Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1987 22 Limited Edition please help

1987 22 Limited Edition please help

Can anyone help me here?
    Looking to buy an 87 Donzi 22 LE with a 454 Mercruiser Magnum Alpha drive. It’s said to have only 8 hours and boat is in mint condition. However engine was not stored correctly and completely seized up. Any idea what something like this can be worth and is it cheaper to repair or replace the engine?
    Any idea on a value of the boat in its current condition?
    Finally does the hull number confirm it’s an LE? DMRCD225A787
    589EF2B8-AADD-4042-B3BE-0A39A4F3819B.jpeg1758D9C7-B901-40D9-8F5B-B9F0F1F4AE57.jpeg91D92C41-3649-4439-9265-F17E85099905.jpegB7682EB1-778C-4465-9C5E-0A527A77A2D6.jpeg5E474A4B-7F20-4CF3-A53A-98F9699855B4.jpeg10EB2631-AE18-4B33-B148-41E9834FC5B5.jpegF2EBFD65-943D-4F3C-8FE2-FB2CCDA3866B.jpeg7CEA3974-54A6-4C59-B7E2-E9D65E016546.jpeg2F5DDD91-9F39-42DD-9B7E-F0FF7CED9751.jpeg[

I'm positive that boat was discussed on here before, but can't find the link. It was listed for sale, then listed as sold, then listed again. Can't recall if it was determined legit or a scam.
    Maybe someone else can comment.

Found it. Check the other donzi site in the for sale section.
    Why is faster never fast enough.

Anyone could have painted "Limited Edition" on the hullsides and had it embroidered onto the upholstery . I wouldn't put too much faith in that . Besides , it doesn't look like anything that Donzi did on the LEs anyway.
    Otherwise it looks like it's in nice shape.
    Just because something's old doesn't mean you throw it away !

Quote Originally Posted by yeller View Post
    I'm positive that boat was discussed on here before, but can't find the link. It was listed for sale, then listed as sold, then listed again. Can't recall if it was determined legit or a scam.
    Maybe someone else can comment.

Found it. Check the other donzi site in the for sale section.
    Can you share the link please? For some reason I can’t fond it and I’ve been searching for a few days... lol.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan's Cloud View Post
    Anyone could have painted "Limited Edition" on the hullsides and had it embroidered onto the upholstery . I wouldn't put too much faith in that . Besides , it doesn't look like anything that Donzi did on the LEs anyway.
    Otherwise it looks like it's in nice shape.
    True. That’s why I was wondering if the hull number can be decoded to see if it’s actual or not. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by travist09 View Post
    True. That’s why I was wondering if the hull number can be decoded to see if it’s actual or not. Thanks
    Matty has access to tons of original build numbers and knows how to decode most of the ones he doesn't have . I'm sure he'll chip in if he can be of assistance .

An excellent '87 in really good original condition w/low hours engine and Alpha drive
    would probably be worth $8-12K. W/o an engine and all the other things that happen
    to these boats when NOT cared for.....maybe $5K.
    Making one of these things good again if not cared for is not for the faint of heart.
    If you start a restoration, you'll quickly have much more than it's worth invested in it.
    My suggestion is buy the best boat you can afford.

Try to buy a '94 + year boat.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Quote Originally Posted by gcarter View Post
    ...My suggestion is buy the best boat you can afford...
    But, what fun would that be?
    Sean Conroy,
    1964 Formula Jr. (hull #2) project

1972 Greavette Sunflash III
    1981 Kavalk Mistral project

"A man can accomplish anything... as long as he doesn't care who gets the credit."

Cool

What about throwing in a new engine? The rest of the boat seems legit!
    Hoping for more comments from everyone!

I think that George's numbers above are pretty fair . But I must admit that that engine looks almost new .
    Even if it's seized it's still probably hard for the seller to look at it the same way as a boat with no power .

Bear in mind that it's not a Bravo boat . What would a nice new BB Bravo package cost before installation ? $20,000 + ?

I almost bought this boat last fall for $22k with the condition that the motor ran. The out drive appears to have been replaced as well as the number stamped on the O/D does not match that on the slip from Donzi. The boat is legit. The owners selling it last fall were the original owners. They bought it when they lived in the Keys. Lightly used it and moved to Daytona where it sat in a climate controlled warehouse since around 1991. They were moving to NC and cleaning out the warehouse.

The guy that is selling it now had it listed for sale before he bought it. He bought it only to flip.

Here's the link to the thread on the other site.
    http://www.donzi.org/forum/showthrea...D-EDITION-quot

'07 22 Classic Shelby GT
    '96 18 Classic - sold
    '69 16 Ski & Sport - sold

the fact that the engine is SEIZED is new news to me..

that was never mentioned anywhere in the last 6 months it's been out there for sale
    Charter Member - WAFNC, SBBR, KWOSG
    1955 Perfect Mate
    1986 Hornet III, 502-415 TRS

www.donzi.org

Feels like if it were in excellent condition with a working motor and a bravo drive, it’d be worth 20 to MAYBE 30k. Probably about $22 -25 with that painted trailer instead of galvanized. With a seized motor and an alpha? 10 or 12 k if the hull and interior are excellent. Seized motor, sans better info about what it’d take to bring it back, is worth almost nothing in my view. If it can be brought back for a couple k, the seller should get it there. Uncertainty means $$.
    "I don't have time to get into it, but he went through a lot." -Pulp Fiction

To me, the question would be, could whatever have caused the engine to seize
    have affected the hull also?
    I don't have a lot of confidence in Donzi's from that period. Even if the hull is sound,
    you're still dealing w/31 year old wiring. The wiring and switchgear in my '88
    (built in Sept. 87) TR was worthless and could have been considered dangerous.
    Things like this are why I don't put a higher value on boats of that age..
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Quote Originally Posted by BUIZILLA View Post
    the fact that the engine is SEIZED is new news to me..

that was never mentioned anywhere in the last 6 months it's been out there for sale
    When I talked to Ann last fall she never mentioned it being seized. Actually she implied the opposite telling me that the gas had been drained when it was put away and the motor was prepped for storage. It sounds like something happened between then and now.

'07 22 Classic Shelby GT
    '96 18 Classic - sold
    '69 16 Ski & Sport - sold

Thread Information