Thread: Hi-Tek Manifolds

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hi-Tek Manifolds

I hate to have to make a post like this, but I purchased a set of Hi-Tek manifolds for my 18 with a 351W. The parts came from China and look very nice cosmetically, but the bolt holes do not line up with my engine (and the exhaust gasket supplied with the manifold) at all. At the end bolts they are out at least 1/16". Some of the holes are so close the the exhaust channels that I can't grind them out to fit without grinding into the exhaust channel.
    This is the second set that came from them - the first time they sent me the wrong parts by mistake. Alan appears to be a stand-up guy and exchanged the first set of parts no problem, but this quality issue is a good reason to be very wary of these parts. Unfortunately, because the manifold and riser design is a good one in theory.
    Just wanted to let everyone know of this situation in case one of you is considering ordering a pair.

Hope those of you in Florida were not hit too hard.

- Don

I had the same issues 15 years ago (thought they were made in Australia??) with their manifolds for a Chrysler. Flanges didn't line up, Because of runner tube being wrong I had to dent in a couple runners to get the bolts in, after a year the "water box" around the tubes cracked and started to leak. They were under warranty but required the manifolds to be sent back (to Australia) for a cost of $350 bucks and took 4 months to get back. When they were away I dumped the Chrysler and went BBC and sold the manifolds as soon as they hit my door. I would never buy Hi Tec even though like you said it should be a good design.
    A winner is just a loser that got up and did it one more time.
    1959 Biesemeyer - 4pt Hydro Drag - 2013 ACBS Winner - Best Race Boat
    1967 Nova Marine - SuperNova24 - ACBS Winner - 2012 Best Race Boat - 2016 Peoples Choice & Best Non Wood
    1972 John Allmand - Nova 19
    1972 John Allmand - Nova19 (#2)
    1982 PolarKraft -Jonboat - Crab Killer

In 2013 I built a 4.3 for my woody boat and used Hi-Tek manifolds. They bolted right up perfectly, looked great (still do) and continue to perform trouble free.
    They are one of the few good exhaust options available when building a SBF. IF I didn't already have a set of old school SBF HM logs for my current Formula Jr. project, I would call Alan and use Hi-Teks again in a snap.
    SeaJ43.JPG
    Sean Conroy,
    1964 Formula Jr. (hull #2) project

1972 Greavette Sunflash III
    1981 Kavalk Mistral project

"A man can accomplish anything... as long as he doesn't care who gets the credit."

This is certainly very interesting to hear of , and not in a good way .
    I got in contact with Alan in 2003 and had him make a set for our 502 mag with 3" extensions . They were not cheap and the freight alone for them was high as well seeing we're on opposite sides of the globe but they were the real deal and still look and perform great . The only issue I had was that I wasn't happy with the bolts supplied with the kit and substituted them for the next length up in stainless steel .

If Hi-Tek has outsourced their work to China then I'm going to have to seriously reconsider a set for the Volvo in the St T (something which as been on my mind for a while now)
    Just because something's old doesn't mean you throw it away !

Hi-Tek is in Australia

But the parts came drop shipped from China.
    One side looks OK, but the other is way off.
    I went to work on the part with a die grinder and probably scrapped it because I had to grind so far into the exhaust channel to get the bolt head to clear. I have enjoyed talking to Alan and may be able to work it out, but I have lost another season.
    I wish there was another 351W option.
    My boat has been sitting in the garage 3 years now with a new engine looking for headers.
    - Don

Quote Originally Posted by donzidon View Post
    The same reason I dumped the Chrysler. No exhaust options.
    A winner is just a loser that got up and did it one more time.
    1959 Biesemeyer - 4pt Hydro Drag - 2013 ACBS Winner - Best Race Boat
    1967 Nova Marine - SuperNova24 - ACBS Winner - 2012 Best Race Boat - 2016 Peoples Choice & Best Non Wood
    1972 John Allmand - Nova 19
    1972 John Allmand - Nova19 (#2)
    1982 PolarKraft -Jonboat - Crab Killer

But the parts came drop shipped from China.
    One side looks OK, but the other is way off.
    I went to work on the part with a die grinder and probably scrapped it because I had to grind so far into the exhaust channel to get the bolt head to clear. I have enjoyed talking to Alan and may be able to work it out, but I have lost another season.
    My boat has been sitting in the garage 3 years now with a new engine looking for headers.
    - Don
    Don, do you have a good TIG welder in your neck of the woods who could maybe "work his magic" and salvage the header?

Ken

...I had to grind so far into the exhaust channel to get the bolt head to clear...
    What about using stainless cap screws instead of bolts. (or is that what you have?)
    Sean Conroy,
    1964 Formula Jr. (hull #2) project

1972 Greavette Sunflash III
    1981 Kavalk Mistral project

"A man can accomplish anything... as long as he doesn't care who gets the credit."

Thread Information