Thread: Fuel Tank replacement

Fuel Tank replacement

I am going to need a new tank for my Formula Jr.
    I do not want to take the deck off.

Stupid question here so don't beat me up

Is it a bad idea to secure a tank under the deck on top of the floor?
    If you have never seen the space down there on a Jr, there is a ton.

What would be the downsides with one there?

Make the commitment to pop the deck off and do EVERYTHING that
    can be done better w/o it.
    It's a lot easier than you may first think. You and 3 or 4 friends can lift it off.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

If you're going to do a decent resto/reno and you're planning to put in any engine package bigger than what's in it now IMHO you're going to need to pop the deck to reinforce/build-up the hull anyway .

The hull bottom of that thing isn't probably even 1/4'' thick and the stringers might be an inch thick .

Pop that deck ! !
    Just because something's old doesn't mean you throw it away !

Weight distribution probaby an issue

Don't see how you can move the tank up and forward without a significant ride / handling impact. Could be dangerous. Fuel is 6 pounds per gallon. My 22C has a big tank that extends forward (it is the one that once had an outboard), and the handling really improves as the fuel burns off. It's hard to get the bow up on a full tank.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck with the job. I have been postponing the tank upgrade on my 18 for years. Still going at this point.

- Don

Quote Originally Posted by gcarter View Post
    Make the commitment to pop the deck off and do EVERYTHING that
    can be done better w/o it.
    It's a lot easier than you may first think. You and 3 or 4 friends can lift it off.
    I agree with George.
    I thought it was going to be a daunting task when I had to remove mine, but I was pleasantly surprised at how simple it really was.
    I could easily replace the tank in my 22 in a weekend, by myself, using an engine hoist. Deck and hull were only screwed together. (I drilled the screw holes out a bit bigger and through bolted deck/hull together when putting it back on. Mine's an 04. I believe the older boats have some fiberglass "tabs" that will need to be cut). All the wiring and cables stayed with the hull when the deck came off.
    I had help removing my deck, but once Lenny set up the lifting support, I found that I was able to put it back on solo.....and could have taken it off solo also.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Why is faster never fast enough.

Do it the right way and remove the deck...period. Any other way its a rig and half assed. When a person who looks at the boat and sees it done that way they will automatically think...Gee I wonder what else is half assed. It will kill the resale as well.

Sorry...you asked. Just not sugar coating it for you.

Scott Pearson
    President, Lake George Donzi Classic Club
    www.lgdonziclassic.com

Pull the deck!

But, you can see from the Wynn Mill plans that a fuel tank can be sort of, through floor mounted. Although in this case it had to be as the boat was wood and had more structure in there.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sean Conroy,
    1964 Formula Jr. (hull #2) project

1972 Greavette Sunflash III
    1981 Kavalk Mistral project

"A man can accomplish anything... as long as he doesn't care who gets the credit."

Thread Information