Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: C-18 Performance Mods

Craigs results with the BH (and planing) are obviously better than mine.....and probably what you can expect.
    If you really want to snap a skier up, go with a jet drive. Pulls super hard! We use to have fun with the tournament ski boat guys (that's pre-wake board boat times...for you youngins). They'd make fun of the jet, so we'd talk them into doing a beach start behind my boat. They'd always take two or three coils of slack....and then I'd hammer it. Often, it would literally pull them right out of their ski.......and their arms were considerably longer after that.
    Why is faster never fast enough.

Quote Originally Posted by craigdskilling View Post
    For my set up I put a stainless Marine adjustable pick up on the back lower transom,and when I found the right spot which is not very low below the hull I welded it. Then 1"1/4 line to my see strainer and from there to my cooler and plumes it out beside my pump out hole. I didn't want to take from the motor in case there wasn't enough water flow. Pretty simple just watch for your pressure I put a block pressure have in and boost presure have in.can send you picks just text me. Looks great. And I can still pull skiers and tube rider's no problem if they stay on to long I just bring my drive up a hair and there gone 😁😁
    Craig, you always make me laugh! My dad would do that to me with the jetavator on our jet boat when I was a kid. If I didn’t ski the way he thought I should he would pull it up and blast me off the ski!! HA

Ok the Swimsteps are done. This was not a simple bolt on operation. I chose the Eddie Marine 24” clear anodized steps with the 12deg transom brackets. If you tape off the waterline on the sides of the hull these sit paralell to the water with the boat at rest just 2 inches above the water. That is true if the inner brackets are mounted flush to the transom. The outer brackets then don’t sit flush because of the transom curvature, so you have to make a wedge shim for each outer bracket. Eddie won’t make custom brackets for one off installations so I made these myself. I got some hard anodized bar stock from McMaster Carr and made two of these shims. All of the exposed surfaces are the anodized finish, the machined surfaces are mating. Then the holes in the transom have to be angled up for the whole thing to sit flush. It all turned out great, but it was a process for sure. I used Eddie Marine billet stringer washers and 316 SS cap screws on the inside of the transom with cut to length 316 SS threaded rod for the hardware. These are not glued on yet.

Also, I spoke with Dennis at Whipple and he says that if the sea water pump can maintain the minimum pressure with the intercooler on the same circuit then it is preferable for it to be after the pump but before any other coolers. So the plan stays as is. I fully expect the Johnson pump to have no problem maintaining good pressure.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I like it. Neat install and well thought out.

Chad, this looks like a cool project and it's coming along nicely! Where did you get the swim platforms and what will you use for a ladder?
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

Carl,

The platforms are from Eddie Marine, 24” wide with 12deg transom brackets. The bracket spacing works good on the 18. With the kplanes right underneath though, the only type of ladder that might fit would be the slide out Amarine type. I have not verified yet which one will fit. I may not put a ladder on at first and see if I can get away without it. The platforms are templated with holes for an aqua step pull down retractable ladder, but there isn’t room on the 18 for a pull down ladder.

Thanks for the info. After 13 seasons of climbing the drive I'm ready to install an easier method of boarding. I feel lucky that no one has cut their foot on the propeller yet and heavy people can't even swim because they can't get back in the boat. I think just one swim platform like yours with a built in ladder would work nicely.

It all starts with a swim platform...

Carl, the next thing you know you'll be putting a bimini on your boat!

'07 22 Classic Shelby GT
    '96 18 Classic - sold
    '69 16 Ski & Sport - sold

Quote Originally Posted by chip w View Post
    Carl, the next thing you know you'll be putting a bimini on your boat!

Quote Originally Posted by Carl C View Post
    Bimini ? baah !

I recommend anti-fouling paint !
    Just because something's old doesn't mean you throw it away !

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan's Cloud View Post
    Bimini ? baah !

I recommend anti-fouling paint !
    I laughed out loud.
    "I don't have time to get into it, but he went through a lot." -Pulp Fiction

Quote Originally Posted by Carl C View Post
    Thanks for the info. After 13 seasons of climbing the drive I'm ready to install an easier method of boarding. I feel lucky that no one has cut their foot on the propeller yet and heavy people can't even swim because they can't get back in the boat. I think just one swim platform like yours with a built in ladder would work nicely.
    Carl, Here is the aqua step ladder that is meant for this swim platform. I got one just to see if it might work with the K planes. It doesn’t on an 18, not sure about a 22. It is a great ladder because it self retracts and is very simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbochad View Post
    Carl, Here is the aqua step ladder that is meant for this swim platform. I got one just to see if it might work with the K planes. It doesn’t on an 18, not sure about a 22. It is a great ladder because it self retracts and is very simple.
    Thanks, I will look into that. Not quite ready for a bimini, bottom paint or cupholders yet! If I can ever teach someone to drive this boat maybe I can ski again.

FWIW, always thought some of these could also work well and take up less space. Depending on what folks are really wanting.

http://www.perko.com/catalog/deck_ha...32/fixed_step/

http://www.perko.com/catalog/deck_ha...60/fixed_step/

http://www.perko.com/catalog/deck_ha.../folding_step/
    "I don't have time to get into it, but he went through a lot." -Pulp Fiction

Ghost, I've thought about that 3rd one you posted. Mount it down low as possible, just to get that first step up to the drive.

I've also thought about using one of these:
    http://www.garelick.com/Telescoping-...t-Diver-Ladder
    along with one of their brackets so the ladder is removable:
    http://www.garelick.com/Standard-Tra...unting-Bracket

Chad, that type of ladder might work for you if you used their swim platform mount:
    http://www.garelick.com/Platform-Ladder-Mount-Bracket

I don't have the guts to cut the required hole in my transom, but take a look at the ladder at 2:45 of this video:
    http://www.garelick.com/Boarding-Ladders
    I think it's a pretty cool idea.

Of course, with the type of boating I've been doing the last several years, I've been making do with one of these

ladder.jpeg
    Why is faster never fast enough.

Thread Information