Thread: New 532 BBF need help with cam selection in z25

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

New 532 BBF need help with cam selection in z25

Hello,

my 89 Z25's 460 let go on me and i have replaced it with a 532 with aluminum heads. the motor did not come with a cam and im having the hardest time deciding between a roller cam set up or a flat tappet. I have heard horror stories about roller lifters not lasting, push rod angles not being correct and trashing the valve-train, and at the same time i've read horror stories where people are trashing flat tappet cams once a year.

so im really just looking for a couple opinions on what you would do, im completely open at this point as to which way to go flat tappet or roller.

the engine is brand new never started, with roller rockers, eldebrock intake, and will be running an 850 carb (most likely quick fuel).

thanks in advance for any help.

I say go roller, I have purchased quality stuff and haven't had a problem with my engines.

Best,
    Matt

thanks for the input, is there a specific brand you have had luck out of or a brand to stay away from?

I just did a quick search on the Comp site, but nothing for marine use listed.....
    Maybe check w/Crane.
    I think most of the major cam companies will build what you want, you might check w/both.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

http://www.460ford.com/

http://www.460ford.com/

Signup on there and look around there are a few guys with marine experience. One guy is Paul Kane another is I believe The Mad Porter. Great place, Great guys and the only place to get Ford 385 series BBF help and advice.

Thanks for the advice, I signed up yesterday. I actually ended up buying a full roller set up and i found a great engine shop in Concord, NC which isn't too far from me. im am having him break in the engine and tune it on the dyno over the next few weeks. this guy is set on having me run the 750 Holley that came off my old dead 460, which doesn't sound like enough carb for that big motor...............but i guess we will see on the dyno.

the engine builder claimed with a roller cam and 850 carb these engine consistently produce 650hp/700tq every time he dynos one he builds, so i guess ill be able to call his bluff if it doesn't. ill post up the results.

Thread Information