Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Can Someone Please tell me it's worth it 96' 22C

The wood-look-decked 22 looks pretty cool in the pics. Not sure any of us here have seen it in person. I think there's a thread about it here somewhere.
    "I don't have time to get into it, but he went through a lot." -Pulp Fiction

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    The wood-look-decked 22 looks pretty cool in the pics. Not sure any of us here have seen it in person. I think there's a thread about it here somewhere.

Ive seen a few paint processes where you can imitate the look of wood, marble and a few other different surfaces. We shall see.

IMG_0299.JPGIMG_9590.JPGI know this is a few months old and you may have already made a decision, but I have a few questions. Do you still have the supercharged Big block and is it in good condition ? Is the boat truly solid ? Have you got down in the engine compartment with a hammer and sounded the transom and stringers ? I wouldn't put much thought into the stringers north of the engine compartment because from our experience it almost always wicks from the transom or the unsealed limber holes cut for drainage. In my opinion if the boat is solid and you have power for it go ahead and fix it. When looking for one of these the biggest issue is always rot. You can take a boat that looks like a garage kept gem only to find rotten transom and stringers. The cracks on the rear deck around the top of the seat are a combination of two issues, due to the shape of the mold the gel coat puddles in that area and becomes to thick which leads to cracking and once again due to the shape during layup they have air voids between the gel and the laminate. A lot of these projects get taken a little to far and that's why guys end up double upside down in them trying to reinvent the wheel. If your going to paint it take it to someone that does good glass work first and have those areas fixed correctly first most body shops will fill cracks but not get to the root of the problem. Have it painted, new interior put the power back in and only fix what needs to be fixed don't get carried away.
    Baja 20 outlaw 2010 383 Mag Stroker **SOLD**
    Warlock 23 world class Stock 7.4 Bravo 1

Quote Originally Posted by FitchPowerboatServices View Post
    IMG_0299.JPGIMG_9590.JPGI know this is a few months old and you may have already made a decision, but I have a few questions. Do you still have the supercharged Big block and is it in good condition ? Is the boat truly solid ? Have you got down in the engine compartment with a hammer and sounded the transom and stringers ? I wouldn't put much thought into the stringers north of the engine compartment because from our experience it almost always wicks from the transom or the unsealed limber holes cut for drainage. In my opinion if the boat is solid and you have power for it go ahead and fix it. When looking for one of these the biggest issue is always rot. You can take a boat that looks like a garage kept gem only to find rotten transom and stringers. The cracks on the rear deck around the top of the seat are a combination of two issues, due to the shape of the mold the gel coat puddles in that area and becomes to thick which leads to cracking and once again due to the shape during layup they have air voids between the gel and the laminate. A lot of these projects get taken a little to far and that's why guys end up double upside down in them trying to reinvent the wheel. If your going to paint it take it to someone that does good glass work first and have those areas fixed correctly first most body shops will fill cracks but not get to the root of the problem. Have it painted, new interior put the power back in and only fix what needs to be fixed don't get carried away.
    Thanks for the comments, never to late for a reply. I’ve been very busy lately and haven’t been home. As I travel a lot. As for now she still sits completely covered up outside. It’s currently 28* so no rush to get to it anytime soon. She seems solid in the transom area. Fiberglass work doesn’t scare me. Love to learn and those that enjoy it tend to keep doing it until it’s right. The original engine was a small block from the factory. But I do have a nicely rebuilt Gen 6 that’s relatively mild around 520-540hp. Seats I will basicallly make
    From scratch. And have all new Upholstry done and buy new direct. I’d like to keep it mostly looking original style to the first sweet 16 in the mid late 60’s. It’s been a bad year for our family so that takes priority over any project. It happens that’s life. But we are looking to build a nice 30x40 on our property. I’d like to continue on with this 22 classic. As for when we go bigger 30’+ I like the 22 for ease of use for small trips. Merry Christmas Everyone.

Thread Information