Thread: Omc / merc

Omc / merc

How much less do you guys think a comparable donzi is worth with a OMC drive versus a Mercury.

Chris

tough question what are you looking for out of it? a reliable ride or flat out speed.

is it a ford omc or a chevy omc?

I would imagine its a King Cobra with a BB the King is the stronger of the drives over the plain cobra parts were an issue but the volvo sx is a direct replacement and volvo are more $$ but worth it.

The other factor is who made the boat was it a Donzi made in Fla. or a Donzi by Chris Craft made in Indiana . The Chris Craft boats were very solid boat despite the rumors they were not. a DMR or DNA HIN vs a CCA HIN

In the end it comes down to what you are willing to pay and how you bargain, it is not a simple mathematical equation. In some cases the omc may be a better value. But if you want a big blue motor and a shorty for speed the Merc is the way to go but there was one OMC boat that had a Big Blue motor and a KC drive that ran really well.
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Agree with what Matty said. To make your original question more answerable, probably need to specify which OMC and Merc drives, and maybe even the boat and motor type.
    "I don't have time to get into it, but he went through a lot." -Pulp Fiction

Omc/merc

Boat in question is a Chris Craft made 22 Classic, With the hump top cone clutch drive,

And a Chevy Big Block. Versus Same boat with a bravo drive.

Thanks Chris

what model year with the merc? same hours?
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

I’m guessing the Merc will typically command an extra 1-3k but some might consider a King Cobra to actually be more desirable.
    "I don't have time to get into it, but he went through a lot." -Pulp Fiction

Was thinking at least that considering parts are getting harder to find.

Had the same drive in a 1993 18 classic and loved it.

Resale value is why I was asking.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by DonziChris View Post
    Was thinking at least that considering parts are getting harder to find.

Had the same drive in a 1993 18 classic and loved it.

Resale value is why I was asking.

Chris
    I've been down the OMC King Cobra / GM Big Block road. I got a great deal on my OMC boat and started drinking the OMC Kool-aid. After my third rebuilt OMC failed I bit the bullet and switched to a Mercury XR / Imco Shorty. I'm now very happy I did so. The OMC parts are getting hard to get. The proper tools to service the drives are also hard to get and there are not many people that rebuild them properly. When you're down for a rebuild, you'll be down longer with OMC. I actually ended up with two OMC drives. One always out for a rebuild, and one in the boat. I still broke two in a season and had downtime.

In my opinion, an OMC boat is worth a Merc boat minus the cost of swapping an OMC for a Merc drive. Used vs used, maybe less $4k. There are still plenty of people out there looking for used OMC drives / parts so you can sell them for something. There's just one less buyer now .

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    .... The OMC parts are getting hard to get. The proper tools to service the drives are also hard to get and there are not many people that rebuild them properly. When you're down for a rebuild, you'll be down longer with OMC....

In my opinion, an OMC boat is worth a Merc boat minus the cost of swapping an OMC for a Merc drive. Used vs used, maybe less $4k. There are still plenty of people out there looking for used OMC drives / parts so you can sell them for something. There's just one less buyer now .
    +1
    Sean Conroy,
    1964 Formula Jr. (hull #2) project

1972 Greavette Sunflash III
    1981 Kavalk Mistral project

"A man can accomplish anything... as long as he doesn't care who gets the credit."

Thread Information