Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Project Spifire or hunt for a Magnum 27 or maybe.?

Project Spifire or hunt for a Magnum 27 or maybe.?

So having sold my 22 back in November I'm starting to miss it. I'd like something a bit more substantial...kind of to keep the wife more or less happy but still in the spirit and style of the 22.

Back in 2011 I found a Spitfire and the guy still has it and is now willing to let it go. ...will see it in the next few days but it may be quite an undertaking so good possibility not worth it. For sure needs engines/drives but it has been sitting for years and I suspect it is pretty rough.

I like the idea of a unique Donzi Spitfire and of course I'd really like a Magnum 27...just can't find them very easily (maybe I should have bought that hull that just sold here). Thinking of maybe a Pantera 24 or maybe 28.

I suspect I'd have more than the Spit is worth in just engines/drives and probably have 40-50K in it pretty quickly.

Anyone care to weigh in? ...anyone know where there is a good 24-28 boat available that fits my parameters? ...has to have that old school style.

Cheers,
    Jay
    Jay Z.
    '93 White/Teal Classic 22

I guess it also depends on you're location. I love the 27 Magnum. Which I have a 25 IMP Eleganza which is a essentially the same hull as the 27 Mag Minus 2ft. The Pantera 28 or the 24 would get my vote for next. I prefer a single Engine Pantera but that's just me. A friend of mine has a nice 28 Pantera with twin 96's if you're looking? I'm in Maryland so all our boating is done on the Chesapeake.

Quote Originally Posted by KrausMotorSports View Post
    I guess it also depends on you're location. I love the 27 Magnum. Which I have a 25 IMP Eleganza which is a essentially the same hull as the 27 Mag Minus 2ft. The Pantera 28 or the 24 would get my vote for next. I prefer a single Engine Pantera but that's just me. A friend of mine has a nice 28 Pantera with twin 96's if you're looking? I'm in Maryland so all our boating is done on the Chesapeake.
    I'm south of Houston and we need something that will handle the short chop in Galveston Bay. I'm not especially in a hurry but if the right boat came along I'd be interested. ...like I said, I'm going to have a look at the Spit tomorrow and access how far gone it is.
    Jay Z.

Just for fun I monitor this site often .
    Here's the Magnum page http://www.powerboatlistings.com/magnum/
    Of course, a certain 27 is no longer available for sure but I don't know about the others .
    Go back to the home page and have fun looking from there .

As we know from others here who have , or are , re-doing 24' Donzis you could be opening up a real can of worms there .

Just remember , the longer the boat the more help you're going to need comfortably running/handling it .
    Just because something's old doesn't mean you throw it away !

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan's Cloud View Post
    Just for fun I monitor this site often .
    Here's the Magnum page http://www.powerboatlistings.com/magnum/
    Of course, a certain 27 is no longer available for sure but I don't know about the others .
    Go back to the home page and have fun looking from there .

As we know from others here who have , or are , re-doing 24' Donzis you could be opening up a real can of worms there .

Just remember , the longer the boat the more help you're going to need comfortably running/handling it .
    Yeah, I'm a bit concerned about how much work the 24 Spitfire might need. I looked at that powerboatlistings page. Those ads are really, really old. I kind of like the less sporty one listed there with the custom seat forward of the windshield. ...it's not as sexy as the other Magnum Sports but something about it I like but I'm pretty sure it isn't for sale nor any of them listed there.

I mostly sail my 42 foot sailboat so I know about needing crew to run a boat. I'd like to think a 27 with twins wouldn't be too hard...
    Jay Z.

a 24 Sonic would be a worthwhile consideration..
    Charter Member - WAFNC, SBBR, KWOSG
    1955 Perfect Mate
    1986 Hornet III, 502-415 TRS

www.donzi.org

Look into the Warlock's. Check out Greg's multiple postings in the for sale section. You can often get good deals on them. I'm guessing because they aren't as well know as some others.
    Why is faster never fast enough.

I think that Galveston Bay and a 27' Cig/ Squad XII, Magnum or ... would never be a problem. I have even boated there A bit of a handful in an 18...

Panteras in FL

There are several Panteras for sale on craigslist in FL ranging from 24' to 28' in length. Some look decent and some need a little TLC. All seem to be priced attractively compared to a 22 Classic.

'07 22 Classic Shelby GT
    '96 18 Classic - sold
    '69 16 Ski & Sport - sold

Went and looked at the spitfire yesterday... I will post the pics later today.
    Jay Z.

----JayZ,,,It was good of you to call the other day. That 28 Cig sold on E-bay for about a quarter, sorry! There is a great Mirage coming up for sale in NJ. Used to belong to Mark (H20) and the current owner has gone thru it completely, It is very cool!!! Find the post on OSO under classic boats. He hasn't put a price on it yet, but its safe to say it will be way under that 28 Baron and its a better basic hull as well. I think you would love it!......Bill S

Nice local Active Thunder. Solid boats.

https://houston.craigslist.org/boa/6198306671.html
    1970 18 2+3 Hull #18-355 H/M 351W Volvo 250
    07 Cayman IT IS BACK! - '13 Abarth Cabrio

PRESERVE, DON'T RESTORE

Quote Originally Posted by JimG View Post
    Nice local Active Thunder. Solid boats.

https://houston.craigslist.org/boa/6198306671.html
    Looks Solid but not quite what I'm wanting. ...although the kids are after me to get a wakeboard boat so it may not matter in the end anyway. We'll see...
    Jay Z.

Quote Originally Posted by olredalert View Post
    ----JayZ,,,It was good of you to call the other day. That 28 Cig sold on E-bay for about a quarter, sorry! There is a great Mirage coming up for sale in NJ. Used to belong to Mark (H20) and the current owner has gone thru it completely, It is very cool!!! Find the post on OSO under classic boats. He hasn't put a price on it yet, but its safe to say it will be way under that 28 Baron and its a better basic hull as well. I think you would love it!......Bill S

Thanks Bill. ...that Cig sure looked nice. I'll check out the Mirage boats but like I said a minute ago may be going another direction for a bit although I suppose one could wake behind a go fast boat... just couldn't turn a wakeboard boat into a go-fast boat. Something to think about...
    Jay Z.

Quote Originally Posted by JayZ View Post
    ...although the kids are after me to get a wakeboard boat so it may not matter in the end anyway. We'll see...
    NNNNooooooooooo......

Please...no more roll bar boats.....

I wanted to put a smiley at the end, so you know I'm kidding...............but...........I just can't lie to you. I'm not kidding.
    Why is faster never fast enough.

Thread Information