Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Thread: Need 22C Boarding Ladder Ideas

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    7,805
    Rep Power
    21

    Need 22C Boarding Ladder Ideas

    On Chad's build thread he installed two small swim platforms as pictured below. I think one of these with a built in ladder will work well on my 22. I know this has been discussed over and over but I'd like to see up to date pictures of what others have done. Thanks. Tired of climbing the drive.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    511
    Rep Power
    0
    I use my tabs to get back in. Or, a collapsible ladder that slips into a fixture on the transom is more useable and a clean install. You might want to ask Dave Hartmann as when I got a shop tour he was using these.

    John C
    '92 Sweet 16 302 Ford-Reborn in 2017
    Windshields are for Sissies !!!

    If you're lucky enough to live on the St. Lawrence River, you're lucky enough!!!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    5,518
    Rep Power
    0
    ....................
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1972 16 OB - C16B-63 - "Surface Tension" Resto Project
    1974 16 OB - DMR16106017-B - "The Mule"

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    2,904
    Rep Power
    17
    Hey Carl, what happened to the ladder you modified to work over the side of your boat? I thought that worked well for you.

    My choice is the first one that Greg posted, but collapsible. I was always concerned that the bracket would stick out like a sore thumb on the transom when not in use, but I saw one on a 22C and it looked fine.
    If you get the 4 step one, it will hang well below the bottom of the boat to make boarding much easier than the drive.
    Why is faster never fast enough.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,191
    Rep Power
    15
    Side note: Iím amazed that so many ladders donít have a simple fold-out lower brace. They look like they generate needlessly heavy torque loads at the mounting bracket.
    "I don't have time to get into it, but he went through a lot." -Pulp Fiction

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    7,805
    Rep Power
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by yeller View Post
    Hey Carl, what happened to the ladder you modified to work over the side of your boat? I thought that worked well for you.

    My choice is the first one that Greg posted, but collapsible. I was always concerned that the bracket would stick out like a sore thumb on the transom when not in use, but I saw one on a 22C and it looked fine.
    If you get the 4 step one, it will hang well below the bottom of the boat to make boarding much easier than the drive.
    That ladder worked but not really that well, especially with heavy people. I gave up on it. Heavy people can't even swim off my boat because they can't get back in! The retractable ladder looks nice but requires a big hole in the transom.
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    2,050
    Rep Power
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl C View Post
    Heavy people can't even swim off my boat because they can't get back in!

    Back in the day when we were kids we experienced the same problem when pops used to take people out in the boat.

    It's amazing the agility people can muster up when everyone in the boat starts yelling 'Shark ! '
    Just because something's old doesn't mean you throw it away !

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    2,904
    Rep Power
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl C View Post
    The retractable ladder looks nice but requires a big hole in the transom.
    The one like in Greg's first pic? Now you got me confused. How are you going to attach any ladder or swim grid without holes?
    Why is faster never fast enough.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    45
    Rep Power
    0
    Carl,
    The ladder in my earlier post on my thread was an aqua performance 1063. I am a west coast guy and all the Eliminator boats use these ladders. I have one that fits the pre threaded pattern on the 24Ē Eddie Marine billet swim platforms. I wonít be using it because on the 18 it wonít clear my k planes when you fold it down. Here is a photo of my mock up and one of the ladder.

    When I am done I will probably get a slide out undermount Garelick type that doesnít interfere with the kplanes but mounts under the swim platform.

    http://www.garelick.com/Under-Platform-Sliding-Ladder

    One of the best parts of a swim platform is being able to get in the water safely as well as getting out and shake off before boarding.

    My calculations put the platforms at 1.5Ē above the water and paralell to the water when the boat is at rest. The classic look is still largely preserved with the exhausts still on prominent display.

    Chad
    Attached Images Attached Images

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    7,805
    Rep Power
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by Morgan's Cloud View Post
    Back in the day when we were kids we experienced the same problem when pops used to take people out in the boat.

    It's amazing the agility people can muster up when everyone in the boat starts yelling 'Shark ! '
    Unfortunately we don't have sharks in the Great Lakes and yelling "BASS!" doesn't have the same effect.

    Quote Originally Posted by yeller View Post
    The one like in Greg's first pic? Now you got me confused. How are you going to attach any ladder or swim grid without holes?
    I was talking about the second one that retracts into a slot. Not crazy about the other type. I really think I need a small platform with ladder.

    Quote Originally Posted by Turbochad View Post
    Carl,
    The ladder in my earlier post on my thread was an aqua performance 1063. I am a west coast guy and all the Eliminator boats use these ladders. I have one that fits the pre threaded pattern on the 24Ē Eddie Marine billet swim platforms. I wonít be using it because on the 18 it wonít clear my k planes when you fold it down. Here is a photo of my mock up and one of the ladder.
    When I am done I will probably get a slide out undermount Garelick type that doesnít interfere with the kplanes but mounts under the swim platform.
    http://www.garelick.com/Under-Platform-Sliding-Ladder
    One of the best parts of a swim platform is being able to get in the water safely as well as getting out and shake off before boarding.
    My calculations put the platforms at 1.5Ē above the water and paralell to the water when the boat is at rest. The classic look is still largely preserved with the exhausts still on prominent display.
    Chad
    I agree and I like that platform/ladder. I will look into it.
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    23
    Rep Power
    0
    Iíve been looking for a good solution too. Factory is starting to use this.

    https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/h...461971708.html

    http://www.garelick.com/Eez-In-Integrated-Transom-Ladder


    They are about $250.

    I will probably cut one into my 96 this year.

    Although, the lifting eye may be in enough of a different spot to screw me up on mine

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    5,518
    Rep Power
    0
    ....................
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1972 16 OB - C16B-63 - "Surface Tension" Resto Project
    1974 16 OB - DMR16106017-B - "The Mule"

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    45
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by dhcomp View Post
    Iíve been looking for a good solution too. Factory is starting to use this.

    https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/h...461971708.html

    http://www.garelick.com/Eez-In-Integ...Transom-Ladder


    They are about $250.

    I will probably cut one into my 96 this year.

    Although, the lifting eye may be in enough of a different spot to screw me up on mine

    I bought one of these too but it was delivered damaged so I returned it. I had a chance to consider the installation and for my purposes it wasnít going to work. My concern with this was the amount of space it took inside the boat. It seems like a good solution if you donít need anything in the engine compartment in that area. It slopes down toward the bottom of the boat when installed. It was closer to $600 if I recall correctly.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    5,518
    Rep Power
    0
    Carl,

    Go to Windline's site and poke around. They make a bunch of stuff. If it were me, I would think through mounting a slide out unit on the SIDE of the platform so that it is a bit more hidden. The boat might also drop down a bit with a side mount which makes the ladder lower in the water.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1972 16 OB - C16B-63 - "Surface Tension" Resto Project
    1974 16 OB - DMR16106017-B - "The Mule"

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    23
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbochad View Post
    I bought one of these too but it was delivered damaged so I returned it. I had a chance to consider the installation and for my purposes it wasnít going to work. My concern with this was the amount of space it took inside the boat. It seems like a good solution if you donít need anything in the engine compartment in that area. It slopes down toward the bottom of the boat when installed. It was closer to $600 if I recall correctly.
    Thatís helpful.

    Has anyone put a smalll fold down foot hold deal at the water line, just outside of the trim tab?
    https://www.zoro.com/buyers-products-folding-grabstep-ss-3vry7/i/G4833753/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwuSVibOF2QIVr7_tCh3uMAWUEAQYCCA BEgImpPD_BwE

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •