Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Decisions 330hp 454/ 350 260hp

Decisions 330hp 454/ 350 260hp

Nearing this season i'm falling short on my 454 build from over the winter for my 22 Classic. My current engine is designed to run a dry exhaust system. New cost for lightning headers is around $4200 and Stainless Marine around the same maybe more. So i'm left with two options. My options are a Carb to oil pan Merc 260hp 350 from my 87 Sunbird beater boat and hours unknown (considering I found the gas tanks leaks over the winter) not sure if it's worth fixing. The 350 runs strong, no knocks nothing weird or that sort of thing. My second option is a 270 hour Drop in ready Merc 454 Gen VI 330hp untouched from a friends Velocity (1997). Looking for input on reason I should do one or the other. This is my first Donzi so I'm looking for input as to what i'll be happier with throughout this season.
    -Part the Sunbird out use the 350….Sell the Alpha and parts
    -Sell the Sunbird and go with the 454….. Shooting for same price as the "friend" offer.
    -sell the Donzi and be a hermit over the summer (not an option)
    My 22 Classic is a Bravo setup…..
    This would just be a temporary setup until next year.

A 22 will never be happy with a small block.
    A winner is just a loser that got up and did it one more time.
    1959 Biesemeyer - 4pt Hydro Drag - 2013 ACBS Winner - Best Race Boat
    1967 Nova Marine - SuperNova24 - ACBS Winner - 2012 Best Race Boat - 2016 Peoples Choice & Best Non Wood
    1972 John Allmand - Nova 19
    1972 John Allmand - Nova19 (#2)
    1982 PolarKraft -Jonboat - Crab Killer

I ran am 350 mag in my 22 for a couple of seasons. The boat handles and rode very well. With the mag mine would still run 60mph and would cruise at 35-40 mph with out using much gas. I would go with the small block just to get it running and get some seat time

Well, this kind of advice is worth what you pay for it...... I'll assume your mattress' at home are not spilling over with cash as stuffing but, you do have some resources to invest in boating.

I'd transplant the SBC from the Sunbird into the Donzi and sell off the extra parts/get then rid of the hulk. This is the least cash layout if you do the labour yourself and will help you focus on one boat. In fact, this course of action may even generate the start of your "Donzi Improvement Fund". In this scenario, you get some real hands on experience with your Donzi as to rigging & layout. Further, you get to know your particular boat really well so you can identify any other potential issues and plan to rectify them. Lastly, while you will not need to change your diapers while driving your 22 in this "SBC condition" you will get seat time to get to know her and the bonus of being on the water in short order this season.

Make sure you start your DIF immediately and contribute regularly (and generously). You can then plan for, and concurrently build the monster lump to end all lumps and propel you to speeds well past your comfort zone and abilities (It just cost money) and have the C22 you dream about instead of what circumstances stuck you with.

Happy boating
    Sean Conroy,
    1964 Formula Jr. (hull #2) project

1972 Greavette Sunflash III
    1981 Kavalk Mistral project

"A man can accomplish anything... as long as he doesn't care who gets the credit."

Stainless Marine exhaust is $2000
    LS would do nicely in that boat.
    Phil did a 383, does anyone know how much power it made?

Jeff
    " Just piercing the surface"

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by woobs View Post
    Well, this kind of advice is worth what you pay for it...... I'll assume your mattress' at home are not spilling over with cash as stuffing but, you do have some resources to invest in boating.

I'd transplant the SBC from the Sunbird into the Donzi and sell off the extra parts/get then rid of the hulk. This is the least cash layout if you do the labour yourself and will help you focus on one boat. In fact, this course of action may even generate the start of your "Donzi Improvement Fund". In this scenario, you get some real hands on experience with your Donzi as to rigging & layout. Further, you get to know your particular boat really well so you can identify any other potential issues and plan to rectify them. Lastly, while you will not need to change your diapers while driving your 22 in this "SBC condition" you will get seat time to get to know her and the bonus of being on the water in short order this season.

Make sure you start your DIF immediately and contribute regularly (and generously). You can then plan for, and concurrently build the monster lump to end all lumps and propel you to speeds well past your comfort zone and abilities (It just cost money) and have the C22 you dream about instead of what circumstances stuck you with.

Happy boating
    Woobs,
    I couldn't have asked for a better response. Boat needs some cleaning up and this is the cheapest way out. I'll enjoy it and won't cost me as much. I have had some other faster setups with scarabs and IMP's in the 600hp range. But you are absolutely right on the mattress! I cut it open and now I need a new mattress. Haha! Thanks for the advice. My friends that know me locally know I like being up front. Maybe not this year. But I needed to hear this.... Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by HallJ View Post
    Stainless Marine exhaust is $2000
    LS would do nicely in that boat.
    Phil did a 383, does anyone know how much power it made?

Jeff
    Due to my cam specs it was going to be a dry setup and since my Classic was originally a small block/Bravo boat I would have to cut the holes at 4.5" anyway to match the 454. It would be close. Small block is 24" center and big block is slightly wider at I believe 27/28 from Lightning marine.
    As far as exhaust I was just comparing new prices. Trust me I had a pair of Stellings for my IMP that are dry I considered making work but in the end I still need tails since my stelling are for a TRS but I didn't want to wait around for a used set going up for sale.
    -LS was also another option. I do have a spare Lq9 6.0 that would be great but that's also very pricey for accessories/ exhaust. Maybe later down the road. Or the 454 gen VI I'm sure fly building. Which is around the 500hp mark.

I vote for the SBC!
    There have been many over the years and no one complained other
    than they couldn't go much over 60. Of course early 22's w/ 454 310 HP
    couldn't either.

My dream for a 22 would be a 454 LSX, say 500 HP w/SBC architecture.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Quote Originally Posted by gcarter View Post
    I vote for the SBC!
    There have been many over the years and no one complained other
    than they couldn't go much over 60. Of course early 22's w/ 454 310 HP
    couldn't either.

That would be great! Now I'm a motor head through and through. Never biased on brand but many don't like the LS because the lack of torque. As light as these donzi are and they were never designed to run at 70+ all the time. I'd say a LSX 454 would be the best of both worlds.

Quote Originally Posted by KrausMotorSports View Post
    I do have a spare Lq9 6.0 that would be great but that's also very pricey for accessories/ exhaust.
    I can't whole heartedly recommend Marine Power, because I've been waiting over 5 months for my exhaust, but their aluminum manifolds are no more expensive the SBC/BBC ones. You can get LS headers for the same price as you will spend on the Lightnings for your BBC.
    As far as accessories, they don't have to be expensive. The flywheel was under $100, motor mount adapters can be had for under $50. You could put a carb on it if you don't want to deal with the cost of efi/computer. I'm using the alternator off my 502, power steering pump off a Chevy Trailblazer, steering reservoir off my 496HO and idler pulleys from a Dodge P/U.

Except for the cost of the computer, what it's costing me to do my LS is no more expensive than if I was doing a SBC or BBC..........and if I needed a computer for the SBC/BBC, then there is hardly any difference in cost.

The LS isn't any more expensive than other builds, it's just that they still seem to be relatively unknown in the boating world, even though the engines been around for 20yrs now.

.......but if you can get up and running with the SBC for this year, then that's what I'd do.............................well............... it's not really what I would do, but it is the smart thing do.
    Why is faster never fast enough.

Quote Originally Posted by gcarter View Post
    Well.... if we are dreaming I'd vote for the Ilmor MV10! (Unfortunately they are discontinued) or maybe a marine version of that Falconer V12
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sean Conroy,
    1964 Formula Jr. (hull #2) project

1972 Greavette Sunflash III
    1981 Kavalk Mistral project

"A man can accomplish anything... as long as he doesn't care who gets the credit."

Quote Originally Posted by yeller View Post
    I can't whole heartedly recommend Marine Power, because I've been waiting over 5 months for my exhaust, but their aluminum manifolds are no more expensive the SBC/BBC ones. You can get LS headers for the same price as you will spend on the Lightnings for your BBC.
    As far as accessories, they don't have to be expensive. The flywheel was under $100, motor mount adapters can be had for under $50. You could put a carb on it if you don't want to deal with the cost of efi/computer. I'm using the alternator off my 502, power steering pump off a Chevy Trailblazer, steering reservoir off my 496HO and idler pulleys from a Dodge P/U.

Except for the cost of the computer, what it's costing me to do my LS is no more expensive than if I was doing a SBC or BBC..........and if I needed a computer for the SBC/BBC, then there is hardly any difference in cost.

The LS isn't any more expensive than other builds, it's just that they still seem to be relatively unknown in the boating world, even though the engines been around for 20yrs now.

.......but if you can get up and running with the SBC for this year, then that's what I'd do.............................well............... it's not really what I would do, but it is the smart thing do.

Woob: Also the Ilmors just showed it's head in the auto industry. There is a Jay Leno episode of a 68 Dodge Charger with a dual over head cam marine engine.

Yeller: Let me explain I am actively in the Ford Mod motor/ LS truck and cobra/mustang world with forums and such. Not many "land lock" auto enthusiast people know the marine industry at all. But to build a nice mod motor or LS you will spend 10k-15k. The Ilmor's I know are $50k+ just guessing. But the same goes for the opposite in the marine industry. I'm sure the building engineers can build a marine version of a mod motor if there was a market for it. Until then it's up to us to fund the individual LS swaps. Such as the one you posted. Thanks for posting. There is good info in your post!

personally, I love small blocks in 22's, best ride out there

especially STOUT one's
    Charter Member - WAFNC, SBBR, KWOSG
    1955 Perfect Mate
    1986 Hornet III, 502-415 TRS

www.donzi.org

I'd think the new Volvo 430 6.2 would be interesting in a 22, along those lines. Would expect it'd outrun the BBCs of the same HP. (Revs are a bit high though.)
    "I don't have time to get into it, but he went through a lot." -Pulp Fiction

Now i'm really excited to have this small block in it. It will be a change of ride compared to what I usually run. I think i'll be surprised.

Thread Information