Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: 22 Classic - Prop advice

That stinks Carl , I know you had high hopes for it. I think saris racing has used a lot of the 4 speeds on our hulls. Reach out to him I am sure he would be helpful
    better to die on your feet, than live on your knees

Thanks but right now I'm going to stick with the 30p Bravo 1. Some other unexpected (nonboat) expenses came up!
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

Quote Originally Posted by smokediver View Post
    He is running a 625 horsepower 540. Great numbers ! On the max 5 there are a few different variants in diameter and barrel length. Which did you end up with ?
    Well... now it's a 750 hp 584 ci.
    Merc XR sportmaster, IMCO 2" shorty & Max5 29p

As opposed to Carl's boat, mine has little but the prop in the water at speed. Every boat is a little different with pad shapes, X-dimensions, and all.

Thumbs up

Some people are never satisfied! How do you like it? More More More!!!!! So where does it end? This addiction for HP and Speed!!!

You stated in a previous post "For posterity, I ended up liking the Mercury Max5 29p best. 88 mph at 5,400. We're done"

So was that with the 540ci or the 584ci?

I'm so confused!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo440 View Post
    Some people are never satisfied! How do you like it? More More More!!!!! So where does it end? This addiction for HP and Speed!!!

You stated in a previous post "For posterity, I ended up liking the Mercury Max5 29p best. 88 mph at 5,400. We're done"

So was that with the 540ci or the 584ci?

I'm so confused!!!
    Sorry for the confusion.
    I rebuilt the 540 after we found water in it during the summer of 2020. It had picked up sand and overheated. I sent it to Corretti Racing who is now making standard deck height 582 ci 750 hp and he rebuilt it to that spec. Pretty much a whole new short block. The heads were still good. The thing is a beast and I now finally think this is enough for this boat. I finally found the point where the boat is willing and able to go faster than I want to. It used to be after topping out at max speed "we're gonna need a bigger engine and stronger drive". Now we're good

So 82.5 mph at 5300rpm with a Max5 28pitch prop on the 540ci setup in 2017!
    Now 88 mph at 5400rpm with a Max5 29pitch prop on the 584ci setup in 2021!

Is this correct?

Ok do you have any Dyno sheets of the 2 engines? And any other Technical info, because Curious minds want to know!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo440 View Post
    So 82.5 mph at 5300rpm with a Max5 28pitch prop on the 540ci setup in 2017!
    Now 88 mph at 5400rpm with a Max5 29pitch prop on the 584ci setup in 2021!

Is this correct?

Ok do you have any Dyno sheets of the 2 engines? And any other Technical info, because Curious minds want to know!!!!!
    Yes, those speeds and engines are correct. The rpm's are guestimates, but close. I don't have a tach with a telltale and tend to keep my eyes on the water when I'm moving.
    I previously misstated the first Max5 as a 28p when it was really a 27p Max5 and is the one Carl tried. I've been through so many props it's hard to keep them all straight.
    I don't have dyno sheets on the engines. Joe Corretti of Corretti Racing Engines builds them. He develops and dynos a package then repeats the same recipe but doesn't dyno each motor. He's been building "Big" big blocks for decades. Here is a link describing his engines with some details. http://www.correttiracingengines.com/

Now that seems more realistic, that it was a 27p @5300 doing 82.5mph vs a 29p @5400 doing 88mph. Now all the numbers workout in the ballpark. I will check into that website thanks!!!!

Hydro P5X

Anyone try ever try P5X.m? I didn?t try on my 22 Donzi but loved it on 24 Superboat and 24 Pantera.

Im about to get into testing on my 18C and will start with 23p Mirage plus and 23p Rev 4. Gonna use BBlades test program for Rev 4 and probably a Turbo 3 and 4 blade
    Thank you, Patrick
    1994 18' Classic 350Mag Alpha

Previously owned Donzis -
    1996 22' Classic, 502Mag Bravo
    1987 20' Minx, 350Mag Alpha
    1975 18' Classic, 350Chevy Volvo 280

Quote Originally Posted by Pat McPherson View Post
    Anyone try ever try P5X.m? I didn?t try on my 22 Donzi but loved it on 24 Superboat and 24 Pantera.

Im about to get into testing on my 18C and will start with 23p Mirage plus and 23p Rev 4. Gonna use BBlades test program for Rev 4 and probably a Turbo 3 and 4 blade

I have an p5x for my hornet III...

~3 Knots slower than my labbed bravo1fs.
    Loads of grip and even pulls the boat sideways at wot, did loose grip early when I trimmed out, hence the labbing.

P5x is getting labbed at the moment and will try it asap.

Not the same hull as the 22C, but..

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl195 View Post
    Loads of grip and even pulls the boat sideways at wot...
    That's the same feeling I get with any 4 blade I've tried on my 22 and why I prefer 3 blades. I would be interested in trying a 5 blade, just for kicks...
    Why is faster never fast enough.

Preferred 3 Blade ?

Quote Originally Posted by yeller View Post
    That's the same feeling I get with any 4 blade I've tried on my 22 and why I prefer 3 blades. I would be interested in trying a 5 blade, just for kicks...
    As I?ve posted in numerous threads, I liked / like the Revolution 4 on both my 22C and 18C. Particularly over the Mirage 3 blade props that came on the boats from the factory.

What 3 blade prop do you run?
    Thank you, Patrick
    1994 18' Classic 350Mag Alpha

Previously owned Donzis -
    1996 22' Classic, 502Mag Bravo
    1987 20' Minx, 350Mag Alpha
    1975 18' Classic, 350Chevy Volvo 280

Well.... I haven't run anything for years. Maybe someday I'll get back on the water.
    I have a Blackhawk drive on it now, but when I had the Bravo, for 4 blades, I tried a Bravo1, Hydromotive QIV and Spinneli something-or-other.
    I switched to a Mirage +, but it was really hard to get out of the hole. It kept blowing out and I'd have to shut right down and try again. Sometimes it'd take several tries before I could get on plane. Had no issues with it once on plane and much preferred it over any of the 4-blades. Ended up running a Tempest + on the advice of Mr.X. Ran very similar to the Mirage, but didn't blow out.
    I will say, the boat "feels" much looser in back with a 3 blade and runs a bit skiddish, but it's more predictable on what the boat is going to do. What I didn't like with the 4 blades was that you had no warning whatsoever when the boat was going to get out of control.
    Kind of like running on standard car tires vs racing tires. Standard tires will squeal, slip, and give you some warning before they completely let loose. The race tires will hold the road much better and longer, but once you hit their limit, they let go without warning.
    Why is faster never fast enough.

Thread Information