Thread: Hatch Rams

Hatch Rams

Has anyone moved the mounting point for their hatch rams ? I notice the new classics being made have a shorter ram that is mounted towards the rear versus towards the front. It would allow the hatch to open more and the rams themselves out of the way. Wondering if someone else has done the measuring !!
    better to die on your feet, than live on your knees

The new boats have knuckle hinges that minimize movement of the hatch as it closes. On the boats with bullet style hinges it seems that there is enough play in the hinge to cause the hatch to rub on the deck when closing if the rams are turned around. My 16 has them that way and the hatch hits. My 18 has them facing back and the hatch doesn’t hit the deck when closing because the rams preload the hatch on the hinges.

You can see what I did in this video about 1/2 way through.

A winner is just a loser that got up and did it one more time.
    1959 Biesemeyer - 4pt Hydro Drag - 2013 ACBS Winner - Best Race Boat
    1967 Nova Marine - SuperNova24 - ACBS Winner - 2012 Best Race Boat - 2016 Peoples Choice & Best Non Wood
    1972 John Allmand - Nova 19
    1972 John Allmand - Nova19 (#2)
    1982 PolarKraft -Jonboat - Crab Killer

Great Vid ! Thanks for the reply. A little more than what I am willing to do. I think I may buy some shorter rams and move the mounting points rear. I don’t want to mess with the hatch mounts but I don’t think moving the lower mounts to the rear will be a big deal.
    better to die on your feet, than live on your knees

Thread Information