Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: The new Sutphen 16

Quote Originally Posted by blacktruck View Post
    I love rehashing old threads! Your post is interesting because I see this all the time with boats, it is an issue with so many builders, it's like they couldn't care less about selling. But, the first thing you hear is, so and so is going out of business - touch market etc. Probably more from poor communication, very common in the boat industry which is so old school. Sutphen and countless others have lost sales because of this, just like your example. The Sutphen 16 is a good little boat, leagues better than anything entry level coming from major manufacturers, not quite Tuff level but great economical boat with a cool design.

Notice how not many boat manufacturers have decent websites? The top fishing brands and ski brands do!
    Yep. Pretty lame and outdated website. Don't they know how important that is? http://www.sutphenboats.com/
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

Try this site instead

Try Sutphen Power Boats instead.

http://www.sutphenpowerboats.com/

'07 22 Classic Shelby GT
    '96 18 Classic - sold
    '69 16 Ski & Sport - sold

Quote Originally Posted by Carl C View Post
    Yep. Pretty lame and outdated website. Don't they know how important that is? http://www.sutphenboats.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by chip w View Post
    Try Sutphen Power Boats instead.

http://www.sutphenpowerboats.com/
    That's weird. Will the real Sutphen please stand up ...
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

Quote Originally Posted by Carl C View Post
    That's weird. Will the real Sutphen please stand up ...
    I thought so too.

'07 22 Classic Shelby GT
    '96 18 Classic - sold

I think that Sutphen powerboats is the Senior Rick and he is/was building offshore stuff in Cape Coral Florida.

The 16 is built by his son in New Jersey(?).

Two different companies.

Ken

That would explain it. Jr. should get his site up and running. It definitely wouldn't hurt his business.

'07 22 Classic Shelby GT
    '96 18 Classic - sold

Yes I was very frustrated by their complete lack of response. In the end I'm very happy with my decision to pass. We went and looked it over 3 times and a few pairs of eyes to try to get a feel for it (since info wasn't forthcoming). That particular blue one during the time I looked at it had cracks on the transom to motor well cap area, missing trim pieces, failed seat stays (they were just adhesive, but the goop was all over it), gel coat marring from the rigging hose (from a few shake down runs only), and what really killed it for me, the area's where I could poke my head down into hidden spots were in my uneducated opinion very poor. The back of the dashboard looked and felt like unfinished, raw plywood. Not marine ply (I'm basing this on the fact that it looked rough and I understand marine ply to be sanded both sides). In any event it wasn't sealed, or at least didnt look/feel sealed on the backside.

It's a fun looking boat, but I got the impression that they didn't build it to last, which is ashamed, because for the size, I believe they are asking a relatively high price point (in Canada Port Sandfield wants 35k for a 90hp version with trailer)

Here she is when I saw her. This was before they de-rigged the motor and put on the graphite motor (the white motor sold as a boat show promo I was told).

IMG_20160305_114353.jpg

Thread Information