Thread: Holman & Moody 289 Up and Running After Rebuild...

Holman & Moody 289 Up and Running After Rebuild...

Well, Here it is! It's running great now. It was starting right up but it must have been camera shy this time. Think I had a little heatsoak or the choke needs a minor adjustment. We'll see. Anyway, Almost ready for some lake action. Just have a few other tidbits to button up.
    Enjoy!
    Adam

P.S. The camera audio doesn't do it justice. Sounds like it's got a knock but it doesn't. The cam is pretty wild in this thing. I'll have to profile it soon.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TF5hT8lvMbA[/media]
    Boats are cheap if you do all the work yourself.
    Gas.... Not so much...

next time tilt your outdrive down.Why black? What custom thermo housing is that? sounds good to me.
    Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns.

1972 Allmand twin H/M
    1972 Monza Marine H/M
    1970 Donzi 7 Meter twin H/M
    1998 Alweld 300 HP jet

congrats that's a big step. you might want to look at a perko flush valve . it makes running on the hose much easier, it gets cut into the water intake line between the pump and the drive and has a hose connection. hopefully I'll be at same point this weekend. the thermo housing looks like the normal HM housing
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Quote Originally Posted by mattyboy View Post
    congrats that's a big step. you might want to look at a perko flush valve . it makes running on the hose much easier, it gets cut into the water intake line between the pump and the drive and has a hose connection. hopefully I'll be at same point this weekend. the thermo housing looks like the normal HM housing
    +1 on the flush valve. Very easy to operate and you don't starve the motor of any water pressure.

I'm thinking the "knocking" similarity in the sound on the video is just because it's from one side of the boat. The Ford firing order makes it seem like there's a big delay if you just look/listen to one pipe.

Congrats on the rebuild. Glad to see another 289 H&M still out there running strong! Very cool motor.
    1970 18 Classic-original

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by vrod02 View Post
    Why black? What custom thermo housing is that? sounds good to me.
    Why not? Once you go black, you never go back!

It's a HM housing.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by mattyboy View Post
    Perko flush valve on order!! Thanks!

Good luck with yours!

Quote Originally Posted by Donzi Vol View Post
    I'm thinking the "knocking" similarity in the sound on the video is just because it's from one side of the boat. The Ford firing order makes it seem like there's a big delay if you just look/listen to one pipe.
    Congrats on the rebuild. Glad to see another 289 H&M still out there running strong! Very cool motor.
    Thanks! I like it. Yeah, I think the Ford firing order is messing with me.
    Gas.... Not so much...

next time tilt your outdrive down.
    Why? It sucks up more water with it up than down. No reason to put it in gear so, I don't get it....
    Gas.... Not so much...

+2 on the drive up that high, the Ujoints are working at an extreme angle not good. All manufacturers now including Volvo have trim limit switches to avoid damaging the Ujoints, upper housing seal and bearing.
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

Ah! Okay, that makes complete sense. I'm a newb when it comes to stern drives and how they work. Totally forgot the shaft with the U joints is direct drive to the engine. DUH! I keep thinking there should be a clutch back there, LOL.

Question. Can I lube those U joints by simply loosening the bands on the flex boot and access them or do I have to remove the sterndrive?

Also, I found out my prop is a cupped 14 3/8" X 21, Is that pretty good for a 289?

Thanks!
    Adam
    Gas.... Not so much...

sounds good.

you may want to look into flappers before you watertest. you should be close to 300 HP. you wont find many with HM logs pushing any more.

Thanks!
    Yeah, I should get some flappers. I think I'll install the rubberized stainless ones Since I really couldn't fit the clamp on rubber ones anyway.

While I didn't actually profile the cam, I did check it's operation while setting the valve lash. It doesn't seem to have near enough overlap to start sucking up water in the manifolds. Besides, It's been running like that since at least 79.

However, It's always better to be safe than sorry. Anyone got a good source/price for the 3" stainless steel flappers?
    Gas.... Not so much...

Thread Information