Thread: 1976 Donzi 16 v-drive in Kentucky.

1976 Donzi 16 v-drive in Kentucky.

Boat have been for sale for a little over 3 years. Don't know the owner. Now on eBay with starting bid of $12k and 'Buy It Now' $14,500. Was originally advertised for $21k.

“Total rebuilt 1976 SWEET 16' V Hull true V drive. Engine is 406 crate engine built to be supercharged. It currently has boost set at 3 can go to 10. Very dependable low hrs. The boat has necessary instrumentation with gps speedometer. Also has custom trailer pulls very well. Bottom has been painted with very smooth matching blue protecting paint can be docked for extended time. This boat gets tremendous attention from other boaters, it is a beauty. The fact that it is a V-drive makes other Donzi owners very interested in this littly16' boat. It comes with custom made cockpit cover and trailering cover. Expense was not issue when boat had total rebuild. The boat pictures are accurate, some are new some older but boat is as good as when completed. Needs nothing except on small crack on hood scoop needs attention, that's all. Truly great boat in all respects.”
    Year: 1976 Make: Donzi
    Model:
    Sweet 16
    Beam (feet): 5
    Length (feet): 16 Type: Ski
    Use: Fresh Water Trailer: Included
    Hull Material: Fiberglass Engine Type: V-DRIVE
    Primary Fuel Type: Gas Engine Model: GM
    Engine Make: Chevrolet Engine For Sale By: Private Seller
    Fuel Capacity: 11 - 20 Gallons

Contact Seller: 269-420-5413 Now in Louisville, Kentucky, owner previously had it in Battle Creek, Michigan.

eBay link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Donzi-/27276...p=mtr#viTabs_0
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600 1976 Donzi 16 V-Drive.jpg 
Views:	297 
Size:	336.3 KB 
ID:	86096   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600 b 1976 Donzi 16 V-Drive.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	64.3 KB 
ID:	86097  
    LARS THE SWEDE

Says it was sold
    A winner is just a loser that got up and did it one more time.
    1959 Biesemeyer - 4pt Hydro Drag - 2013 ACBS Winner - Best Race Boat
    1967 Nova Marine - SuperNova24 - ACBS Winner - 2012 Best Race Boat - 2016 Peoples Choice & Best Non Wood
    1972 John Allmand - Nova 19
    1972 John Allmand - Nova19 (#2)
    1982 PolarKraft -Jonboat - Crab Killer

I hope it did sell, I've been watching it for years wondering why no one else is buying it.

I can tell you the problem.
    I saw the boat for sale in Michigan for around $18K, then showed up in KY with a starting bid of 13.5 on eBay. After the auction ended I contacted the owner and negotiated 12.5
    I got the address and was driving to KY to tow the boat to CT. I sent a $500 deposit by PayPal as agreed. Was not feeling real comfortable as the pictures appeared to be at least several years old, but the boat was so unique, worth the risk.
    I asked the owner for the HID, so I could get insurance. It came back as a homemade boat from AZ. I told the owner if it ever was a Donzi, it was not any more. Maybe wrecked, or stolen, but it's pedigree was gone. He tried to tell me the previous owner replaced the transom to install thru hulls, total BS.
    I suggested he be careful advertising such a unique boat, because if it was stolen the owner or Insurance Co was probably still looking for it. I said I could not follow up on the transaction because of this and please just said send me back the deposit and we will go our separate ways.
    He refused and suggested I look up the definition of a deposit. I suggested he look up the law about selling stolen goods and false advertising.

So, a v-drive 16 would be an earlier boat than 1976 I think. Probably a 60s boat, actually, I believe. If so, that’d be before the hull ID number standard kicked in in ‘72. My guess is the boat could be real, pre-dated the ‘72 HIN standard, and changed hands in 1976. If so, it could have gotten titled with a home built state HIN. My authentic Nova Marine had a generic Delaware HIN the same way, but was totally legit. I would expect any pre-1972 boat could have a home built HIN assigned from the first state in which it was titled in its first sale after ‘72.
    "I don't have time to get into it, but he went through a lot." -Pulp Fiction

Advertised as a 1976

Understood, what I’ve seen is they are sometimes listed by that first modern HIN that was state-assigned. So, say, a ‘64 first re-sold in ‘76 might be shown on the title now as a ‘76, and listed as such. Owner might not even know the original build year. Might not even know it wasn’t a ‘76. Don’t think it is necessarily wrecked or stolen. Not saying it isn’t, either. Plenty of splashes out there. But feels like it could be real, especially if the v-drive hardware is all correct. Because that stuff is relatively rare and I’d expect a later boat would have begun and stayed an I/O. Just a thought, FWIW.

Pedigree is not necessarily lost. Might be possible to find original build numbers up under the bow somewhere, written with magic marker in the glass. Other folks here will know where to look.

Curious if he gave you the $$ back.

Best of luck with it. Regards,

Mike
    "I don't have time to get into it, but he went through a lot." -Pulp Fiction

----So, Jetjack,,,Did you get your deposit back???......Bill S

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Understood, what I’ve seen is they are sometimes listed by that first modern HIN that was state-assigned. So, say, a ‘64 first re-sold in ‘76 might be shown on the title now as a ‘76, and listed as such. Owner might not even know the original build year. Might not even know it wasn’t a ‘76. Don’t think it is necessarily wrecked or stolen. Not saying it isn’t, either. Plenty of splashes out there. But feels like it could be real, especially if the v-drive hardware is all correct. Because that stuff is relatively rare and I’d expect a later boat would have begun and stayed an I/O. Just a thought, FWIW.

Pedigree is not necessarily lost. Might be possible to find original build numbers up under the bow somewhere, written with magic marker in the glass. Other folks here will know where to look.

Curious if he gave you the $$ back.

Best of luck with it. Regards,

Mike
    It may not be lost but its hurt a bit and will never be a 20+ grand boat. Not even a 13+ grand boat without the paper work straighten out. Depending on what state you are in it could be a simple 5 minute stop to a f_in nightmare. That's why the Donzi I bought from Maine I had the past owner register it (even though it was pretty much a shell) with the proper info. Maryland I would have had to title it as a home built. I tried fixing a title for the 1959 Biesemeyer 4 point hydro. Went to DNR with all the paperwork, documentation and pictures I could come up with. After everything at least now its not an inflatable pontoon boat with a V8 but there is still issues with the title like its not a 1980 and its about 2 feet longer and the maker is still "custom".
    5 grand it may be worth the risk. If you cant prove its a Donzi then you just have a cool clone. 13 grand....find yourself a documented Donzi.
    A winner is just a loser that got up and did it one more time.
    1959 Biesemeyer - 4pt Hydro Drag - 2013 ACBS Winner - Best Race Boat
    1967 Nova Marine - SuperNova24 - ACBS Winner - 2012 Best Race Boat - 2016 Peoples Choice & Best Non Wood
    1972 John Allmand - Nova 19
    1972 John Allmand - Nova19 (#2)
    1982 PolarKraft -Jonboat - Crab Killer

This guy in KY refused to give me back my deposit, even after he had other buyers lining up, or so he claimed. The entire thing started to smell, and I just let it go, $500 won't change my life. I did find a very nice Sweet 16 in Sarasota. I was there on business and got a chance to see it in person. One of the nicest ones I have seen at a very reasonable price. He took it off the market until I can get back in January and we do a sea trial.
    Thanks everyone for the input!
    Jack

'76 was not a V-drive 16.

I " believe " only 12 were ever built. in the 60's. Walter V drives

Thread Information