Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Here we go again ...fresh rebuild on the 500 hp

Here we go again ...fresh rebuild on the 500 hp

Okay

Many remember last year mt WIP thread on my 22

I had had bought the boat which supposedly had a fresh rebuild on a 500 HP

WELL

I came ho,e and showered the boat with attention and detail which the thread was about

when spring rolled around and we started to do some in water tuning etc all seemed to be well with one exception ..... it was using oil

I had plans to attend the DUST OFF at lake George to meet the many fine people of this forum that so graciously helped me and not knowing the extent of the oil consumption the family and I went on our first big outing and made the trip to beautiful Lake George

well all o can say is I loved the event and the great people but alas I had no idea how bad the consumption really was till I really ran the boat that first day and realized my fears were correct and my 502 was a two stroke drinking oil at an alarming rate

even though the trip boat wise was a complete disappointment the wonderful people and the surroundings made the trip well worth while

upon returning I realized the many trips I had planned and outings for the season were over

plane and simple I had gotten beaten

the guys that sold me the boat even though on that initial fall test run the boat ran strong had taken a pig and put lipstick on it and sold me a nice hull Great trailer but a tired badly rigged BLUE MOTOR

AFTER ALL THE YEARS OF BOATS I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN BETTER

but i I took them for face value and why would anyone pit high end parts all over a tired motor wrought with problems ?

I went back back and shook what money I could from them

the son is a good kid but the father a real scammer

my engine builder who was my tenant for many years had retired and passed away and his protege with a new job and career change did not have the time or the shop to do me any good

this left me in quandary

I had access to some decent street builders but I really wanted a marine engine builder

this is where Ken C jumped in and made the kind offer to introduce me to Price Turner

Price is in Clayton NY and Ken was kind enough to meet me the day I went up to drop off the motor and show me his great place and his beautiful boat

thanks Ken

i left the basket case case of a Motor there at Price's and knowing that he was busy just told him to keep me updated

as summer ended I told Price to take his time and a long as I had it by spring I would be pleased

over the winter we spoke and Ken and as he tore it down the many problems and mysteries were revealed

needless to say we started all over again

we salvaged what what we could block , heads , Demon Carb , Imco exhaust etc

a few weeks ago Prove said he was getting close

I have a very busy schedule so it was hard to break away to go pick up the motor but we eventually coordinated a time and I offered to bring two of my own mechanics along with another of my buddies to help finish things off

we we made the five hour trip up and spent the day with Price finishing things up and dropped it in late last night bolted it up and ran for the barn trying to get home before the oncoming rains came

we didn't make it half way when it started dumping on us

well I pulled in around 4 am and just got done cleaning it up and now all that is left to do is finish rigging and get it dialed in

so hear we we go again

keep your our fingers crossed for me

I have full confidence in Price's build and I really enjoyed spending the day at his shop with him

all in all I got beat on this boat but the wonderful people that it introduced me too made it all worth while

i don't have any outings planned this season yet but I'm going to ease into it and get it dialed in and we shall see how the season goes

IMG_2333.JPGP5120032.JPGP5120012.JPGP5120042.JPGP5120019.JPGP5120029.JPGIMG_2333.JPGP5120032.JPGP5120012.JPGP5120042.JPGP5120019.JPGP5120029.JPG

Back in the Garage waiting

and chance you can adjust your links?

JP - Thanks for the update. Glad your boat is back in one piece. Hope you have a good, long season.

Ken C is one of the good guys!
    1967 Ski Sporter (sold)
    2004 40th Anniversary Edition 18

Quote Originally Posted by 22classic View Post
    and chance you can adjust your links?

Any tips

this is the way ive always posted pics not sure why it's not working

Attached Images Attached Images

Any tips

this is the way ive always posted pics not sure why it's not working

C'mon Joe, ask your kids!!!!!

John C
    '
    92 Sweet 16 302 Ford
    Windshields are for Sissies!!!

Having issues

I've done this hundreds of times

not sure why I can't paste like normal

P5120019.JPG

Test

Okay

Many remember last year my WIP thread on my 22

I had had bought the boat which supposedly had a fresh rebuild on a 500 HP

WELL

I came home and showered the boat with attention and detail which the thread was about

when spring rolled around and we started to do some in water tuning etc all seemed to be well with one exception ..... it was using oil

I had plans to attend the DUST OFF at lake George to meet the many fine people of this forum that so graciously helped me and not knowing the extent of the oil consumption the family and I went on our first big outing and made the trip to beautiful Lake George

well all I can say is I loved the event and the great people but alas I had no idea how bad the consumption really was till I really ran the boat that first day and realized my fears were correct and my 502 was a two stroke drinking oil at an alarming rate

even though the trip boat wise was a complete disappointment the wonderful people and the surroundings made the trip well worth while

upon returning I realized the many trips I had planned and outings for the season were over

plane and simple I had gotten beaten

the guys that sold me the boat even though on that initial fall test run the boat ran strong had taken a pig and put lipstick on it and sold me a nice hull, great trailer but a tired badly rigged BLUE MOTOR

AFTER ALL THE YEARS OF BOATS I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN BETTER

but i I took them for face value and why would anyone put high end parts all over a tired motor wrought with problems ?

I went back back and shook what money I could from them

the son is a good kid but the father a real scammer

my engine builder who was my tenant for many years had retired and passed away and his protege with a new job and career change did not have the time or the shop to do me any good

this left me in quandary

I had access to some decent street builders but I really wanted a marine engine builder

this is where Ken C jumped in and made the kind offer to introduce me to Price Turner

Price is in Clayton NY and Ken was kind enough to meet me the day I went up to drop off the motor and show me his great place and his beautiful boat

thanks Ken

i left the basket case case of a Motor there at Price's and knowing that he was busy just told him to keep me updated

as summer ended I told Price to take his time and a long as I had it by spring I would be pleased

over the winter we spoke and Ken and as he tore it down the many problems and mysteries were revealed

needless to say we started all over again

we salvaged what what we could block , heads , Demon Carb , Imco exhaust etc

a few weeks ago Prove said he was getting close

I have a very busy schedule so it was hard to break away to go pick up the motor but we eventually coordinated a time and I offered to bring two of my own mechanics along with another of my buddies to help finish things off

we we made the five hour trip up and spent the day with Price finishing things up and dropped it in late last night bolted it up and ran for the barn trying to get home before the oncoming rains came

we didn't make it half way when it started dumping on us

well I pulled in around 4 am and just got done cleaning it up and now all that is left to do is finish rigging and get it dialed in

so hear we we go again

keep your our fingers crossed for me

I have full confidence in Price's build and I really enjoyed spending the day at his shop with him

all in all I got beat on this boat but the wonderful people that it introduced me too made it all worth while

i don't have any outings planned this season yet but I'm going to ease into it and get it dialed in and we shall see how the season goes

IMG_2332.JPG

IMG_2333.JPG

P5120012.JPG

P5120019.JPG

P5120029.JPG

P5120032.JPG

My my friends that helped

P5120039.JPG

Price Turner

P5120042.JPG

Home cleaned up ready for rest of rigging

32FF2EAD-9440-4194-8B3F-6CBE2CE56383.JPG

Hi Joe!
    Glad you finally got it home!
    Say Hi! to your family.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Quote Originally Posted by gcarter View Post
    Hi Joe!
    Glad you finally got it home!
    Say Hi! to your family.

Hey buddy

ill I'll be calling you as soon as I get it running

give our best to your lovely wife my friend

Don't forget to align the motor. You can get the tool off Ebay and you don't need the $300 stainless one either.

Sorry to hear of your troubles. The good thing is, you know what you have now.

Regards,
    Taz
    Da Taz
    "Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary will get you every time."
    Wes

Quote Originally Posted by txtaz View Post
    Don't forget to align the motor. You can get the tool off Ebay and you don't need the $300 stainless one either.

Sorry to hear of your troubles. The good thing is, you know what you have now.

Regards,
    Taz

We stuck the tool in before we left Price's and we were good to go

yes it is good to know exactly what we have

You might want to check that shiny new shifter. Mine had issues with the indents on the shifter shaft. There was no lubrication on the shaft and had some marring.

ShifterShaft.jpg

Taz
    Da Taz
    "Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary will get you every time."
    Wes

Good Luck with the Rebuild!

Did you stick with the original Merc/Crane HP500 cam or change?
    Any upgrades/differences from a stock HP500 other than the carb and exhaust?
    Thank you, Patrick
    1994 18' Classic 350Mag Alpha

Previously owned Donzis -
    1996 22' Classic, 502Mag Bravo
    1987 20' Minx, 350Mag Alpha
    1975 18' Classic, 350Chevy Volvo 280

Quote Originally Posted by txtaz View Post
    You might want to check that shiny new shifter. Mine had issues with the indents on the shifter shaft. There was no lubrication on the shaft and had some marring.

ShifterShaft.jpg

Taz

Will do

thanks for the heads up

Quote Originally Posted by Pat McPherson View Post
    Did you stick with the original Merc/Crane HP500 cam or change?
    Any upgrades/differences from a stock HP500 other than the carb and exhaust?

We changed everything

ill get a list from Price and post it up

Thread Information