Thread: Any clever ways to store fenders in a 22C?

Any clever ways to store fenders in a 22C?

I like to keep my boat as clean and clutter free as I can. While underway, the only thing I don't have stowed away is the three fenders I deploy while docked. I usually line them up in front and parallel to the rear bench. It is a very inelegant solution. Has anyone come up with a clever way of storing them so that they remain easily accessible? if so I'd love to see pictures.

Classic stowage is such a challenge. I suppose you could make a long, skinny custom bag that went way forward under the bow, but was easy to get to.
    "I don't have time to get into it, but he went through a lot." -Pulp Fiction

I don't have a 22, I have a Classic 16, but I had the same problem, I have put a net in the starboard side of the engine housing, next to the engine, and store them in there, I'll post a photo in a few days,if anyone is interested, I'm away from home at the moment

Quote Originally Posted by se7en View Post
    I don't have a 22, I have a Classic 16, but I had the same problem, I have put a net in the starboard side of the engine housing, next to the engine, and store them in there, I'll post a photo in a few days,if anyone is interested, I'm away from home at the moment
    I would like to see how you made that work.

I've considered researching someone who could make a storage compartment under the port side seat similar to the one that is under the back seat. Assuming there is space available under that area in the hull....

Quote Originally Posted by se7en View Post
    There is certainly ample room in the engine bay for such storage but I wouldn't consider that accessible, I would also be very hesitant to ask passengers to both reach in to remove or secure fenders while the engine was running. Too many unguarded belts to snag loose fitting clothing/jewellery. This might be less of a concern for someone that doesnt deploy bumpers often, but we deploy and stow both at our home dock as well as at destinations.

I'm considering fabricating a 3 tube "rocket launcher" type stowage that could mount up under the front deck while providing access from a seated position. I'm not sure how feasible this is currently, but if I figure something out, I'll post up here.

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianEhTeam View Post
    There is certainly ample room in the engine bay for such storage but I wouldn't consider that accessible, I would also be very hesitant to ask passengers to both reach in to remove or secure fenders while the engine was running. Too many unguarded belts to snag loose fitting clothing/jewellery. This might be less of a concern for someone that doesnt deploy bumpers often, but we deploy and stow both at our home dock as well as at destinations.

I'm considering fabricating a 3 tube "rocket launcher" type stowage that could mount up under the front deck while providing access from a seated position. I'm not sure how feasible this is currently, but if I figure something out, I'll post up here.
    Agreed, this has always been what stopped me from stowing frequently-used items in the motorbox. Piling on further, fenders often have loose tie-lines on them, making it even more likely that things get pulled into the belts and pulleys.

Not fenders, but along the same lines, I freed up some space in my Cig's cabin by rigging some netting with shock cord. I'll see if I can dig up a pic...

Here are a couple shots. Freed up a lot of space getting the lifejackets and a bunch of canvas out of the way.

IMG_0429.JPG

Screen Shot 2017-09-13 at 3.56.02 PM.png

Look into these tablet fenders and flat stack them in your ski locker with the sheet end out so you can grab them easily. You could also re-rig these with pin style quick cleats if your 22 doesn't have them.

http://www.anchoring.com/modular-fla...er-bumper.html

Quote Originally Posted by Rob M View Post
    Look into these tablet fenders and flat stack them in your ski locker with the sheet end out so you can grab them easily. You could also re-rig these with pin style quick cleats if your 22 doesn't have them.

http://www.anchoring.com/modular-fla...er-bumper.html
    oddly enough the previous owner of my boat installed a Bimini top with quick release fittings. I took off the top, disconnected the quick release tabs from the Bimini and connected them to my fenders.

Going to put in my usual pitch--hang cleats with shock cord. The better-protected boat, the hardware, and the fenders will all thank you.

Here's a way to create a lot of storage.
    But it's also a lot of work. Besides building and installing the platform and
    cutting out the old ski locker. I cut 7" out of the bottom of the foot support,
    re-glassed, and re-finished the whole assembly. When I travel w/this boat,
    the upholstery, tools, cover, fenders, and life jackets all go into this space,
    w/space left over.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Like George said, toss 'em up in here: 😉
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

For any one that may be interested, this is the net I put in the engine housing on my Classic 16 to store my fenders, and YES it is not a good idea to get the fenders out whilst the engine is running, that is why for the 10 or 15 seconds it takes I kill the motor, its only common sense ...

Thread Information