Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Can Someone Please tell me it's worth it 96' 22C

Can Someone Please tell me it's worth it 96' 22C

Where to start really? Well I should have known better, as Red was always my bad luck color but I guess it was just a bad call at the time. But the mid 90's Red Classic issues has gotten me pretty good with the body so looking for advise on how to tackle this? Let it go or keep going? Wife loves the classic. I have 2 other boats but the Classic is her favorite. FYI it was originally a SBC/ Bravo now a BBC/Bravo setup.
    Following are a few pictures to help you guys understand what i'm seeing. Gel coat has cracked in multiple areas and blisters towards the front by the bow/ engine cover and inside the cockpit front back and inside the storage area between the seats. Before you assume the worst the transom and stringers look solid. I've drilled holes in the top ( where donzi originally filled with foam from the factory) to make sure no water was in there sitting. Should I jump ship or learn and tackle this thing. I've already started sanding inside the engine bay prepping for paint and clearing out any noticeable issues. Repair & repaint and enjoy it for the few years? Change the color and be married to it for the next few years? What should I do fellow Donzi Enthusiast??? Thanks Guys and Gals (if any?)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Can't view the pics . Photobucket wants your money
    Just because something's old doesn't mean you throw it away !

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan's Cloud View Post
    Can't view the pics . Photobucket wants your money
    Yep. Screw PB. Post pics directly. If photo bucket has blocked your access you can take screenshots of them.
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

Yup! Just seen this this morning. Worked last night then I just did some reading. Photobucket wants $400 for 3rd party posting. That's nuts! I'll find another way and post them later today. Sorry guys. I could really use some input.

Posted directly. I'll do that from now on.

----Boy,,,How to answer this question. What I see is a boat that needs a total restoration. With that said you aren't going to realize a big payday as is. But if you restore it your wallet will repeatedly say ouch even if you do some of or all of the work!
    ----Question; Are those blisters on the side just in the paint or in the jellcoat. I just don't ever remember seeing blisters in that area. Usually, as you may know, they are below the waterline.
    ----I believe if it was me I would sell and buy another 22. There are always nice ones available, and I think you would spend less doing that than restoring yours. Theres somebody out there that wants a project and thinks that they can do it economically. I stress "thinks". The wife comment is important as it sounds like she really enjoys a 22. Mine,,,not so much. Bigger and quieter for her........Bill S

I've been through something similar

I can't tell you what to do but I can share my experience with our 18C. It looked great and ran great when we bought it. 18 months later we discovered that the transom core and stringers in the bilge were rotten. We rebuilt that, put a new oil pan and timing cover, etc. on the motor, new steering, gimble, etc. A year later the port head went and I pumped salt water all through the block. Now it has a new 377 bored .040, etc. The original plan was to only keep this for 2 years and then get a 22C. Now I'm sort of married to this boat. Everything has been done except a new interior. There is some minor checking to the deck. Mechanically the boat is solid. I'm getting some pressure from the rest of the people that live under our roof for something more family/fish friendly. No decision has been made but for the time, money and effort I have into this my tendency is to keep it. And I really like driving it!!!

'07 22 Classic Shelby GT
    '96 18 Classic - sold
    '69 16 Ski & Sport - sold

As someone who has stared such a project in the face, and decided to go through with it, here are some thoughts.

Having a wife that loves the boat is worth it's weight in GOLD! But isn't THAT Donzi 22 she loves. Any Donzi 22 would work.

As was stated, you will never get back what you spend to restore it. Not even close. If you are a project guy, and want to do it yourself, depending on you level of skill doing the gel/paint portion of the work, you are going to have at least $15K into the boat to bring it back to proper condition. Less is you are a jack of all trades, and can also do engine work, and upholstery, like f_inscreename (Mark).

If it was me, I would sell it as a project, and look for a nice 22. They are out there. And you could come out about the same financially in the end, but without the seemingly endless work and headaches.
    “Oh right, because you walked into strippers discount warehouse and said ‘Help me showcase my intellect.’” - Archer

Bill
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    1985 Donzi Criterion SS
    1967 Donzi 16 Ski Sporter, C16-409, Has a new home!
    38' Carver Aft Cabin
    1968 Sea Ray SRV 180 w/1975 70 hp Evinrude
    10" RIB w/15 hp 1984 Evinrude

Sorry can't help on the decision but I would be interested in purchasing if you do go that route. Good luck in whatever you do.

Quote Originally Posted by jvcobra View Post
    Sorry can't help on the decision but I would be interested in purchasing if you do go that route. Good luck in whatever you do.
    I'll send you a Pm On other details.

As for the comments so far thank you all for the honesty.

I am a jack of all trades all except Upholstry. I do have to outsource for that one. However I do have good resources with automotive paint shops but may be limited to fiberglass construction. Not scared in the least to try new stuff. Again thank you all for the input.

On a funny note... seal it rat rod it and cut the exhaust through the hatch and make it dry? Lol j/k of course. And what a shame. I found this picture on here from original owner. But I for some reason can't update the registry?!?!?!?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by KrausMotorSports View Post
    I'll send you a Pm On other details.

As for the comments so far thank you all for the honesty.

I am a jack of all trades all except Upholstry. I do have to outsource for that one. However I do have good resources with automotive paint shops but may be limited to fiberglass construction. Not scared in the least to try new stuff. Again thank you all for the input.

On a funny note... seal it rat rod it and cut the exhaust through the hatch and make it dry? Lol j/k of course. And what a shame. I found this picture on here from original owner. But I for some reason can't update the registry?!?!?!?
    have the same problem with mine. Previous owner registered it in the registry and now all I get are errors that it's already been registered. Between that and the "no permission to access" my own profile and settings or member list to pm people I'm not a huge fan of the current state of this excellent resource.

As Bill (oldredalert) said, never saw blisters there before. Scares me a little. Made me wonder if it sank, among other things. Not sure I wouldn't consider another project. But maybe.
    "I don't have time to get into it, but he went through a lot." -Pulp Fiction

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    As Bill (oldredalert) said, never saw blisters there before. Scares me a little. Made me wonder if it sank, among other things. Not sure I wouldn't consider another project. But maybe.
    I have reason to believe that there was water trapped in the sides of the cover causing this. It's lived most its live with the mooring cover on it. It's the same on both sides.

There are two kinds of boaters. Those who enjoy working on and restoring boats and those who mainly want to drive them. I personally like to drive them. You need to ask yourself which group you are in!
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

I probably have one of the best (if not the best) restored 22C in existence.
    I don't have as much money invested as Carl C does, as he bought his boat new,
    or Stan Pike who completely re-invented a 22C, but I have as much invested as
    a new 22C plus 2,500-3,000 hours of labor and I have a survey evaluating it
    for $55,000. It took nine years, and parts of it were fun, but not all of it.
    I really don't recommend the process. Buy the best boat you can afford.
    Mine's available.........
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Quote Originally Posted by Carl C View Post
    There are two kinds of boaters. Those who enjoy working on and restoring boats and those who mainly want to drive them. I personally like to drive them. You need to ask yourself which group you are in!
    Thats probably the best statement I've ever heard in my life. And for some reason never thought of it that way. I guess I would think of myself as a restorer. Never scared to take on new challenges and don't mind working until 2am. I have two other boats to use in the meantime. Not classics but they will work. And since this thing will need new paint anyhow I'd like to think outsode
    the box on color. Chevrolet Sunburst Orange maybe? Or something in the wood grain look like another classic was finished with? Have you guys seen that one?

Thread Information