Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Donzi 22 Re-Power 377 Scorpion

Shark Guy-

I have a blue 40th Anniversary 18 which I love.
    Everybody loves the boat.
    Even people who don't like Donzis love the boat.
    I had wanted an 18 for years but wanted something special.
    I was fortunate to be able to jump when this one became available.

My point is, don't spend a lot of your hard earned money for something you only kinda/sorta want, IF for a little more you can get something you REALLY want.

I wouldn't worry a bit about an 11 year old engine. Definitely check it out as best you can, but it all comes down to maintenance and condition. Also ANY boat, newer or older, will have some issues or will need something. Budget accordingly.......

But if you really want a 40th.........well, you know the rest......

Quote Originally Posted by jl1962 View Post
    Shark Guy-

I have a blue 40th Anniversary 18 which I love.
    Everybody loves the boat.
    Even people who don't like Donzis love the boat.
    I had wanted an 18 for years but wanted something special.
    I was fortunate to be able to jump when this one became available.

My point is, don't spend a lot of your hard earned money for something you only kinda/sorta want, IF for a little more you can get something you REALLY want.

I wouldn't worry a bit about an 11 year old engine. Definitely check it out as best you can, but it all comes down to maintenance and condition. Also ANY boat, newer or older, will have some issues or will need something. Budget accordingly.......

But if you really want a 40th.........well, you know the rest......
    I'm with jl1962....do what you REALLY want, not what you KINDA want.At least have a good look at the yellow 22.

I had my 2000 22C with a 454/385 big block 'scoped'(plugged into a laptop) a few years ago to determine the number of hours on the motor.

At the time my boat had a total of 277.8 hours. The scope also breaks the total hours down into 1000 RPM increments.

For instance, mine was as follows.

0-1000.......146.5
    1000-2000.. 38.5
    2000-3000.. 55.9
    3000-4000.. 24.6
    4000-5000.. 11.5
    5000+........ 0.4
    Max. RPM....5665(probably airborne) not by me.

0-1000....no way of telling whether the engine was idling or the boat was at anchor with the key on listening to the stereo.

At least now, armed with that information, you make a fairly educated guess as to how hard the boat has been run.

My mechanic down where the boat is has a 454 that he can build for me. Says it should put out around 425HP and he will give us a 1 year warranty. He also has a 502, but he doesn't want to part with it.

How much faster should the 425HP Big Block run compared to the 350HP Small Block?

It's not all about top speed.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSharkGuy View Post
    My mechanic down where the boat is has a 454 that he can build for me. Says it should put out around 425HP and he will give us a 1 year warranty. He also has a 502, but he doesn't want to part with it.

How much faster should the 425HP Big Block run compared to the 350HP Small Block?

My guess is that lightly loaded the boat will be 5mph faster on top with the 425HP/454.
    It will be able to run a larger prop so midrange speed will probably be a larger difference.
    The big block will have a lot more torque so it will accelerate far better and will carry heavier loads better.
    I've owned 3 Donzis- a 1975 18 Classic with a 320HP/350 , 1987 20 Minx with a 270 then 300HP/350, and a 22 Classic with 415/502.
    The 22C with 502 is a far better performer because of the big block; boat accelerates like mad...
    Thank you, Patrick
    1994 18' Classic 350Mag Alpha

Previously owned Donzis -
    1996 22' Classic, 502Mag Bravo
    1987 20' Minx, 350Mag Alpha
    1975 18' Classic, 350Chevy Volvo 280

I'm going to have to go against the grain here and say if you go the new engine route do the Bravo conversion. Don't put any more money in the King Cobra out drive. It's a great drive and can handle a lot of HP but it makes re-sale very hard. The parts are getting hard to come by and everyone wants a Bravo boat which is probably why you got a good deal on this one. I had a supercharged 22 with a King Cobra and it was difficult to sell but that drive was bullet proof.

One reason I got the boat at such a good price is definitely because of the King Cobra drive. EVERYONE wants the Bravo. However, I wasn't buying the boat to re-sell it, and it actually is a good drive, so I didn't care, especially at the price I was getting. Yeah parts are getting scarce... I was surprised I was able to find an unused lower unit for it.

Quote Originally Posted by jvcobra View Post
    I'm going to have to go against the grain here and say if you go the new engine route do the Bravo conversion. Don't put any more money in the King Cobra out drive. It's a great drive and can handle a lot of HP but it makes re-sale very hard. The parts are getting hard to come by and everyone wants a Bravo boat which is probably why you got a good deal on this one. I had a supercharged 22 with a King Cobra and it was difficult to sell but that drive was bullet proof.

When I replaced the SBC in the Minx, I went with a pre built Dart SHP short block. There are a lot of companies out there that sell Compression monsters for short money. Here's a linkhttp://www.tristarengines.com/catalo...oller-cam.html
    machinist ,bore it deeper,ream it bigger, and lap it to a fine finish

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...=2&theater

One concern i see is the 350hp/377 scorp has not been built by Merc for 10 years so is it really new? If so, it has been sitting for a while. No glass work would be needed to bolt on a Bravo setup. Did he include a trans assembly? I assume yes but i did not see it mentioned. TA is $2k new. X drive could be found for $5k.
    Cheers,
    Pismo
    1996 22 Classic
    Red with Stainless Windshield
    Stock Gen VI 502 Magnum MPI-415hp
    Stock Bravo I
    25" Mirage Plus
    74.5mph best @ 5050rpm GPS (Speedo said 80)
    27" Labbed Mirage Plus
    75.5mph best @ 4800rpm GPS (Speedo said 82)

Also, that has a new windshield setup, looks great.
    Cheers,
    Pismo
    1996 22 Classic
    Red with Stainless Windshield
    Stock Gen VI 502 Magnum MPI-415hp
    Stock Bravo I
    25" Mirage Plus
    74.5mph best @ 5050rpm GPS (Speedo said 80)
    27" Labbed Mirage Plus
    75.5mph best @ 4800rpm GPS (Speedo said 82)

At first I wasn't able to find the 350HP Scorpion... I could only find 330HP. However, after talking to Mercruiser, they made/make 350HP for special order... mostly made for, and used in competition tow boats. I think this particular engine I'm buying is a 2014 with a 3 year warranty from Mercruiser.

Yes, the trans assembly is included. Everything is included in the deal including installing and wiring new gauges (we just have to purchase them).

Quote Originally Posted by Pismo View Post
    One concern i see is the 350hp/377 scorp has not been built by Merc for 10 years so is it really new? If so, it has been sitting for a while. No glass work would be needed to bolt on a Bravo setup. Did he include a trans assembly? I assume yes but i did not see it mentioned. TA is $2k new. X drive could be found for $5k.

What do you mean it has a new windshield setup?

My biggest pet peeve about my boat is that it doesn't have the newest windshield style... I like the sleek look of not having the chrome framing... I like the all tinted plexi look and am considering switching mine out if the cost isn't outrageous.

Although, I need second opinions because sometimes I like the current windshield with the chrome...

Quote Originally Posted by Pismo View Post
    Also, that has a new windshield setup, looks great.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSharkGuy View Post
    At first I wasn't able to find the 350HP Scorpion... I could only find 330HP. However, after talking to Mercruiser, they made/make 350HP for special order... mostly made for, and used in competition tow boats. I think this particular engine I'm buying is a 2014 with a 3 year warranty from Mercruiser.

Yes, the trans assembly is included. Everything is included in the deal including installing and wiring new gauges (we just have to purchase them).

that sounds like the 383 reman'd stroker they did make it in a 400 hp version there are issues with that motor and reversion also make sure the motor is setup for an I/O fully not just things like the throttle setup make sure the harness and the ecm is also setup otherwise it is a night mare.

the reman'd black scorp that I have seen was nothing but trouble and MERC had to trouble shoot sent a guy from the factory and eventually replaced it then refunded the owner. I would not buy that motor when reliable and reasonably priced big block power can be at in the 400-500 hp a blue scorp is a different story but they haven't made one in years
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Thank you for the information. I am going to verify this with the Merc dealer and see exactly which engine he is trying to sell me.

Quote Originally Posted by mattyboy View Post
    that sounds like the 383 reman'd stroker they did make it in a 400 hp version there are issues with that motor and reversion also make sure the motor is setup for an I/O fully not just things like the throttle setup make sure the harness and the ecm is also setup otherwise it is a night mare.

the reman'd black scorp that I have seen was nothing but trouble and MERC had to trouble shoot sent a guy from the factory and eventually replaced it then refunded the owner. I would not buy that motor when reliable and reasonably priced big block power can be at in the 400-500 hp a blue scorp is a different story but they haven't made one in years

the 400 HP stroker had Merc spec'd CMI headers which are not made to the same spec's that CMI uses for their own product. they had this issue on one of the blue motors the 500 or 525 too. you can't find the 400 scorp for sale anymore they went to a more standard merc center rise exhaust and went to a more mild cam so 350 hp is the rating. SB 350 hp in a 22 is going to put you in low 60s than a 425 hp BB which will be high 60's
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

The invoice he sent me reads: "6.2L / 377 Scorpion Marine Engine"

I found this one on a mercury website but it says 340HP. The dealer says the one he is selling me tests 350HP at the prop.

http://www.mercurymercruiser.com/mer...Scorpion%20377

Thanks again for the help / info...

Thread Information