Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need help with questions/advice about a 1996 16

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Need help with questions/advice about a 1996 16

Hello all,

I am getting to know my 16 and figure out the tendencies it has on the water. I think I have the trim tabs mostly figured out, location indicators would make me more comfortable with adjusting while learning how to use them. I use it on a roughly 400 acre lake with typical boat traffic, the worst waves I see are from wake boats. Nothing too major.

I would like to ask for advice from the community about what I do and don't want to do while driving this boat, anything that comes to mind will be helpful to me. My daily driver boat is a 22 ft Fisher Freedom deck boat, not real fast and certainly not as nimble to react as the 16. But this is what I'm used to driving, night and day difference.

So far I started out with the tabs all the way up and then tapped the trimmed tab buttons till it smoothed out, probably 6-7 times.

Here are a few questions that I used the search option on this site for but could not find any answers that helped. I have had other questions answered by searching so I think that I'm using it right.

1. Is there 1 ideal position for the trim tabs? And can they be used to level the load at all to adjust for more weight on one side of the boat?
    2. Can the gunnels go underwater during a turn?
    3. Do all the 16's have a ski locker? Mine has a round lid in the middle of the floor, I did not see anything like a ski locker when I pulled the carpet up.

But if anyone has any feedback whats o ever please let me have it.

Thanks in advance for your support.

Quote Originally Posted by 45171 View Post
    Hello all,

1. Is there 1 ideal position for the trim tabs? No . If there was you'd always be running under ideal weather/speed and load conditions

And can they be used to level the load at all to adjust for more weight on one side of the boat? This is exactly the sort of thing they are made for .

2. Can the gunnels go underwater during a turn? Been in a lot of boats that heel into turns but never seen one that puts the gunwhales under the water .

Thanks in advance for your support.
    Never had a 16 so I don't know about the ski locker though .
    Just because something's old doesn't mean you throw it away !

on the 16 skisporter the ski locker is on the starboard side infront of the dash a molded shelve that holds the ski it runs almost up to the nose not sure if the newer sweet 16( post 1990) or the 16 classic( with the 2+2 seating) have the forward ski locker I would think on a starboard helm sweet 16 the locker would be on the port side and on the classic it should be centered in the front

I had tabs on mine after I found the right prop I never used them left them all the way up

the tabs on my 16 could be a bit tricky and would do some weird stuff i had the boat going straight but the boat was on it's port side like in a tight turn

find the right prop and use the drive trim
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

you can get the rub rail wet if you like when the wife was in the boat she didn't like being on the low side of a turn she felt I could dunk her head in the water so left turn it was
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Quote Originally Posted by mattyboy View Post
    on the 16 skisporter the ski locker is on the starboard side infront of the dash a molded shelve that holds the ski it runs almost up to the nose not sure if the newer sweet 16( post 1990) or the 16 classic( with the 2+2 seating) have the forward ski locker I would think on a starboard helm sweet 16 the locker would be on the port side and on the classic it should be centered in the front

I had tabs on mine after I found the right prop I never used them left them all the way up

the tabs on my 16 could be a bit tricky and would do some weird stuff i had the boat going straight but the boat was on it's port side like in a tight turn

find the right prop and use the drive trim
    Thanks for the reply Mattboy. Mine has that molded shelf on the port side. It's sufficient to hold the fenders, ropes and whatever miscellaneous stuff I have but I was kind of expecting that all of them would have the hatch in the floor like I think I have seen on some.

Do you know if anyone has ever tried making more storage under the passengers seats?

Do you remember what prop worked best for you? I have 2 for mine and was going to switch to the smaller one because the RPMs wont get much over 4K with the bigger prop that is currently on it.

I haven't really used the drive trim for anything, I've just been trying to get to know the trim tabs....

Your drive trim is everything.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan's Cloud View Post
    Never had a 16 so I don't know about the ski locker though .
    I have gotten conflicting answers when I ask the question about leveling the load using the trim tabs. It makes sense to me that they could be used to help with that but the few people that I have asked tell me no, to load the boat in a manner to make it even as possible. Which is impossible when I'm alone.

As you can tell I need a lot more seat time

And experience posting on the forum, sorry for replying to the wrong quote...

I have gotten conflicting answers when I ask the question about leveling the load using the trim tabs. It makes sense to me that they could be used to help with that but the few people that I have asked tell me no, to load the boat in a manner to make it even as possible. Which is impossible when I'm alone.

As you can tell I need a lot more seat time

And experience posting on the forum, sorry for replying to the wrong quote...

Although some people seem to have a misplaced abhorrence to trim tabs I wouldn't own a V bottomed boat without them .
    Everyone knows that we can never seem to get our passengers or other cargo to go exactly where it should for perfect balance on every trip .
    Out drive trim is a separate function altogether and should not be confused with what tabs do . Trim and the most perfect prop in the world cannot overcome a boat that is not perfectly balanced port to stbd or is experiencing a stiff beam wind while running .

If I need to level the boat for the most comfortable and driest ride I'll be far from running at WOT and a negligible amount of drag won't matter in the least . It's not like I'm going to have the bow stuffed a foot lower than the transom !
    Just because something's old doesn't mean you throw it away !

I will get that information together when I get home from work this evening.

In the meantime I thought I would share a couple of pics of what we are talking about, and I have never posted any pictures of it on here yet. Capture1.PNGCaptureinterior.PNG

the shelve is the ski locker

yes hornet marine made a 16 splash and made storage and cooler in the seat bases could be done but would be a glass project

we need more on your setup to tell you props eng and drive ratio

my setup was a beast when i first got it it would porpoise chine walk tail spin I could get the tabs to help but I went thru about 10 props until I found one that the ride was stable under all conditions

I had a volvo with no trim you have a merc setup with trim so your props are going to different from mine

tabs do help if your not able to get up on top of the rough stuff, to keep the nose down and cut thru it as far as side to side leveling with a family of 4 it was putting stuff in the right place cargo and passengers in a 16 with 4 people everything in its place and a place for everything

the other good thing with tabs is tubing you and go real slow and keep the nose down for tubers who don't like fast
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

some time behind the wheel and it will be damn the tabs

learn to fly
    Attached Images Attached Images
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Nice ride Mattboy- I really like the timeline that you have started. I personally appreciate anything that's older and classic/original and would've probably spent more time shopping for an original boat before buying this one if I knew then what I do now. This was one of those things that I had to have as soon as I saw it and glad that I went for it. Am I'm glad that I did!

I was hoping to see a picture of that factory installed head , that's one way to get around not having to find a way to climb back into it haha!

I've felt a little chine walk already when I've been alone in it with the tabs somewhat down going in the high 40's. I can only assume that it will get worse with higher speeds and less hull in the water.

1. Is there 1 ideal position for the trim tabs? And can they be used to level the load at all to adjust for more weight on one side of the boat?
    2. Can the gunnels go underwater during a turn?
    3. Do all the 16's have a ski locker? Mine has a round lid in the middle of the floor, I did not see anything like a ski locker when I pulled the carpet up.
    Based on my '92 Sweet 16:

1. Although proper loading is important, leveling is accomplished otherwise by the tabs. I also use them along with the trim to get the best ride depending on speed and water conditions. Remember unless they are in the full up position they are creating drag.
    2. on a hard right turn I've wet my hand when it's hanging over the gunn'l. That's also why my better half no longer rides with me.
    3. i have STB steering and there is a ski locker on left of center. That's where I store fenders and stuff. On my boat, the fuel tank access is under the round port in the floor.

Your trim is your first choice for control of the drive, whether down for takeoff or straight on for cruising or what setting is nesessary to control proposing or conditions.

Regarding your prop, we need: engine, drive ratio, what make and pitch prop you now have, GPS MPH, and rpm you get and what you want.

More than other advice: SEAT TIME.

John C
    '
    92 Sweet 16 302 Ford
    Windshields are for Sissies!!!

Regarding your prop, we need: engine, drive ratio, what make and pitch prop you now have, GPS MPH, and rpm you get and what you want.

More than other advice: SEAT TIME.

John C[/QUOTE

OK John here is what I'm running...

• Mercruiser 5.7 estimated to have 400HP
    • Owners manual says the outdrive ratio is a 2.0
    • WOT was 49 MPH at 4,100 RPM
    • Current prop is a Ballistic 14 & 3/8 x 21
    • Spare prop is an Apollo HXS 14 & 1/8 x 19, the original owner replaced it because the RPM's were going to high.

I just want to find the most appropriate prop to make it as user friendly as possible for now. I can experiment with others as I get to know the boat better. That's my initial thought but I'm happy to listen to anyone else's experiences and can be persuaded

ratio is 1.5 ... unless wrong drive on the boat and it still wouldnt be 2.0... no such thing

Is the 5.7 " built " ? ... where did the 400 hp come from ?

Last edited by Lenny; 08-01-2017 at 11:56 PM.

Thread Information