Quote Originally Posted by John C in PA View Post
Its also the way for the wife to announce that she will never, ever go out in your Donzi again ☹️☹️.
John C
Well, for some, that may be a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan's Cloud View Post
Just to clarify what I do .
Evaluate conditions , set course , watch the horizon and the bow of the boat , gas it !
Adjust throttle , trim and if needed , tabs to suit the conditions and speed . You can tell when you're right without even referring to the gauges. The boat tells me .

Wherever the gauges happen to be is what it is but I never say 'things are great but I don't like where that needle is on the trim gauge , or the indicators for the tabs.'
Besides , a slight change of course and you're re-adjusting things anyway to compensate for waves and a beam wind .
Hey , I just remembered .. When I re-rigged the St T I told the engine installer to leave the trim gauge out . Only something else to go wrong and break down anyway .
The Mag does have one though and it's now on the fritz .
Fully understand and agree with everything you say MC. It's just that I use my gauge every time because I know where the sweet spot is on the gauge and I can set the drive there and let the boat "catch up" to the drive position. That's immediately after getting on plane. The gauge helps me settle the boat on plane faster than doing it by feel. After that I will adjust by feel, but I find the gauge also prevents me from cruising with the drive a bit to high or low. By knowing where "level" is, I have a reference point of what "generally" works best. For my boat/drive, it's a known amount above level. And when going for top speed I know where on the gauge I will no longer see any increase, so I don't have to try and "find" the best position.

Matty: I've had friends it that same position. I love that pic.