Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: I don't know if this can be done...

FYI: To run that intake (or any intake) in open loop, speed density, you'll only need a MAP and Throttle Position sensor. Both of which are easily added.
    Why is faster never fast enough.

Woobs, I'm not an expert on this subject by any stretch of the imagination, but I have been doing some research on it in the last year, because of my current build. Regardless of whether you decide to go open or closed loop, it's going to have to be tuned with an o2. You could tune it on the dyno using their o2's, drop it in the boat and forget about it. That's one way, and a very common way of doing it.
    Your other option is (with or without the dyno tune), tune it on the water. This could involve actually tuning it while on the water, or running data logs under specific situations and tweaking it later, based on the logs. This of course, will require o2's. You can run the o2's only for tuning, or leave them in permanently.
    It seems to me, most guys are running the o2's only for tuning, because they end up killing the sensor if left in. At the same time, there are some guys that are running them full time, but they are in the minority. There's a guy on OSO, (I think it's Wasted Income) that was regularly killing his sensors until he installed the shield/extender, I posted. I think he said he was changing the sensor every couple months and once he put the shield in, (and when he posted) he had 3 yrs on the current sensor.

IMO, because you'd be getting that intake (which looks expensive) and have to get an ecu....and then have to tune the motor, I'd forego the "dyno only" tune and plan to use o2's. The extra expense is minimal; comparably. The spacer plates you need to make for your logs, are relatively easy and cheap to fabricate and the sensors themselves are $50 ~ $100 each. Then you have the option to finalize the tune on the water under real-world conditions. You can decide to run open or closed loop after your happy with how it's running.

That is my unsolicited, uneducated, opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by yeller View Post
    FYI: To run that intake (or any intake) in open loop, speed density, you'll only need a MAP and Throttle Position sensor. Both of which are easily added.
    Just realized I commented without really considering the true construction of that intake you posted. Not sure if that manifold has a common plenum. If it doesn't, you wouldn't be able to use a MAP sensor.

Just realized I commented without really considering the true construction of that intake you posted. Not sure if that manifold has a common plenum. If it doesn't, you wouldn't be able to use a MAP sensor.
    You raise good points Yeller.....
    I'm an FI neophyte so, I naively trust that solutions exist (people that design these systems are way smarter than me). In this case, apparently, this system uses both a MAP sensor and has a TPS included. The manufacturer phoned me (has phoned me 3 times to discuss things) to tell me there is a common plenum in the structure of the manifold.
    I think the bung extender is a great idea for some added protection.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sean Conroy,
    1964 Formula Jr. (hull #2) project

1972 Greavette Sunflash III
    1981 Kavalk Mistral project

"A man can accomplish anything... as long as he doesn't care who gets the credit."

I'm a neophyte to efi also. My boat has been efi for years, but I've never had to actually do anything with it before.

Here's a short thread that might help you make up your mind. No real good info. Don't expect much. Just someone considering going carb to efi.
    http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...d-density.html

Have you already bought the intake?

No, I haven't bought anything yet. (that intake system is $4000!) I'm so far away from really doing the drive train as first I have the entire hull to restore. I'm not rushing. This summer I plan to have the inside of the hull complete. I have been pulling apart the engines I have to keep the project moving forward in the cold but, soon I'll be glassing and mechanical stuff will be on the shelf.

This Formula Jr. will be my personal toy. She is going to be a "benchseat" inspired by a cross of the early Cowes/Torquay offshore racers built based on the Wynn Mill II and the woody Gentleman's racers. I have a nice 18' woody for regular use to take the wife & friends out for a ride on the lakes and it's been to the ACBS shows too. I would say it is nothing "stunning" but, it's clean, comfortable, reliable, rides nice and is easy to drive. She will still do just over 50mph with 4 passengers. I love the boat but, it's not real exciting. If I replaced it... it would be with a Donzi 22.

As a 2nd boat, the Formula Jr. will truly be a "hot rod". This boat is all about the looks and the stack injection just looks so cool! I was inspired by a guy that marinized a Jaguar V12 (for his woody) and built his own stack FI system, not to mention his own wet exhaust manifolds. Stacks just jump out as not many boats have them. I would have loved to built a V12 but, it's just too costly for not much power (300 HP). The V8 systems are all off the shelf... sort of.

Also, at my age I don't know how many projects I have left so, this one will be taking quite some time and I have time to research everything over and again. This boat should be different, a fibreglass eye catcher at the wood dominated ACBS show... and be sturdy enough to go wave pounding ...while at the same time be just plain fun to drive. Top speed is not my concern but, I'll be aiming for 70's. Money is an issue however, spread across the years of the project I'll be able to swing it without compromising any features I want. I will be upside down at the end of it but, it's the boat I want to build.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sean Conroy,

"A man can accomplish anything... as long as he doesn't care who gets the credit."

$4k is nothing........................................... .................................when it's someone else's money.....so I say go for it!

Quote Originally Posted by woobs View Post
    I will be upside down at the end of it but, it's the boat I want to build.
    It's a boat. I was upside down in mine the day I pulled the original motor.

I completely understand the obsession. It's the build process and doing it yourself that makes the boat that much more enjoyable to run.

I completely understand the obsession. It's the build process and doing it yourself that makes the boat that much more enjoyable to run.
    Yeah, I agree 100%.
    The restoration was enjoyable.....it would have been more enjoyable
    if there hadn't been a recession in the middle of it!
    At my age though (72), I think I'm ready to move on and I'll probably
    offer the 22C Testa Rossa for sale soon.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Quote Originally Posted by gcarter View Post
    I think I'm ready to move on and I'll probably
    offer the 22C Testa Rossa for sale soon.
    How about a trade for a nice woody
    2015-06-13 19.44.19.jpg
    Sean Conroy,

Quote Originally Posted by woobs View Post
    How about a trade for a nice woody
    2015-06-13 19.44.19.jpg
    LOL...good one!
    I'm thinking that the next project will be to build something on two wheels.....
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

George you need a Vincent!

Ken

​Yes I Do!!!
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

Thread Information