I have had my 17' Champ for about 8 years now and am thinking it is time to increase my horsepower some. This is due to needing to service my intermediate bearings which will be having me pull the motor.
I am currently running the 1:9 six cylinder gears in my volvo 280 outdrive, turning a 15x23 solas titan prop. I tried last year to change to a 270 outdrive with 1:61's and got everything hooked up only to find that the pivots were seized on the newer outdrive so I switched it back just so I could run it another season.
This year may be different. Mattyboy mentioned at one time by switching gears that I would not be able to turn the prop I am currently running without adding some more power to the motor.
Here is my question and without spending big money and I want to change the cam and add a newer set of heads to my 351 to wake it up. I am thinking of getting a set of gt40p heads or possibly some Winsdor jr.'s if it is in my budget. What cams and specs may be be a good choice for this motor and would you go roller.
Any thoughts?