Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Fino

One more pic of the stern

note the trim tabs... and a pretty nice brochure...

That same afternoon I visited the Northwest Yachts yard and had the chance to meet Stephen Yadvish and have a look at the newest Fino in the world, his 2006.

This boat was beautiful. He stressed that a TON of man-hours had been spent on this project, trying to get these boats just right. Obviously there's a lot more technology in these new Finos- vinylester, imron, hydraulic steering, ultra leather interior, carbon fibre dash, livorsi controls... the list goes on and on.

He also pointed out several of the tweaks he had made between his 2000 and the 2006. These included reworked drives (not Walters) that allowed him to both reduce the drive shaft angle, resulting in approximately 8 mph increase in top speed, as well as having the added benefit of freeing up a lot of space in the forward portion of engine compartment. He wants to do another Fino and has played with the idea of enlarging the passenger area (which he could do, because of course it was the vee drives under the aft bench that restricted the size of the original). The 2006 is running 502s.

There were also some modifications to the hull at the stern, which you can see in the pictures below. Note for example the recessed trim tabs.

He also pointed out that the seatback drop-down trays reappeared in his 2006- he had deleted them in the 2000 as a cost-saving measure (due to the complexity of fabricating them).

There has been some discussion on these boards about the fate of the original Fino molds. Yadvish confirmed that he did obtain them, but that they were in such poor shape that he was unable to use them. In the end, he got hold of an old Fino hull and created the molds for his boats from that. Incidentally that hull was destroyed in that process, so we know for certain there is one less original Fino around.

I think at one time Yadvish got ahold of an Apache & did something with redoing that hull too..

ANyway.. The Fino lines are just awesome.. I wish I could find one & had the time to do another project of my own. J

Yadvish re-created Apache 41...

To start with I'd like to thank You Sean for the update on available Fino's and the wonderful photos.

Since J mentioned Yadvish fantastic Apache 41' re-creation, (41 Legend), 'White Lightning' I got to post a few videos of the boat. This boat is one of my absolute favorite offshore performance boats

Video links;

A. [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYmE3VB8IfY[/media]

B. [media]http://www.vimeo.com/5281383[/media]

C. [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4p1LlboHQ4[/media]

D. [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PF5jv_Hd128&feature=related[/media]

E. [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8DVPoiIH-E&feature=related[/media]
    LARS THE SWEDE

I've seen "white lighting" several times at LOTO and boat runs really well, Steve
    2006 CLASSIC 18 WHIPPLED MX 6.2, BRAVO 1, STAINLESS MARINE EXHAUST, LATHAM STEERING, IMCO 2" SHORTY, LABBED MIRAGE PLUS

TALK IS CHEAP, I'M FROM THE "SHOW ME STATE" SHOW ME

There was a 30' Fino project boat that popped up on eBay at some point a while back, out of New Hampshire - I believe at Fay's Boat Yard in Gilford. I've made numerous attempts at locating it, unsuccessfully. Does anyone know its whereabouts now, or whether it may still be for sale?

Harry

fino trailer weight

Hi all my boss has a fino and we are getting a trailer for it so we can move it north and south with the seasons. In trying to get a trailer estimate I was wondering if any one of you might know the all up weight when trailering one of these beauties thanks for any info

Quote Originally Posted by lars View Post
    To start with I'd like to thank You Sean for the update on available Fino's and the wonderful photos.

Ditto that! This was the single best report on nationwide availability of any model I've ever seen by anyone. Kudos. We should all aspire to this.

Mike
    "I don't have time to get into it, but he went through a lot." -Pulp Fiction

x3 ...very interesting and informative read on a super special boat !

Sorry for the lengthy absence, and thanks for the encouraging words!

So of course the boat I haven't posted (yet) is the one I ultimately bought. But before I get to that, I need to acknowledge Bill Stephenson (olredalert) to whom I owe a HUGE debt of gratitude. I tracked Bill down through this site after seeing his posts about his Fino in order to get some advice about these boats, and he was only too willing to oblige. He has accumulated a lot of information about the Fino's history, and he patiently shared it with me by phone and by email over the past spring and summer.

And, in a great bit of coincidence, it was Bill that ultimately connected me to the seller that I bought my Fino from...

I had come across some photos of a 1970 Fino restoration project on the website of RCS Yacht Refinishers in Michigan. I contacted Ryan Smith at RCS, and not only did he also share a bunch about the project but he also kindly mailed me a DVD with 250+ photos detailing the work he had done, as well as of a second powder blue hull he still has (both are on his website: http://www.mackinacseaplanes.com/rcs...3/projects.htm). Ryan's work is amazing (more on that below) and I spent a lot of time drooling over those pictures.

Bill also knew the boat, as he had seen it and met the owner at an antique boat show the previous year. When Bill bumped into him again this summer, he mentioned he was thinking about selling it. Bill let me know, and I couldn't believe my luck that this boat had come available! He connected the two of us, and a week later I was heading to Detroit.

1970 Fino

The previous owner had this boat for approx 20 years. Four years ago or so, it went into RCS for paint-work, and they discovered rot in the stringers. Things snowballed from there, and the result was the complete restoration project below:

a few more pics...

and a few more, including just prior to the maiden, moored at Lake St. Clair, and on the trailer just after it arrived here in Vancouver, BC...

last one...

Thread Information