Thread: 18 Classic

18 Classic

I've got a new to me 18 Classic 2003 and with a Mirage Plus 23 pitch and trimed out am getting
    62.81 mph gps in smooth water. Is this about right?

Quote Originally Posted by Royalblu View Post
    I've got a new to me 18 Classic 2003 and with a Mirage Plus 23 pitch and trimed out am getting
    62.81 mph gps in smooth water. Is this about right?
    Ummm, maybe. Engine? RPM?

62.81? Did you round that up or down?
    "I don't have time to get into it, but he went through a lot." -Pulp Fiction

To be helpful, you must list RPM. Probably get more speed with a Turbo1. Slightly smaller diameter than the M1.

Right at 5000 maybe 5050 if the tac is right.
    I tried a 22 pitch Brovo 1 4 blade and lost 5 mph.
    I'll see what else Jimmy at Frank and Jimmys has to try. He's got a Enertia 22 he wants me to try but its out on loan. As soon as he finds who's got it I'll try it.

Quote Originally Posted by Royalblu View Post
    Right at 5000 maybe 5050 if the tac is right.
    I tried a 22 pitch Brovo 1 4 blade and lost 5 mph.
    I'll see what else Jimmy at Frank and Jimmys has to try. He's got a Enertia 22 he wants me to try but its out on loan. As soon as he finds who's got it I'll try it.
    Gotcha, thx. Sounds reasonable to me, off the top of my head. Maybe a couple mph under what I'd expect, perhaps depending on the drive. Not surprised the Mirage Plus was fastest for you so far. M and M+ are often the fastest I hear of when folks test.

Alpha or Bravo drive?

Alfa drive, 1.62.
    I dont know how old the Mirage prop is or how many times its been ground on being rebuild. I just had it rebuilt cus the edges were rough and the cup had been ground but not smoothed out.
    Does polishing make a difference?

I have the same boat (2004), same engine, drive, ratio and prop - and I get the same speed - maybe 63, Johnny Saris says he got 64, I wouldn't doubt him.

i like the M+, have also tried a 25" Laser 2, I didn't gps it, but the speedo had it a touch slower mid range, and maybe a little faster near wot.
    1967 Ski Sporter (sold)
    2004 40th Anniversary Edition 18

Ive been running and maintaining large boats since I was 16, large yachts, and havent messed with
    small deep v's much. I've run them to the islands, run them to the keys but never had the need to tweek them.
    I'll try a new un reconditioned 23 m+ from Jimmys loaners and see if that might do any better.

Sounds like you're in the ballpark. Top speed in these boats is very sensitive to conditions. Trim, weight, surface condition, air temp and load are the other biggies that come to mind.

Thread Information