Thread: Alpha Gen II to Bravo 1 swap

Alpha Gen II to Bravo 1 swap

What is needed to swap from a Alpha Gen II to a Bravo One. Its a 99 Z 22 BR with a 350 Mag. Do I need everything from cables to the prop.
    What price can I find a used Bravo set up. What would my Gen II set up be worth ?

Bravo transom assembly is the same cutout as an Alpha but requires a few extra mounting holes. Pretty easy install. Not entirely sure on the cable, but I suspect the lower shift cable is different. Props are a direct fit, but might not work depending on gear ratio.

Check places like bookface (powerboat swap shop) and offshoreonly for a complete drive and transom assy. Last time I looked it would have been $5k and up for a used clean drive and maybe $1k for the transom parts.

I seem to recall $7-8k being a pretty solid cost estimate to do the complete conversion with careful shopping, and $10k at "buy it now" street prices. No idea on the used Alpha market, but I see them on craigslist for $500 or less pretty regularly. A shorty adds cost, but I always felt a -1" would work on the step/pad hull on the BR.

Plenty of room under the hatch for whatever BBC you want to shoehorn in there. On mine the entire bench seat would have had to come out to R&R the engine because it was recessed under the back deck/swim platform; definitely not as plug & play as a 22C or other boats.

If you've got the transom notch and thru hulls (see pic) it will need a VERY custom exhaust to get the BBC headers to line up with the SBC outlets in the transom.

600hp procharged LS might be the answer to go with the Bravo.

Transom.jpg
    "Speed's fine, but accuracy is final."
    - Bill Jordan

1998 Donzi 21LXR
    1971 Boston Whaler 13

You are also going to need a sea water pump as the alphas is in the lower and there is no impeller in a bravo. It would probably be easiest to install a transom mounted pickup and run it to a crank driven pump. I would think that would be the easiest way to transition from an alpha to a bravo regarding the raw water. Also I believe the inner transom plate is the same
    better to die on your feet, than live on your knees

Quote Originally Posted by smokediver View Post
    You are also going to need a sea water pump as the alphas is in the lower and there is no impeller in a bravo. It would probably be easiest to install a transom mounted pickup and run it to a crank driven pump. I would think that would be the easiest way to transition from an alpha to a bravo regarding the raw water. Also I believe the inner transom plate is the same
    If the inner transom plate is the same, will I still need to pull the motor ? Any Ideas about the coupler ?

I think you should. It will make it much easier to route the new shift cable. There is a special tool to adjust the cable travel for the bravo. It's easy to set up and the tool is about 20 bucks or so. The cable routes from the transom forward and trying to feed the cable in with the motor in the boat is a bit difficult. Unless you have a buddy that is a double jointed midget

Quote Originally Posted by duckhunter View Post
    Bravo transom assembly is the same cutout as an Alpha but requires a few extra mounting holes. Pretty easy install. Not entirely sure on the cable, but I suspect the lower shift cable is different. Props are a direct fit, but might not work depending on gear ratio.

Check places like bookface (powerboat swap shop) and offshoreonly for a complete drive and transom assy. Last time I looked it would have been $5k and up for a used clean drive and maybe $1k for the transom parts.

I seem to recall $7-8k being a pretty solid cost estimate to do the complete conversion with careful shopping, and $10k at "buy it now" street prices. No idea on the used Alpha market, but I see them on craigslist for $500 or less pretty regularly. A shorty adds cost, but I always felt a -1" would work on the step/pad hull on the BR.

Plenty of room under the hatch for whatever BBC you want to shoehorn in there. On mine the entire bench seat would have had to come out to R&R the engine because it was recessed under the back deck/swim platform; definitely not as plug & play as a 22C or other boats.

If you've got the transom notch and thru hulls (see pic) it will need a VERY custom exhaust to get the BBC headers to line up with the SBC outlets in the transom.

600hp procharged LS might be the answer to go with the Bravo.

Transom.jpg
    Duck, I found a Bravo I Transom assembly. I have a 1.62 gear on my alpha gen II. What gear should I get for the out drive ?
    I did find a 91 boat and trailer with a 454 at 500 hours with a Bravo I for $4500. I'm thinking the 454 will be o heavy for the Z hull.
    Whats your thoughts ? If I went this way I could sell my 350 mag ( maybe 80 hours)and complete Alpha I for I guess 4-5000 ?

Wait the holes won't line up for the exhaust... Pro charging maybe better ?

Why are you changing over to a Bravo ? The 350 mag / alpha gen2 combo is a pretty reliable package . There are a lot of people on this site , including me , that have spent thousands of dollars on a few mph and in some cases .. lost a lot of reliability . There is something to be said for getting in and just turning the key !
    For what its worth , the 1.62 to 1.47 in a gen2 is like 4 inches of prop . in other words , a 25p on a 1.62 is about the same as a 21 on a 1.47 ... ballparkish ..

Why are you changing over to a Bravo ? The 350 mag / alpha gen2 combo is a pretty reliable package . There are a lot of people on this site , including me , that have spent thousands of dollars on a few mph and in some cases .. lost a lot of reliability . There is something to be said for getting in and just turning the key !
    For what its worth , the 1.62 to 1.47 in a gen2 is like 4 inches of prop . in other words , a 25p on a 1.62 is about the same as a 21 on a 1.47 ... ballparkish ..
    I'm using a Rev 4, 14-5/8 X 19, I see 50 mph at 4800 rpm's.I had a Rev 4,14-5/8 X 20 and got 52 mph then I got the prop worked on by someone who did not know Rev 4 props...I cruise at 4200 rpm's and get 45 mph. The Z22BR is a heavy boat with a 8'-6" beam. I have tried a Bravo One 22 pitch but I got the same speed at 4600 rpm's and lost the hole shot for water skiing. Carrying up to 6-7 family members and having fun is the mission for now... I need to ride in a Classic 22 at 60 plus and see if its really what I want before dropping $ and losing the reliability. You have a great point.

Piling on further, the Alpha is lighter with less drag. Worth 1-2 mph I'd think at least. Maybe 3-4. So, a bravo drive and a 385 horse 454 might net out as little as 1 or 2 mph more speed. I'm thinking it'd actually net you 3 or 4 mph, but you see the notion I think. So, I mightn't even consider it unless you went to a 420 hp BBC or more. (385 hp 454 would give great holeshot though.)
    "I don't have time to get into it, but he went through a lot." -Pulp Fiction

If the goal is to have that many people and enjoy water sports , I think you have a pretty good platform now ! That 350 mag and alpha combo should give you years of turn key reliability.

If the goal is to have that many people and enjoy water sports , I think you have a pretty good platform now ! That 350 mag and alpha combo should give you years of turn key reliability.
    I will leave a good thing as is...

Thread Information