Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: ISO GT windshield

ISO GT windshield

Just picked this 1971 GT 21' up this past weekend ... alls good except the funky replacement (from what I have no clue) windshield. I'm looking for an original ... anyone holding or direct me??

Thanks

Paul - new guy / 71 GT
    Atl. Ga. area

Welcome to the site. Nice purchase and first post. You'll get some pointers here from folks in the know but in the meantime maybe run it with no windshield at all.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1972 16 OB - C16B-63 - "Surface Tension" Resto Project
    1974 16 OB - DMR16106017-B - "The Mule"

Thanks Greg.

Plan right now is to fab a aluminum one like the "Shelby" style until an original can be procured. Maybe a bit higher though.

It's going to be a major PITA finding a fabricator who can duplicate an original style GT21 windscreen but it would sure be worth it . The GT21 just doesn't look right with anything else on it .

Up until a few years back there was a company called Aluminum 2000 who could custom fabricate boat windscreens from scratch (your design supplied) but I was saddened to hear that they've now stepped out of that area of business .

GT21s are really pretty ! !
    Just because something's old doesn't mean you throw it away !

I'll do my best ... being a retired GE welder & spent time working in a drag race fab shop. I'll also have a bit of help from past Patrick Racing fab/welder (he built Mario's Indy cars in the 70's) ... we might be able to come up with something that looks decent ... or try.

I'm still on the hunt for an original though ... nothing like an original. They look like the windshield used on early Century Resorters:

----The original GT21 windshields were great looking, but very weak across the top. Because of that the top aluminum piece would cave in if anyone grabbed it. Donzi actually had an optional brace that went from the center top down to the dash. My GT that I bought new had that brace. Donzi also had optional side window vents to get much needed fresh air in the cockpit on hot days.......Bill S

Quote Originally Posted by olredalert View Post
    ----The original GT21 windshields were great looking, but very weak across the top. Because of that the top aluminum piece would cave in if anyone grabbed it. Donzi actually had an optional brace that went from the center top down to the dash. My GT that I bought new had that brace. Donzi also had optional side window vents to get much needed fresh air in the cockpit on hot days.......Bill S
    Picture of said windshield & brace? I may duplicate something very close to original.

THX.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by 71 GT View Post
    Picture of said windshield & brace? I may duplicate something very close to original.

THX.
    Paul
    The photo in post #2 IS the original GT21 windscreen , minus the support that Bill spoke of.
    If you have the wherewithall to make a windscreen like that from scratch you hardly need to see a picture of the support , you'll probably make a better one than the original out of your own imagination

Incidentally , I'm guessing that the original windscreens were plexi not actually tempered glass. Would that be correct ?
    Just because something's old doesn't mean you throw it away !

You're probably correct on that .... I have already thought about using lexan & flush mounting to frame ala drag race cars ...

I'll put some thought into it but a friend has a large waterjet machine so nothing is off the table yet. I was just trying to keep it close to original.

I'll show progress after I get back from my TX trip next week.

Paul

Look at Arabian windshield as wll

You may be able to find a 1980's 19ft Arabian. They had the same frame as the reporter but with the longer sides. They also had the vent windows. The side windows were a smoked plexus glass. All you would have to do is make the windshield have more of a slant.it won't be easy but atleast it would be a starting point

U will definitely want to check out Carl's ride...
    FISH HARD

Thanks all ... appreciate the directions. I'll keep looking for an original but work on a replacement. The one that's on the vessel now is a bit tall & ugly.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by 71 GT View Post
    Thanks all ... appreciate the directions. I'll keep looking for an original but work on a replacement. The one that's on the vessel now is a bit tall & ugly. Paul
    What state are you located in Paul?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Guimond View Post
    What state are you located in Paul?
    Georgia ... I live 34 miles N of Atlanta & run my boats at Lake Lanier primarily.

I could look at my notes over the next couple of days. There is a very accomplished shop that specializes in glass and lexan in your general area. Can't remember, but might even be in GA if you are interested.

Thread Information