Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need Advice On Harvey Damaged 22C

Need Advice On Harvey Damaged 22C

I was one of the many who sustained flooding in the Cedar Bayou area during the torrential rains of Harvey. As a result we sustained 2 flooded houses, 3 flooded vehicles and sunken 22 Classic it was under for 3-4 days. My Classic is a 1999 7.4MPI with around 215hrs or so on it. Its in good to excellent condition and has just had all the hardware removed and reinstalled with new DonziDirect steering wheel, cowl vents , side stickers, speakers after it was wet sanded and buffed just a few months ago and covered.

I was wondering what to expect from the results of the survey possibly? I have it insured for $25000 cash value plus trailer at the time.

Will it be totaled?
    Will they pay the insured value?
    If they do not total it how will it effect its value in the future?
    Will it be right again if not?

I live where the 52" fell and the 60" was just north by 7 miles or so. It all drained down Cedar Bayou which we live 200' from.

http://pix11.com/2017/08/29/harvey-b...opical-system/

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/08/29...52-inches.html

http://baytownsun.com/news/article_7...98d40f486.html

Anyone have any comments? They are coming to get it today.

sorry for your losses,

with the 22 they may total it I have heard of people buying back the totaled item for a discounted rate and then repairing it with the settlement money.

but that is under normal conditions with a disaster on the scale of Harvey the insurance companies may act differently

good luck hope things get back to normal for you and all of you down there.
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Salt? If so, take the money and run..
    Cheers,
    Pismo
    1996 22 Classic
    Red with Stainless Windshield
    Stock Gen VI 502 Magnum MPI-415hp
    Stock Bravo I
    25" Mirage Plus
    74.5mph best @ 5050rpm GPS (Speedo said 80)
    27" Labbed Mirage Plus
    75.5mph best @ 4800rpm GPS (Speedo said 82)

----I hate to say this and certainly hope I'm wrong, but I have been told that many boat insurance policies don't cover hurricane damage. Good luck with your problem and I sincerely hope I am wrong.......Bill S

TX , I feel for you and your losses and what you've been through , along with everyone else there . I can imagine the state that you must be in right now . Where do you even begin ?

As someone above asked , was it salt water ?
    Was it tossed around badly and suffered other serious structural damage ?

Out here (nasty very salty water ) boats are regularly salvaged if they simply sink without other physical damage , the problem is that to do it right generally the engine and everything electrical will have to be replaced.
    I think an engine that has gone for a swim in fresh water is pretty salvageable but a fair bit of electrical replacement will be needed.

What I have heard done out here in the past is the owner will accept the repair settlement (parts and labor are expensive) and then sell the boat as a handyman special and come out on top in terms of a total loss cash settlement seeing the boat for resale in the condition it was before the sinking was less than new replacement .

Why is anyone coming to take the boat anyway if nothing's been settled on yet ?
    Just because something's old doesn't mean you throw it away !

A friend of mine sank his 18C on our local fresh water lake, actually got swamped on the beach & went under water. It was under water for probably 12-14 hours before it was recovered and towed back to the marina. Other than the water he did have some fairly minor gel damage. He probably had the boat insured for $16-18K. His boat was totaled and he bought it back for a pretty low price. He dried it out and went through the motor so it's all running again.

If you're thinking of keeping the boat I wouldn't let anyone take it away. I'd keep it in your possession. It's just a lot harder to get it back when someone takes it away. I've had a couple of cars in some pretty bad wrecks and I always try to keep the vehicle in my possession until things are settled. Good luck and sorry about the issues.
    RickS-E

Sorry to hear about the flooding and loss of the 22. As someone who went through the same thing during Sandy the insurance companies are so overwhelmed they will most likely just total it. You should have an opportunity to buy it from them but they will set the price. Boat titles don't reflect the salvage condition but you should disclose it if you were to sell. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by RickSE View Post
    If you're thinking of keeping the boat I wouldn't let anyone take it away. I'd keep it in your possession. It's just a lot harder to get it back when someone takes it away. I've had a couple of cars in some pretty bad wrecks and I always try to keep the vehicle in my possession until things are settled. Good luck and sorry about the issues.
    This is key. Keep it on your property. They can evaluate it at your place. I'd do this even if it has to sit on the ground. Once it goes to the yard, you have no leverage in the situation.

A lot of good comments here....
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

This was all fresh rain water with heavy mud sediment in it. The boat was stored under my rental that is on stilts it was not tossed around be was scraped a few places by objects in the massive current flow. The seats and hatches floated and washed away I plan to look for those in the wooded area on my neighbors property this weekend or next when I have time. I had those out of the boat and the boat was covered. They are not sending adjusters to evaluate any vehicles on site they are storing them in large quantities and going over them there. The entire Royal Purple\Houston Raceway Park facility is covered every inch and MANY other facilities. I heard as many as nearly 700k vehicles in the area and that's not boat\trailer, trailers, travel trailers, motor homes and motorcycles.

Boat Settlement

I got my settlement from the insurance company. I had a cash value policy at a value of $25000. They deemed the boat totaled and will payout the cash value of the policy minus my deductible. I will get $23750 since my deductible was $1250 they keep the boat. I feel pretty good about that since I paid $25000 for it in 2008. I probably had with a few upgrades to the boat (stereo, speakers, and new item I recently replace from DONZI direct) maybe $28000.

All the total loss claims for vehicles and boats will be issued JUNK titles for this storm according to the insurance company. I do not want the boat back anyhow since I don't have time to mess with it in a timely manner due to having to work on rebuilding two houses.

I was able to find the two interior hatch covers and seat cushions in the wooded area by my neighbors house since my initial post so I am sure they have some value.

If I had not had a cash value policy would I have came out better?

Glad you got the full amount. Just curious what was the buy back?

Quote Originally Posted by jvcobra View Post
    Glad you got the full amount. Just curious what was the buy back?
    Ya no $hit. I bet it was still in much better shape then some of the junk I haul out of the woods. Hate to see something like that go to the shredder.
    A winner is just a loser that got up and did it one more time.
    1959 Biesemeyer - 4pt Hydro Drag - 2013 ACBS Winner - Best Race Boat
    1967 Nova Marine - SuperNova24 - ACBS Winner - 2012 Best Race Boat - 2016 Peoples Choice & Best Non Wood
    1972 John Allmand - Nova 19
    1972 John Allmand - Nova19 (#2)
    1982 PolarKraft -Jonboat - Crab Killer

Yeah, sounds like it was a nice well cared for boat. I know about the stress trying to get the houses in order so a boat is low priority. Hopefully it goes to auction, I know I will be looking for it. 😁

Thread Information