Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: VesselView Mobile Installation Prep

VesselView Mobile Installation Prep

My boat is coming out of storage this weekend and I'll hopefully have time to install the VesselView mobile system.

I've compiled all the parts I *think* I need.

Namely:

• VesselView Mobile Module
    • Terminator Resister (told it should have come with my motor)
    • Interface (in my case, I'm planning to use an old phone, a Nexus 5) - pictured
    • Mount, I've purchased a RAM X-Grip with adhesive base, I'm hoping I can nest the mount slightly under the windscreen as the phone will not be waterproofed
    • Power cable, as I intend to run the phone at full brightness
      • Consisting of Cigarette lighter transformer (5v) - I decided to go this route to start as I understand that transformers are continuous power draws and I did not want to add a switch for the phone charger - this may change as I want the installation to be as clean as possible
      • USB to Micro USB for phone charging

I'll populate this with further pictures as the install is completed (mostly plug and play) but the teaser is below - Unfortunately the app at this time is portrait orientation only. I hope they decide to revisit that decision as in my use I feel landscape would be better for viewing and easier to fit.

PART_1496857199062_image000000.jpgPART_1496857587329_image000000.jpg

I can make one suggestion, Carling offers a double, weather tight USB port w/3.15 Amp charging rate.
    I put two of these in my 22C TR, under the dash in the foot box sides.

http://www.carlingtech.com/controls-v-charger
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Quote Originally Posted by gcarter View Post
    I can make one suggestion, Carling offers a double, weather tight USB port w/3.15 Amp charging rate.
    I put two of these in my 22C TR, under the dash in the foot box sides.

http://www.carlingtech.com/controls-v-charger
    My initial search was for a product to replace the cigarette lighter receptacle as I do not want to modify the dash or any fiberglass at all. If I manage to find something suitable in that respect I'll consider it. The product you referenced looks perfectly suited except for the fact that I do not want to do anything that can't be removed.

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianEhTeam View Post
    [*]Consisting of Cigarette lighter transformer (5v) - I decided to go this route to start as I understand that transformers are continuous power draws and I did not want to add a switch for the phone charger - this may change as I want the installation to be as clean as possible
    A bare transformer will only have a power draw if there is a load on it. If the phone is off, there is no load. I said "bare" transformer, because it is possible to buy ones with indication lights that are always on. The light will draw some current although it's usually just an led and the draw would take months to drain a battery.

Edit: Realized there could be some draw even with the phone off, if the phone is in charging mode
    Why is faster never fast enough.

Quote Originally Posted by yeller View Post
    A bare transformer will only have a power draw if there is a load on it. If the phone is off, there is no load. I said "bare" transformer, because it is possible to buy ones with indication lights that are always on. The light will draw some current although it's usually just an led and the draw would take months to drain a battery.

Edit: Realized there could be some draw even with the phone off, if the phone is in charging mode
    That's not consistent with my review of the spec sheets. They all list no load power consumption.

Yes, I can't argue that. The transformer coil is like an inductor and would have some current running through. I don't consider it enough to worry about draining a battery. If you are concerned about the battery drain, don't connect it directly to the battery, run it through ignition/acc power.

I'd encourage the transformer install so you don't have a cable constantly plugged into your cigarette lighter.....or mount a cigarette receptacle under the dash and so you can hide your wiring as much as possible

Yes, I can't argue that. The transformer coil is like an inductor and would have some current running through. I don't consider it enough to worry about draining a battery. If you are concerned about the battery drain, don't connect it directly to the battery, run it through ignition/acc power.

I'd encourage the transformer install so you don't have a cable constantly plugged into your cigarette lighter.....or mount a cigarette receptacle under the dash and so you can hide your wiring as much as possible
    If I can fit it through the same clamshell fitting as my GPS cable then I'll go that route and then hide a second adapter under the dash or epoxied to the underside of the forward deck. Otherwise I will pursue a purpose built USB socket. Right now I have a traditional 12v cigarette style socket with a cigarette - USB adapter.

Just a quick point; DC and transformers do not work for providing power to devices. The primary coil will only transfer power to the secondary on a rate of change in current which is why they are used in AC power applications and DC filter applications.

I think you are referring to a step down voltage divider and they can be wired in directly with no power draw with no load.

Taz
    Da Taz
    "Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary will get you every time."
    Wes

Quote Originally Posted by txtaz View Post
    Just a quick point; DC and transformers do not work for providing power to devices. The primary coil will only transfer power to the secondary on a rate of change in current which is why they are used in AC power applications and DC filter applications.

I think you are referring to a step down voltage divider and they can be wired in directly with no power draw with no load.

Taz
    You're correct I was presumptuous with my initial assessment not putting any real thought into it but of course you are correct that a transformer as I was envisioning would require alternating current. Regardless, the manufacturers provide parasitic and no load current - so regardless of whether they CAN be made with no power draw, the typical marine unit apparently is not made to such a standard. Example: https://www.bluesea.com/products/101...Charger_Socket

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianEhTeam View Post
    My initial search was for a product to replace the cigarette lighter receptacle as I do not want to modify the dash or any fiberglass at all. If I manage to find something suitable in that respect I'll consider it. The product you referenced looks perfectly suited except for the fact that I do not want to do anything that can't be removed.
    FWIW, this product fits the standard Carling switch cutout. I don't know what your lighter hole diameter is, but it may be close in size.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Quote Originally Posted by txtaz View Post

Taz
    Doh! How embarrassing.
    I wasn't paying attention to anything but the word transformer....and I am a licensed electrician with a back ground in computerized control systems.
    Just another reminder of how easy it is to focus in on one thing and ignore the real issue.

Time for me slink away and hide for a while. Thanks a lot Taz.

Doh! How embarrassing.
    I wasn't paying attention to anything but the word transformer....and I am a licensed electrician with a back ground in computerized control systems.
    Just another reminder of how easy it is to focus in on one thing and ignore the real issue.

Time for me slink away and hide for a while. Thanks a lot Taz.
    Hey Glen. No worrries, it happens. You should see all the dumb shi$ I pull these days.

I started personal training this week to build up weight and strength. The trainer came with a bio-metric machine to measure body mass. I told her how tall I was and then got on the machine. It printed out the results and I said "Hey, it figured out how tall I am." no less than two minutes later. All I can do is laugh at myself. LOL

Cheers,
    Taz
    Da Taz
    "Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary will get you every time."
    Wes

Apologies for the lack of update. Had a series of setbacks that I won't dwell on but basically during pre-season boat was supposed to be inspected to make sure it had the termination resistor in place. They said not a problem but they always stock them anyway. So I go to pick it up and look over the checklist, no mention of termination resistor, just a mention of needing smartcraft cable and Junction box to install smartcraft (not needed on vesselview module, but a new product so I guess they don't know). Ask again and the front staff says should be on there but they stock it anyway so if the part isn't there when I install the module come pick one up. Installed the module - no terminator. Go to pick one up.... no stock. ugh. Ah well, I really like my servicing marina so I'll happily wait.

Hopefully this weekend!

*edit* on an unrelated note, anyone have any pics showing how you've marked neutral trim on the trim gauge? I've been using lower and lower trim at cruise as my operating hours go up (rather than bury the tabs) and think I've nailed down a happy medium for ride comfort and efficiency. My trim gauge is almost buried though, about 3/16 - 1/4" off the bottom. I want to mark it at neutral so I can always reference that, but not sure what would look best. A dot of bright nail polish on the trim ring? sticker? trying to make it functional without killing the look.

Rained out absolutely the entire weekend. I did however manage to dry test everything. Terminator installed on module and everything powered up happily and functioned perfectly. VesselView app sprung to life and gave me all engine diagnostics and parameters. Mounted my RAM mount unfortunately not where I wanted to. It wouldnt stick to the top surface of the dash because of the texture, so I had to stick it to the face of the dash to the right of the steering wheel. Will get pictures of the arrangement hopefully next weekend if the weather cooperates.

Looks like we might get a good weather day tomorrow to trial everything. Not much interest in the thread but I'll finish it out for future reference with a pic of the VesselView Mobile setup and some figures.

If it doesn't make me too hated too I'll try to get fuel consumption numbers too for future reference. Will be good for trip planning for me at least!

Thread Information