Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 22 Classic - Prop advice

Pat, I've been looking for the last few years, just so I know what the prices are when I finally decide to go that route.
    Keep an eye on the classified and swap section of OSO. They come up occasionally in the mid to high 2's but go pretty fast.
    Pretty rare to find them at 2k.

I've seen guys post a "wanted" in the swap section and get a couple responses from guys that weren't currently listing.

To get a good used one, expect to pay at least 2500.
    Why is faster never fast enough.

Wouldn't do it. If you must, look at the OSO swap shop or Wilson Marine.
    Try to go XR shaft. There are a few guys in the community who are IMCO dealers too. You get what you pay for, always.

Steering

Quote Originally Posted by Pat McPherson View Post
    A Bravo drive is a little longer than an Alpha and I'm guessing that a Bravo with 2" shorty is similar to an Alpha SS in length.

I would not think 6" below is too high but you could try a 1" spacer.
    I would check drive alignment and make sure your steering is tight/not sloppy.
    Pat I am running standard Merc steering do you think to run the shortie drive I need external steering? Also seems like everyone is using higher pitch props so I will try my 23 Revolution.

Trim-in Limit Insert

Quote Originally Posted by MinxRaider View Post
    Pat I am running standard Merc steering do you think to run the shortie drive I need external steering? Also seems like everyone is using higher pitch props so I will try my 23 Revolution.
    One other question someone said to switch the trim-in limit insert to get the drive tucked down more. Is that going to help my issues?

Quote Originally Posted by MinxRaider View Post
    I've read mostly that at speeds above 65mph that external rams are desired.
    In my experience, if the gimbal and stock internal power steering is all in good shape with minimal play, you're probably good to low 70s. My boat and other that I know of run low to mid 70s with stock Merc power steering and cable helm.
    External steering rams and full hydraulic helm is the way to go if you run hard and above 75mph...

As for the trim limiter, I run mine so that the drive will go all the way down past neutral. This helps mainly to get on plane quickly.
    Thank you, Patrick
    1994 18' Classic 350Mag Alpha

Previously owned Donzis -
    1996 22' Classic, 502Mag Bravo
    1987 20' Minx, 350Mag Alpha
    1975 18' Classic, 350Chevy Volvo 280

Update - 30p Bravo 1

I tried a 30p Bravo 1 yesterday. With 2 people & full fuel it ran 80 mph, the same as with the 28p but at 5,100 rpm vs 5,500 with the 28p. It was a little too rough to really go comfortably so I only did one short speed run. I probably could have trimmed it out a little more if it was smoother and I ran longer. Bottom line though, I think the 30p Bravo is the right prop. It's a handful at 80 and I'll definitely be adding dual ram external steering and reinforcing the transom over the winter.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice, that's progress! Thinking with a lighter load, better water and fall temps, you might see 84 before the season ends.
    "I don't have time to get into it, but he went through a lot." -Pulp Fiction

Update Mercury Racing Max5 28p

Another update and improvement. I tried a Mercury Racing Max5 5-blade 28p prop and without really trying it ran 82.5mph @ 5,300 rpm, about 12% slip. I only trimmed it out about half way. The Max5 seems to really like to be trimmed out, you can really feel the boat respond to trim, but I didn't want to push it too much until I install Latham dual ram steering over the winter. The Max5 runs more efficiently (less slip) and also handles nicely. It steps right up on plane without tabs and turns nicely. This is my best prop so far. I hope this is helpful to someone out there.

http://www.mercuryracing.com/boat-pr...erndrive/max5/

For posterity - 88 mph Merc Max5 29p

For posterity, I ended up liking the Mercury Max5 29p best. 88 mph at 5,400. We're done

That’s Cooking

88mph in a 22’ Donzi is very fast!
    Would you remind us what your engine and drive package is?
    Thank you, Patrick
    1994 18' Classic 350Mag Alpha

Previously owned Donzis -
    1996 22' Classic, 502Mag Bravo
    1987 20' Minx, 350Mag Alpha
    1975 18' Classic, 350Chevy Volvo 280

He is running a 625 horsepower 540. Great numbers ! On the max 5 there are a few different variants in diameter and barrel length. Which did you end up with ?
    better to die on your feet, than live on your knees

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    Another update and improvement. I tried a Mercury Racing Max5 5-blade 28p prop and without really trying it ran 82.5mph @ 5,300 rpm, about 12% slip. I only trimmed it out about half way. The Max5 seems to really like to be trimmed out, you can really feel the boat respond to trim, but I didn't want to push it too much until I install Latham dual ram steering over the winter. The Max5 runs more efficiently (less slip) and also handles nicely. It steps right up on plane without tabs and turns nicely. This is my best prop so far. I hope this is helpful to someone out there.

http://www.mercuryracing.com/boat-pr...erndrive/max5/
    I tried a Max 5 on my boat this spring and the results were opposite yours. Even trimmed to dangerous levels I could not get the bow up and the boat stayed glued to the water. A complete dud on my boat with 525/XR/Imco -2" shorty. I'm back to my labbed 30p Bravo 1, by far the best prop I have tried.
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

That's disappointing news Carl. I was hoping for extraordinary results....as I'm sure you were too.
    Did you ever look into BBlades 4Speed prop? I know he did some testing with a 22C when developing, but I never heard any more.

Quote Originally Posted by yeller View Post
    That's disappointing news Carl. I was hoping for extraordinary results....as I'm sure you were too.
    Did you ever look into BBlades 4Speed prop? I know he did some testing with a 22C when developing, but I never heard any more.
    Glenn, I tried two props this spring and I can't afford to keep doing this. I'm really happy with the Bravo 1 but didn't know if I was leaving something on the table. The owner of the Max 5 says they work great on his boat and he just had to go bigger when he upped his power. He is running a similar set-up as mine on a 22 Classic. He was also kind enough to buy back the prop so I'm only out shipping costs, and the Max 5 is not cheap! Dropping to a 28p Bravo 1 was also no good. Like I said, with the Max 5 I couldn't get any bow lift and therefore couldn't get the RPMs above about 4,700 even though it was a 27p as opposed to my present 30p. Go figure. btw the 28 p Bravo 1 is for sale for $600 or best offer. Perfect condition, no hub.
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

I know all too well how expensive prop testing can be.
    I was just curious if you'd looked into the 4Speed at all, because it peaked my interest a couple years back. When it was being tested, I heard good things about how it performed on a Classic, but only from the original tester. Since it's been released, I've never heard of anyone else trying it, or even looking into it.

Thread Information