Thread: Microsoft tech support scam - how to recover?

Microsoft tech support scam - how to recover?

Hello,

It's amazing that smart people do stupid things, but I had a smart - but not computer savvy - friend who just got taken by the tech support scam. In fairness to my friend, it was a VERY convincing scam. I'd even told her that my idiot bro-in-law had been taken in a while back but apparently this didn't even click in. To review: someone calls you on the phone and tells you they are a microsoft tech and there are problems with Windows that MS is calling people to fix. If you will just grant them remote access, they'll take you through the issues on your computer and then fix everything up just dandy. Then they do a bunch of amazing things that convinces you they are the real deal. Well, you were stupid enough to do it, so now you're left trying to figure out what they've done and how you can undo the harm.
    I'm just wondering if anyone else will admit to having been suckered and what steps they took to deal with the aftermath, and how successful they think they've been. Or maybe you could describe what happened to a "friend" (not you). Something short of wiping the drive and re-installing everything?

Please help

I didn't find the right solution from the internet.

References:
    https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=245988
    Animated video service

Thanks

Can someone kindly get the attention of the current Harbormaster to have this scammer banned and shut down ?
    Just because something's old doesn't mean you throw it away !

Thread Information