Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Tuck and roll upholstery is expensive!

Carl so about your seats but there is a guy closer to you on the Canadian side he's done my seats along time ago and they still look mint. He also rig my boat and did paint great work and cheap with your dallar.look up Ron banks marine. I can you send picks of mine by phone just pm me

Why didn't you go to PPI?

Didn't they do the originals?

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Carl C View Post
    How do I handle this? Take them back with the pictures?
    Yes.

I'd try and get your money back, but they may not do that. If that's the case, insist they redo them. They may have someone else in the shop that has the experience to do them right.
    Why is faster never fast enough.

There's a local upholsterer near my business who does excellent hot rod
    upholstery work, but he only works when he wants to. He helped me w/my
    old original seats and explained the curves are generated using a special
    foam that is sensitive to heat. He would start by generating the curve using
    a heat gun and working off the new shape. IOW, w/o the special foam, you'll
    get sub par seat backs.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Thanks for the replies. I don't need another big headache right now and will wait to decide what to do. One friend told me to leave it and that I'm the only one who will notice. I think the only resolution that would work would be a full refund and then order them from DonziDirect for $1,500 ($400 more). Maybe I will just leave it.
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

Don't automatically assume it's going to be a big headache. You don't have to go into the place screaming and yelling.
    Just go back with the cushions and pictures and tell them your not happy with how they fit.

After they've looked at them and responded, then you can decide if it's going to be a headache or not.
    Why is faster never fast enough.

Carl

don't wait to long that might not work to your favor , did they have access to the original seats as a template. I would look at the foam on the old ones and see if there is any thing special about it. My seat backs are much thicker than a 22 and for the corners two pieces were glued together then trimmed down. hope it works out for you
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Quote Originally Posted by yeller View Post
    Don't automatically assume it's going to be a big headache. You don't have to go into the place screaming and yelling.
    Just go back with the cushions and pictures and tell them your not happy with how they fit.

After they've looked at them and responded, then you can decide if it's going to be a headache or not.
    Totally agree! Also, I would not wait not fair to you or the shop (they have to plan the shop work flow.)
    Sean Conroy,
    1964 Formula Jr. (hull #2) project

1972 Greavette Sunflash III
    1981 Kavalk Mistral project

"A man can accomplish anything... as long as he doesn't care who gets the credit."

Carl,

Bring him those pictures vs what they are supposed to look like. They should be taut and smooth where the cushion is flat, and they should not cram in the corners. The corner foam needs to be glued and sculpted to fit properly. Not acceptable craftsmanship and you shouldn’t have to pay. They will always bother you if you leave them as is. Try Cummins Canvas in Orillia Ontario.

Rob

Carl,

I live about 10 miles from Cummins Canvas...AND... I have a 2000 22C with 454-385HP with a Volvo DPX. My seats are in good shape(certainly good enough for templates).

The only problem is that I'm in Florida until the end of March/early April. I could drop mine off at Cummins so he could pattern yours from mine.

Rob...where are you located??

Quote Originally Posted by mc donzi View Post
    Carl,

Rob...where are you located??

MC: In the GTA. But boat in Muskoka.

Used Cummins for a restoration interior. Was happy with the results - not cheap, but worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by mc donzi View Post
    My seats are in good shape(certainly good enough for templates
    That’s a nice offer but FYI: to be used for a template they have to take your seats completely apart. I.E. remove all the stitching.

Oops...not sure I want that done.

Besides no response from Carl so I guess he will work something out with the original guy.

maybe some helpful info I was at the nj boat expo yesterday had a chance to talk to the guys from Irwin Marine the new donzi dealer in NJ they had a new all white with red stripes 22 classic it was very nice fit and finish . we talked for quite a bit and wound up talking about the interiors they said the new interiors are done by a guy on the west coast . maybe a call to the factory may help

BTW the new boarding ladders they are putting in ARE ****ING BRILLIANT
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Thanks again for all of the replies and offers. The shop recovered my original seats and reused to back parts which I told them was fine. Starboard side is not perfect but is acceptable. Port side looks terrible. I think that I should have made it clear that the seats must have a 90* bend in them and I should have provided pictures. I'm still not sure how I will handle this.
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

Thread Information