Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: The Donzi 'Oasis' and Hurricane Darby.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    535
    Rep Power
    16

    The Donzi 'Oasis' and Hurricane Darby.

    It's been 25 years since Hurricane Darby gave a Southern California fishing party one memorable 4th of July holiday off Isla Socorro and Isla San Benedicto, 200 miles South of Cabo San Lucas, Mexico. Their Roscioli Donzi 65 sure helped them win some time, but late skipper Lance Ekberg and his first mate Jay Halford from Huntington Beach sure did their absolute best too. The Coast Guard coordinated for a successful rescue by an honorable merchant marine Captain and they were able to all make it home to loved ones and share the story. That was not the case in 1974 when 10 California fellows lost their lives in the same waters in a 63 footer and vanished without a trace.
    Watch the video and read the article in Los Angels Times.


    LA Times article: http://articles.latimes.com/1992-08-...urricane-darby

    Roscioli Donzi 65 sister ship:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    LARS THE SWEDE

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    332
    Rep Power
    0
    Fascinating video, thank you for posting it.

    Wonder if the boat went under?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    535
    Rep Power
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Offset View Post
    Fascinating video, thank you for posting it.

    Wonder if the boat went under?
    Oh yes, she was leaking like a sieve. Bill Holekamp, the owner, ordered himself another Donzi 65 Sportfisher right off the bat. He, the captain and all on board were very impressed by her sea-worthiness and credit the quality of her design and construction as two of the factors that saved their souls.
    LARS THE SWEDE

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,181
    Rep Power
    15
    Lars, what in the world made you remember that now--did someone re-publish the story? (I recall reading about it after it happened, in Boating magazine I think.)
    "I don't have time to get into it, but he went through a lot." -Pulp Fiction

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    2,035
    Rep Power
    18
    I haven't seen this particular video but I remember seeing on tv one night a while after it happened on "Amazing Videos' , or something like that title.

    I seem to recall the owner saying that the licks they took were so brutal that even the heads (toilets) were shattered despite never coming loose from their mounts. He recalled , in amazement , that the etched glass bulkhead window from the c0ckpit into the salon was completely intact without even a stress crack when on any other boat the entire thing would have long shattered from the flexing between the hull and deck .

    I went through a Z65 in '93 at the Miami show with Bob Roscioli and I was amazed at the overbuilt way he did everything . If another boat had 1" stuff he had 2" and so on . They are incredible .
    Just because something's old doesn't mean you throw it away !

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    535
    Rep Power
    16

    Dreams of Mexico and exotic places in general.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Lars, what in the world made you remember that now--did someone re-publish the story? (I recall reading about it after it happened, in Boating magazine I think.)
    The current Hurricane season and the constant discussions among boaters here in Southern California where a great majority totally underestimate how treacherous the ocean is in the late afternoon out here. I was on a 3 week vacation in Manzanillo, Colima, Mexico a few months before this accident and never heard of it in the local news back in Los Angeles. However I also read about it a year later in Yachting Magazine, 1993 July issue and was blown away by how lucky these guys were to have survived. A few days ago I was reading about the situation in Houston and I remembered this old boating accident. Googled Donzi, hurricane and Socorro and the TV footage popped up on YouTube. I thought to myself, got to stick this up on our local fishing Forum here on the Pacific coast and then stuck it up on Donzi.net too out of habit with the hope that maybe it will make a few more boaters prepare a little bit extra for stuff that is hard to prepare for. With common sense, some seamanship and a well built boat, like in this case, there is at least a fair chance to make it back to a safe harbor.

    P.S. Did rent a little Hobie sailing cat while staying at the Las Hadas Hotel for a few days, but unfortunately didn't spot Bo Derek. Haven't been back, but hope to take my wife one of these days. The Las Hadas Hotel is one truly remarkable destination and that goes for the whole state of Colima. D.S.

    Article: https://books.google.com/books?id=xL...ricane&f=false



    Check out the unique Las Hadas Hotel:
    https://www.lasbrisashotels.com.mx/e...nillo/gallery/
    LARS THE SWEDE

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    5,506
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by lars View Post
    It's been 25 years since Hurricane Darby gave a Southern California fishing party one memorable 4th of July holiday off Isla Socorro and Isla San Benedicto, 200 miles South of Cabo San Lucas, Mexico. Their Roscioli Donzi 65 sure helped them win some time, but late skipper Lance Ekberg and his first mate Jay Halford from Huntington Beach sure did their absolute best too. The Coast Guard coordinated for a successful rescue by an honorable merchant marine Captain and they were able to all make it home to loved ones and share the story. That was not the case in 1974 when 10 California fellows lost their lives in the same waters in a 63 footer and vanished without a trace. Watch the video.
    Good to hear from you Lars and thanks for posting this. Amazing stuff! You always find the cool stuff.
    1972 16 OB - C16B-63 - "Surface Tension" Resto Project
    1974 16 OB - DMR16106017-B - "The Mule"

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,181
    Rep Power
    15
    Ahhh, gotcha. Thanks for the throwback--I enjoyed hearing about it again and as you say, the lessons are timeless.
    "I don't have time to get into it, but he went through a lot." -Pulp Fiction

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    535
    Rep Power
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Guimond View Post
    Good to hear from you Lars and thanks for posting this. Amazing stuff! You always find the cool stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Ahhh, gotcha. Thanks for the throwback--I enjoyed hearing about it again and as you say, the lessons are timeless.
    Good to hear from You Guys too. Wish You only the best.

    Cheers, Lars.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    LARS THE SWEDE

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •