hurricane maybe and I believe the boats were in Louisiana at the time? So just by the process of elimination, there is or was a 1965 blue and white 16 out there in the world somewhere. Hope it hasn't been destroyed also........Good luck gentlemen finding that boat.
    1972 16 OB - C16B-63 - "Surface Tension" Resto Project
    1974 16 OB - DMR16106017-B - "The Mule"

At this time I have no evidence to support three hulls coming to Canada at the same time in 1964. I was told about the first 16 coming up to be used for promotional work (starting with TIBS) and as a "guide" for building the boats once the moulds arrived.

It is possible that more boats came up when the 18 was introduced.

I'll know more when I get to sort through all the Shepherd paperwork.
    Sean Conroy,
    1964 Formula Jr. (hull #2) project

1972 Greavette Sunflash III
    1981 Kavalk Mistral project

"A man can accomplish anything... as long as he doesn't care who gets the credit."

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Guimond View Post
    woobs, do you happen to have the specific dates in January '65 of the Toronto Boat Show? The 55th Annual National Motor Boat Show in NYC where there were two 16's displayed was January 15 through 24 of 1965.
    My notes said January... and I have a picture with the caption of "preview of the international boat show" dated Jan 1 1965. I assumed it was just prior to the show opening like a VIP night. But, obviously I'm mistaken as Rob clearly shows the dates in February. One of the NY show boats could have easily shipped up for the Toronto show. That actually makes sense unless the NY boats were spoken for... and nobody is in a rush to stock a boat in January.
    I think that the photo below is actually tied to the 1965 London Show. It also had "International" in the title and was held in early January. The picture being associated with London makes even more sense when we look at the NYC Show starting on January 13, 1965. The Shepherd records will most likely firm up the details on what Ski Sporter was brought North. Was it one of the two 16's at the NYC Show?, or was it a totally different hull that was sent in rough form from Miami bypassing the NYC Show entirely? Those old dusty notes could prove out a lot of December details for the 1964 Ski Sporter 16 Timeline.

At the January 1965 Toronto International Boat Show there was a Donzi Ski Sporter on display in the Shepherd booth. The "deal" had only just been done and Shepherd production would not be up and running at this time. I can without a doubt say 1 boat brought to Canada was a 1964 build. The other 2 boats came at a later date and one was an 18. This Toronto International Boat Show boat MAY be the boat Rob M refers to.

Attached Images Attached Images

I think that the photo below is actually tied to the 1965 London Show.....
    It was from a Toronto newspaper and clearly named the location as Exhibition Place (a Downtown Toronto fixture that also holds the Canadian National Exhibition).
    Sean Conroy,

"A man can accomplish anything... as long as he doesn't care who gets the credit."

It was from a Toronto newspaper and clearly named the location as Exhibition Place (a Downtown Toronto fixture that also holds the Canadian National Exhibition).
    Ahh, got it and agreed. Peculiar that the photograph is dated January 1, 1965 while the Toronto International Boat Show where the 16 was shown was not until February 5th.

Onward.

Meanwhile back in New York City, Allan Brown and whoever was with him had to not only drive North through a foot + snowstorm with boats in tow, but then trudge through the white stuff upon arrival at the New York Coliseum on January 13th for the Boat Show. Below is a photo from 1965 in Columbus Circle on the opening day of the show.

And then I find that 12 years ago Brownie added some info on the Ski Sporter's that were in the booth in NYC. I'll put that one in the confirmed pile while hunting for the 2nd 16.

Quote Originally Posted by ALLAN BROWN View Post
    TheBiloxi lady....Mrs. Joe Brown. The blue "18", a 1965 16'! November,1964 Jacksonville, Fl. boat show display, a white 16' w/blue stripe.
    Quote Originally Posted by ALLAN BROWN View Post
    January 1965, New York Boat Show NY Coliseum display, 16' white w/blue stripe and a green Hornet turbo Daytona 327 w/silver stripe. February 1965 Miami Boat Showdisplay, at Dinner Key, a white 16' with red stripe, and a (same) green Hornet.We didn't have the 18' yet. At the '65 show, I was polishing the deck of theHornet when a grey haired guy with a frowsy blonde came by the booth before theshow opened and said "I would like to buy this boat for my wife". Isaid " Yeah, me too, pal". About an hour later, Jack Manson, who wasthe show boss brought them back and said "Brownie, I think you should meetJim Kimberly" I said "Oh, s##t!" He said "I just came backto tell you to stick that boat up your a**!, kid." Oops!

While I watch the debate.........

Below, Billy Wishnik (noted offshore racer) in his internal board interview in 1991 that I got my hands on, tells us that Don Aronow himself was working the 16's at the New York Boat Show in January 1965. This confirms what boldts said in his post above. Maybe it was just Allan Brown and Aronow at the New York show? I would think at least one or two more were there. Wishnik goes on to say that there were (4) 28's and (1) 19 Hornet rigged to race in Miami on Jan 1, 1965. He did not know that there was also a 19 Hornet Outboard down there as well. Bill Wishnik would become CEO of Witco Chemical in NYC before his death.

So I went back to comments about how long it took Donzi to build a Ski Sporter. I wanted to relate the comments of "people in the know", to that of Hull #9 and #10 below.

In May of 1965 delivery of a 16 is at 4 weeks. at this time there are no unsold hulls and many have paid in full and not taken delivery of the boats. We know that production of the 16 can be done in as little as 5 days (start to finish) but that pace is later than 65 but the avg is 2-3 weeks when Teleflex owns Donzi and man power is added.

The #9 hull is completely off the controversy table. Even if Donzi only had one 16 mold and waited until Fred Darwick's boat was invoiced and delivered on December 10th, 1964, they had 3 full weeks to complete another 16. Case closed 100% on David Ray's #9 being a 1964 build. It is a '64.

So on to #10. It could have gone in a second available mold at the same time as David D. Ray's hull. After all David's was a "sold" customer hull and spoken for so they would definitely build another 16. If it went in the mold at the same time it's a 1964. If Donzi waited for David's hull to be popped out after say 5 days after Freds because they had only one 16 mold, that still leaves 2 weeks to rig and finish the boat, so confidently still a 1964. BUT, it they waited any number of days, it could have gone in the mold in 1964 and popped out on January 2, 1965 with a hangover. The factory needs that boat in NYC on Jan 13. With 100% certainty it takes 2 full days to tow a boat from Miami to NYC under clear skis with two drivers and no over night stops. But, you had heavy rain in the Southern states and a blizzard to contend with starting in Virginia so add one day for transport time overall.

You now have Jan 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, to rig a boat that would introduce the Ski Sporter to the masses at the biggest boat show in the world. 9 days to rig a showboat. With a full court press, IMO it could be done.

BUT, they also had to get the Hornet 19' ready for the same show and Walt Walters commented about hustling a boat under pressure for a show appearance before his passing.

Still, with all that, I'm going to say the #10 boat was a 1965 hull. Off with it's head lol

Hull 9. David Ray boat - White with Blue stripe. Initially powered with the same Hot Volvo110/100 package. Sold to David D. Ray directly by Don A with Fred's help. Boat still exists in Merritt Island, Florida today but Matty hasn't gotten any photos
    Confirmed as a 1964 build

Hull 10. New York Boat Show 16 – No photos so what color was it? Show was Jan 13, 1965. Could it have then continued North to the Shepherd boys or was an entirely different (and additional) '64 hull shipped up to Canada? woobs asking TIBS
    Confirmed but was birth 12/31 or 1/2 ? Probably January 2 so it's off the list for now.

Interesting . Looks like even Bill Wishnik was confused as to the origin of the word 'Donzi'
    Just because something's old doesn't mean you throw it away !

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan's Cloud View Post
    Interesting . Looks like even Bill Wishnik was confused as to the origin of the word 'Donzi'
    Yep that's what I thought as well. Here is another excerpt from the lengthy interview that Wishnik gave that day ............

So, as I have trudged down "Research Road" this 2016 Winter on the 1964 Ski Sporter builds, I've now come to where things stand based on the latest info that's been gathered.
    Below is the order in which the hulls were built in 1964 with Hull #1 probably being popped from the mold last week of May or first week of June, 1964. So much Winter left

New things sorted out -

Hull #3 - I found and I'm in contact with Frank Civitano Jr, but still a lot of ground to cover on #3
    Hull #9 - I had to demote Matty (he filed a grievance with the Union) to slackerdom. Below, I've posted a picture of the David D. Ray hull. As a 1964, note that it includes the mythic "deck grab rail"
    Hull #10 - We now have confirmed for the first time (from two sources) that this hull was white with a blue strip when it sat in the booth next to Don Aronow and Brownie in NYC January 13, 1965
    Hull #11 - We found some new information on this one. Ex board member "boldts" indicates it existed, but a lot more research still needed as boltds can't be located

Hull 1. Original B+W Press Release boat – Photo shows the “long” inner strakes & Volvo drive. Mike Aronow writes of taking a test run with his Dad in KOTBR. Date of B+W photo unknown, but must be snapped after May 5, and before October 5, 1964
    100% Confirmed

Hull 2. Teknikens Varld Magazine boat
    - White w/ Red deck stripe only. New "shortened" inner strakes & single thru hull exhaust in photo. No Grab Rail. Shipped to Volvo Sweden for tests which was likely hastened by the 10/1/64 Longshoremans strike
    100% Confirmed

Hull 3. Frank Civitano Sr boat - Solid green w/ Red deck stripe. Frank's Dad was personal friends with Don A from construction. Boat was used for Summer of '64 in Southern NJ. Motor, drive and Deck Grab Rail Unknown. Photo lost in Superstorm Sandy
    50% - Definitely existed but still somewhat suspect as a 1964 build

Hull 4. Jim Wynne driving boat - White w/ Red deck & red chine stripe. Speedo to right of helm. Inner strakes not clear but look to be "short" in photos. Drive ID'd as Volvo Aq200 Euro loaner. No Deck Grab Rail. Photos thought to be taken Sept/Oct '64
    100% Confirmed

Hull 5. Allan Brown driving boat - White w/ Green deck stripe only - Ford Eaton 260 cu inch V8 165hp motor & Eaton flip up drive. No Deck Grab Rail. Again, color photo of both Brown and Wynne running side by side thought to be taken Sept/Oct 1964
    100% Confirmed

Hull 6. Jacksonville Boat Show boat - White w/ Blue deck stripe thru dash & blue chine stripe. Brownie at show on 11/13/64. Shown in Four Page Color Brochure with El Camino, & on Travel-Lift. First Aq200 production drive in USA - No Deck Grab Rail
    100% Confirmed

Hull 7. Bob Cox and Ed Joyce boat - No photo of hull at Lauderdale Marina found so far. Initially they raced a Formula 233 then became the first Donzi dealer in Florida. "Hot" Volvo 110/100 package. Deck Grab Rail unknown. ID provided by F. Darwick
    100% Confirmed

Hull 8. Fred Darwick race boat - Invoice #67 dated 12/10/64 shows $3,095. Photo of hull marked with race #11 shows it as White w/ Green deck stripe & green chine stripe. "Hot" Volvo 110 (made 140hp) & special race Aq100 drive. No Deck Grab Rail
    100% Confirmed

Hull 9. David Ray boat - White w/ Blue deck stripe. Initial power also "Hot" Volvo 110/100 package. Sold to David Ray directly by Don Aronow with Fred's help. Boat still exists in Merritt Island today under a different owner. Race AQ100 drive in storage.
    100% Confirmed

Hull 10. New York Boat Show 16 – Color was white with a blue stripe. Show was Jan 13, 1965. Could it have then continued North to the Shepherd boys or was an entirely different (and additional) '64 hull shipped up to Canada? woobs asking TIBS
    100% Confirmed but was birth 12/31 or 1/2 ? Looks like January 2, 1965

Hull 11. Second New York Boat Show 16 - Did it exist, get sold and sent South? Only Brownie would remember if there were two Ski Sporter’s in the booth next to the $8,000 green 19' Hornet. Bill Wishnik said Don Aronow was in booth w/ Allan Brown
    25% - More work to be done

Hull 12. Canada Shepherd Ltd boat - woobs has made contact with Jim Hahn Jr., whose Dad managed Shepherd Boats at this time. A meeting to review old Donzi partnership papers that still exist for added clues will take place sometime in 2016
    75% - All is now tied to review of the 50 year old papers

While continuing to work some more on the Ski Sporter hulls that were at the New York Boat Show on January 13, 1965 I found this article on the show. Hmmmmmm, jet black.

While continuing to work some more on the Ski Sporter hulls that were at the New York Boat Show on January 13, 1965 I found this article on the show. Hmmmmmm, jet black.
    Does this also mean it was the only 16 at the show?
    Sean Conroy,

[SIZE=1].

[/FONT][/COLOR]Hull 10. New York Boat Show 16 – Color was white with a blue stripe. Show was Jan 13, 1965. Could it have then continued North to the Shepherd boys or was an entirely different (and additional) '64 hull shipped up to Canada? woobs asking TIBS
    100% Confirmed but was birth 12/31 or 1/2 ? Looks like January 2, 1965

Hull 11. Second New York Boat Show 16 - Did it exist, get sold and sent South? Only Brownie would remember if there were two Ski Sporter’s in the booth next to the $8,000 green 19' Hornet. Bill Wishnik said Don Aronow was in booth w/ Allan Brown
    25% - More work to be done

Hull 12. Canada Shepherd Ltd boat - woobs has made contact with Jim Hahn Jr., whose Dad managed Shepherd Boats at this time. A meeting to review old Donzi partnership papers that still exist for added clues will take place sometime in 2016
    75% - All is now tied to review of the 50 year old papers
    Here is a picture of "reportedly" the first Donzi/Shepherd hull in Canada. The story I was told was that there were 2-3 of these made by Donzi, shipped to Canada and re-badged as Shepherds for sales promo purposes, prior to the molds arriving for independent manufacture in Canada. On this one, when you check closely in person, you can see the original Shepherd logo shadow quite clearly, although it has since been re-badged DONZI. According to the story - this one is the first Donzi/Shepherd hull - purchased direct off the boatshow floor. How true all that is, I don't know, but I am sure Woobs can clear alot of that up in the Spring when he digs into the Shepherd records. The layup on this hull is very light - the sun shines through - and it has no deck vents, just the floor vent and a rear vent. From what I recall - the colour of the gel is original (Yellow). Hopefully you guys can decipher the validity of all that...

Thread Information