Thread: Found a great deal on crank driven water pumps

Found a great deal on crank driven water pumps

If you're thinking of getting a crank driven water pump, this guy has a few available:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Johnson-F6B-...-/122298287187

I noticed the flange on my pump was cracked, due to an improper installation, so checked ebay and found the above. He's asking $100obo, but he accepted my offer of $80. I probably could have got it for even less, but I'm more than happy with $80. My other option was a new one at about three times that.

I just received it yesterday and I took the impeller out to check the condition. Except for a very minor bit of corrosion inside the housing, it's like new. A light scuff with sandpaper and it cleaned right up.
    Why is faster never fast enough.

Good deal!!! Can the crank driven pumps be a
    replacement to a standard accessory belt driven pump???
    FISH HARD

Plumbing wise, it certainly could be done. I had actually thought of doing it for the 502, because I was having such a hard time making a stock pump work with my setup. I don't know if the flow would be sufficient throughout the rpm range though. You'd have to research the flow data of the pump. I never got that far.

volvo/penta uses a crank driven pump on their 496s which is also freshwater cooled . I would imagine it would be fine . George would know.
    better to die on your feet, than live on your knees

Quote Originally Posted by smokediver View Post
    volvo/penta uses a crank driven pump on their 496s which is also freshwater cooled . I would imagine it would be fine . George would know.
    As the engine water circulation pump? Are you sure? Not saying it isn't so. Just surprised.

As the main raw water pump feeding the heat exchanger. I believe they use a standard engine water circulation pump for coolant. Google Volvo penta 496 and look at the images. You will see a small crank driven water pump.

Quote Originally Posted by yeller View Post
    As the engine water circulation pump? Are you sure? Not saying it isn't so. Just surprised.
    Yep! More than adequate.
    The other alternative is a remote Meziere 55 GPM electric pump like I used.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Thread Information