Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Love that little boat! Bravo Sutphen!
    1970 18 2+3 Hull #18-355 H/M 351W Volvo 250
    07 Cayman IT IS BACK! - '13 Abarth Cabrio

PRESERVE, DON'T RESTORE

Nice.

I've always liked the little Sutphens.

There has been an orange/black striped 17' O/B in Glenburnie for the last 40 years or so.

Still a cool boat.

I believe they are selling a fair amount of the 16's in Canada. Very nice speeds for the lakes with small power.
    1972 16 OB - C16B-63 - "Surface Tension" Resto Project
    1974 16 OB - DMR16106017-B - "The Mule"

Quote Originally Posted by Just Say N20 View Post
    Interesting, but they are showing it with a 40 hp engine? That doesn’t really promote the “high performance” image.

new numbers on the 16 with a 'rude 90 HO 64 mph
    Attached Images Attached Images
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Needs a 150 with a jack plate ...
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

64mph from 90hp is pretty good. You'd need double that hp to hit 64 in a 16C. Yes.....I know......different hull designs....
    Why is faster never fast enough.

What is max rated HP?

I wouldn't think that boat would be rated for more than a 115 or so.
    64mph with a 90HP is great! Not sure how she'd handle with big power and don't think it would be necessary to have much more than 115...

Back in the day I had a 15' Hydro-stream with 115 Merc. She ran about 60mph and handled well with that power. That boat was rated for 120HP but I have seen quite a number of them with 150s; not every driven one with big power, but...
    Thank you, Patrick
    1994 18' Classic 350Mag Alpha

Previously owned Donzis -
    1996 22' Classic, 502Mag Bravo
    1987 20' Minx, 350Mag Alpha
    1975 18' Classic, 350Chevy Volvo 280

64 with a 90 hp is very impressive for a full interior 16' boat.
    “Oh right, because you walked into strippers discount warehouse and said ‘Help me showcase my intellect.’” - Archer

Bill
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    1985 Donzi Criterion SS
    1967 Donzi 16 Ski Sporter, C16-409, Has a new home!
    38' Carver Aft Cabin
    1968 Sea Ray SRV 180 w/1975 70 hp Evinrude
    10" RIB w/15 hp 1984 Evinrude

Quote Originally Posted by yeller View Post
    64mph from 90hp is pretty good. You'd need double that hp to hit 64 in a 16C. Yes.....I know......different hull designs....
    Double?? I had triple plus a few and I only got to 62 in my 16 this is the trend now entry level boats are back in vogue the bayliner element no frills just a basic all around boat back to an egg beater and red cans ski tube float for 19k or you go for 130k and get a toon with twin 300 rudes that will go 70 and you drive your home around with all of your friends and family
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Quote Originally Posted by yeller View Post
    64mph from 90hp is pretty good.
    Agree, it is good and Richie has sold a bunch of his little 16's.

Now the flip side is put a 10 year old Mercury 225X on the back and see what it would clock with that. The Merc makes about 245hp and weighs the exact same as the ETEC 90.

Tuff makes a 16 that is a direct apples to apples to the Sutphen unlike a 16 Donzi. They like to use a 60hp 4 stroke which will push it to 59mph.

2014 TUFF 16 blue and orange. Special build all Carbon fiber. Power lift, GPS Speedo, foot throttle, all options plus hatch. Boat seats 4. Mercury Racing F60 4 stroke engine. 64 MPH top speed. Very fuel efficient. Ministry approved super safe for kids. Demo rides for serious buyers.

Great boats .. Had one at 16 with twin racing 135 hp outboards ,then at 21 started racing there new 30. It gave me many victories and championships in Offshore racing. There fast and strong ...

Quote Originally Posted by mattyboy View Post
    new numbers on the 16 with a 'rude 90 HO 64 mph
    I believe I looked at that exact boat 3 or 4 times earlier this year when I wanted to buy it here in Southern Ontario (actually my first inquiry which went unanswered was fall 2015). The dealer and owner at the time were unresponsive to inquiries (not to mention the lack of response from Sutphen themselves to questions - there is ZERO information available regarding this boat on their website and they were not forthcoming in supplying any). After viewing it multiple times and thinking it over I had a few questions, I sent them off but heard nothing back, followed up, still nothing. After a few weeks I went and crawled all over the thing trying to decide if we should just gamble on buying it with no info but I walked away. I was not sold on the construction of the boat and quality of finishing. Probably for the best. While I was waiting for answers I found a Classic 22.

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianEhTeam View Post
    I believe I looked at that exact boat 3 or 4 times earlier this year when I wanted to buy it here in Southern Ontario (actually my first inquiry which went unanswered was fall 2015). The dealer and owner at the time were unresponsive to inquiries (not to mention the lack of response from Sutphen themselves to questions - there is ZERO information available regarding this boat on their website and they were not forthcoming in supplying any). After viewing it multiple times and thinking it over I had a few questions, I sent them off but heard nothing back, followed up, still nothing. After a few weeks I went and crawled all over the thing trying to decide if we should just gamble on buying it with no info but I walked away. I was not sold on the construction of the boat and quality of finishing. Probably for the best. While I was waiting for answers I found a Classic 22.
    I love rehashing old threads! Your post is interesting because I see this all the time with boats, it is an issue with so many builders, it's like they couldn't care less about selling. But, the first thing you hear is, so and so is going out of business - touch market etc. Probably more from poor communication, very common in the boat industry which is so old school. Sutphen and countless others have lost sales because of this, just like your example. The Sutphen 16 is a good little boat, leagues better than anything entry level coming from major manufacturers, not quite Tuff level but great economical boat with a cool design.

Notice how not many boat manufacturers have decent websites? The top fishing brands and ski brands do!

Thread Information