Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Amazing

I’m not really a wood boat guy...........but if I had the cash my next boat would be a Van Dam.
    Love their boats.
    Why is faster never fast enough.

Like the little Canadian J-Craft ski boats.

Quote Originally Posted by woobs View Post
    It's also odd (to me) to see the name J-Craft Boats without thinking of the fiberglass J-Craft ski boats that started production in Canada in the 1960's (still built today).
    These are near flat bottom 17' & 19' boats that came with mostly outboard power but, I/O and jet drives were also common. In Muskoka, Ontario (the nirvana of waterskiing in Canada) back in the 1970's these were THE ski boat to have. J-Craft even made a special Wood deck promotional boat!

The Swedish J-Craft look to be beautiful boats but, so not what I expect when I hear the name... Lol.
    Really like those little J-Craft ski boats. No wonder they were The choice of the ones in the knowing back in the day. As far as the 2006 DuPont Registry February article about the Alexander Stella Nova V-31, it mentions that the V-31 will be ready for June 2006 delivery, but as we now know, (the prototype, the only 31 made), did not get done for delivery 'till 3 years later, in 2009. The 25'-s in the photos are being built, but supposedly only one got finished and is the one for sale now. Agree that StanCraft IS a nice boat, but I claim that 10 years ago it was more than nice. As far as the Van Dam boats, I usually like the sportier ones along the line of the Michael Peters' designed Z performance models the best, but most Van Dam boats bring a lot of unique new design elements to the custom market. Riva Boats under Carlos Riva was a treat, but though I like some of their newer models, they are only a fraction of what they used to be 40 years ago. The Boesch boats have had the highest quality of all wooden boats for more than 30 years now and they were always among the top 3 in most boaters opinion. Back to the rare Xylem Boats by American, Offshore World Chamion, the late Steve Baum. This article describes his technology in boatbuilding and how he applied it to designing and making the most incredible baseball bats produced: https://www.baumbat.com/aboutus.asp
    Here's the 23' short version of his 32' original Xylen Classique design. It was built for Larry Ellison of Oracle fame and was a tender on his yacht he had back in the 1990's. It cost $560,000 plus back in 1988! Twin Steyr diesels.
    Kindest regards, Lars.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    LARS THE SWEDE

Quote Originally Posted by yeller View Post
    I’m not really a wood boat guy...........but if I had the cash my next boat would be a Van Dam.
    Love their boats.
    Van Dam boats are usually one-offs.... unique. If money were no object I'd have them build me a copy of a proven 24'-ish offshore hull, then pack it with a luxury interior and a V10.
    One of my favourite Van Dam builds is "Pretty Pattie" which was an original John Hacker design massaged by Van Dam.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Sean Conroy,
    1964 Formula Jr. (hull #2) project

1972 Greavette Sunflash III
    1981 Kavalk Mistral project

"A man can accomplish anything... as long as he doesn't care who gets the credit."

Anyone heard of Mayea Boat and Aircraft in Fairhaven, MI? I was at their facility several years ago. Not sure if they’re still in business, and I certainly am not a great judge of wood building techniques, but there was some gorgeous boats at the factory, any the have done some notable restorations.
    Last edited by FarPoint; 02-15-2018 at 09:35 AM. Reason: Spelling
    We the Willing, led by the Unknowing, and paid by the Uncaring
    Have been doing so much, with so little, for so long
    We are now qualified to do Anything, with Nothing at all
    (Tuk U - McKinnley Bay '82)

Quote Originally Posted by lars View Post
    ...The Boesch boats have had the highest quality of all wooden boats for more than 30 years now and they were always among the top 3 in most boaters opinion. Back to the rare Xylem Boats by American, Offshore World Chamion, the late Steve Baum. ...
    The term "Highest Quality" is a difficult moniker to assign to any manufacturer as there are so many small builders that are not known on a worldwide scale. Peter Breen Boats is such a builder that has a reputation as the "best of the best" in the restoration of classic woodies (He charges likewise) and also builds small numbers of their own designs to exacting standards and top quality. Their restorations, reproductions and new builds have won a tonne of awards all over North America although he is not a "world" player, or a large production company like Riva or Hacker. Unfortunately, most of their builds are that antique style (that's where the market $$$ around here are) But, if you want to pay, I'm sure they'd build anything you want and you would get a top quality boat. http://www.breenboats.com/index.html

When you get to spending this kind of $cratch on any boat, the attention to detail had better be there. Van Dam is great at showing their attention to detail but, by no means do they have a monopoly on it. I had never heard of Boesch Boats before and I'll take your word they are top quality (it looks like it). At the end of the day we all have reasons why we prefer one manufacturer or product over another (some people even like Baja) and it is true of many, many products. To me, that's part of the spice of life. In my estimation, to start there are just two main categories... quality products (I would buy) and not so quality products ( I would not buy). The shades of qualitative assessment in each category are irrelevant. It's a pretty big filter that narrows down evaluations which depend on a myriad of other features for a final decision.... and I don't judge others by their decisions. Personally, I'd never own a Dodge car or truck but, that's just me! Lol
    Sean Conroy,

"A man can accomplish anything... as long as he doesn't care who gets the credit."

Quote Originally Posted by FarPoint View Post
    Anyone heard of Mayea Boat and Aircraft in Fairhaven, MI? I was at their facility several years ago. Not sure if they’re still in business, and I certainly am not a great judge of wood building techniques, but there was some gorgeous boats at the factory, any the have done some notable restorations.
    Looks to still be in business... http://www.mayeaboats.com/mayscraft.htm
    Some nice looking boats there!
    Sean Conroy,

Hey Lars Larry Ellisons boat,"tender"has been for sale off and on for the past year in the San Francisco area.

Could not have said it better Sean.

Got to agree with You 100%. Btw, this Peter Breen seem to be as talented with wood as they come. Many nice boats he's been involved with.

And yes, Ellison's boat, T/T Izanami, just sold a few weeks ago, finally. With twin diesels it was way to heavy and short for me, but the quality of

the build must have been insane.

Mvh Lasse
    LARS THE SWEDE

Quote Originally Posted by woobs View Post
    Looks to still be in business... http://www.mayeaboats.com/mayscraft.htm
    Some nice looking boats there!
    Yes. The Mayea brothers are still in business. They rebuilt my brothers Chris Craft Cutlass last year and did a great job. Really nice guys.

Thread Information