Thread: K-Planes on a 22C ?

K-Planes on a 22C ?

I have my 22C running pretty fast now, just nudging 90. The boat has a Merc Sportmaster XR drive, an Imco 2" shorty, 29p Max5.
    with the 5-blade Max5 prop it comes up on plane easily and the higher I trim it up, the faster it goes. It can get a little squirrely sometimes going for those last few mph though and I was wondering if some K-Planes might add stability at speed, or would they just create more drag and slow it down. It has the small Bennet trim tabs on it now, and I frankly never really need or use them.

I never saw a need for more than the small Bennets and I boat on the Great Lakes. K-planes can get you in trouble to if they are fast acting. And, yes, they would slow it down unless fully raised.
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

Thanks Carl, Kind of what I figured.

140 or 180 K-planes

43EE43F7-D64B-4F3D-B48F-EA1C413B26F0.jpeg
    I had 180 K-planes and they worked well. 280s would be too big
    Thank you, Patrick
    1994 18' Classic 350Mag Alpha

Previously owned Donzis -
    1996 22' Classic, 502Mag Bravo
    1987 20' Minx, 350Mag Alpha
    1975 18' Classic, 350Chevy Volvo 280

I have the Lenco 18 inch tabs on my boat. They are nice in that they auto retract with the key off and they also have indicators built into the control panel. I had 280s on my Blackhawk and they worked much better than the factory 150s.
    better to die on your feet, than live on your knees

Linco 👍

I added 12x9 Linco to my 18. I like the built in indicator and the auto retract. I?ve only really used them to counter act prop torque or unbalanced load.

On my 22? I used the tabs quite a bit running in rough water to fly flat. Used to run them right about at neutral.
    Thank you, Patrick

Our boat came from the factory with 150 or 180 K-Planes & several years ago we changed the lower plates out for 280's.

#1 After my experiences with Bennets on our 18C, they work great on mild power boats but I'd never run them on our 22C
    #2 I would not run K-Planes without indicators on a 22C
    #3 I don't know that I noticed a big difference between the shorter 150/180 K-Planes vs the 280's on our 22C, maybe need a little less tab now.
    #4 K-Planes will probably only help with chine walking at higher speeds. My K-Planes are all the way up when I go to WOT.
    RickS-E

Here?s a suggestion for a high speed 22

https://www.lencomarine.com/en/Produ...HD-Performance

IMHO 280k planes are overkill on a 22ft boat. The Donzi Blackhawk rocker hull being an exception.
    I also don?t think simple sheetmetal is a good option either.
    Something in the middle like the high performance Lenco or a smaller cast aluminum tab.
    Thank you, Patrick

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    It has the small Bennet trim tabs on it now, and I frankly never really need or use them.
    This line confuses me a bit John, as it contradicts your question. If you never need or use tabs, why go bigger? Is it that you have you used them to try and reduce the "squirrlyness", but they don't work, or they scrub too much speed?

Quote Originally Posted by Carl C View Post
    K-planes can get you in trouble to if they are fast acting. And, yes, they would slow it down unless fully raised.
    I agree with this, but the other side of the coin is that fast acting tabs can save you at times. I switched to the Eddie Marine tabs because I needed something that reacted quicker. When your boat suddenly starts slapping opposite rubrails, believe me, the tabs can't react quick enough.
    As far as slowing you down, yes, any tab will slow you down, but I went to a much longer tab so I could still use some tab without slowing me down as much. The longer tab puts the tip of the tab further out from the transom and gives you better "leverage". Thus, (in theory at least), you would require less tab in the water to get the same control as a shorter tab.

Quote Originally Posted by RickSE View Post
    #2 I would not run K-Planes without indicators on a 22C
    +1. I lost my indicators when I switched tabs and it's impossible to know exactly where your tabs are without indication. Running only by "feel" doesn't always work. On a stable boat, no problem, but when your boat is unpredictable it can get you into trouble.

.....good to see you're still around Rick
    Why is faster never fast enough.

Quote Originally Posted by yeller View Post
    This line confuses me a bit John, as it contradicts your question. If you never need or use tabs, why go bigger? Is it that you have you used them to try and reduce the "squirrlyness", but they don't work, or they scrub too much speed?
    I was wondering whether longer planes laid out flat would simulate a longer hull and give me a little more stability at speed and thus give me comfort to squeak out a few more mph. I really never need trim tabs to get up on plane, just occasionally to balance the boat or stop porpoising if fully loaded.

Hey John. Check your Pms
    better to die on your feet, than live on your knees

Any extra drag in the water "Tabs" will NOT increase speed only absorb speed. Also in rougher conditions they will tend to want to stuff the nose more.

Thread Information